Do you buy second hand games/consoles?

Options

Comments

• goonarmy
    goonarmy Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    Options
    Xbox 360 off ebay for sixty quid. Have a few games but buy them over a counter so i can see em and see em working.
  • KeepRightOn1
    Options
    I always buy Games and Consoles from either shops or from people I know so I could return it if it wasn't to my satisfaction. I personally wouldn't buy off a random guy in a shop.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I could never afford to buy every game new.

Some titles I get new from Amazon - I usually get a good deal there.

For others I go to Game and but them 2nd Hand. This is especially good for 'Puzzle' type games for the Nintendo DS - I buy a used copy, play the game and then return it to Game and get some of my money back.

For newer (but not 'just-released') games I sometimes borrow them from the local library to see if I like them before deciding whether to buy.

I rarely have any problems with 2nd Hand Games. If I DO have a problem then Game are actually rather good at sorting things, and will happily exchange a game if it is proved faulty.
  • Charleston
    Options
    I got a used Xbox360 Fat for 80€ with a controller. Pretty nice deal, I also got two games with it. It works perfectly, really there is no problem, except that it is not sparkling white anymore.
  • chezybezy
    chezybezy Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 November 2013 at 5:34PM
    Options
    consoles no (although if i want a new ps2 i wont have a choice!) - im one of those people who can break things without doing anything so i wont go near anything tech preowned.

The bulk of my comments below are r.e. used Xbox 350 Games. However the feelings also apply to used DVDs / used Blurays from them too!

used Games - its hit and miss, ive had a few off of ebay and i am picky and no matter the reassurances made they have been a serious disappointment, almost unplayable until i got them cleaned up.

amazon marketplace - again hit and miss, some perfect some dreadful (although i think those were ps1 / ps2 games).

Play market - i got a couple of tomb raider games from them and a few other hard to find ones - avoid like the plague - my experience it makes cex look good!

I find Game to be the best for pre owned discs never had a problem! and its very rare that even i find anything to be picky about. Though i still go for new when i can especially for 'my' games (the ones i go for midnight releases for / special editions etc) -

with used always check about online activations etc usually a quick google will save your behind.

Cex - well again its hit and miss some are REALLY dreadful and others ok, i only use them for those hard to find ones as i could not find them anywhere - I ask to see the disc / manual / case etc

ive had a look in other places but to be honest for used i will now only use Game's preowned as they have never let me down!
    - Chez
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I bought a game new, I mostly play on PC so its steam sales and humble bundle which keep me entertained.

I do have a pile of 3DS games all used haven't paid more than £6 for any of them.

As for hardware, I have a couple of used 360 slims which I got form cash generator (used mostly for media extenders).

With that I got my 3DS brand new as the condition of those used can be shocking, and it was only £94.99.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Pookle
    Pookle Posts: 506 Forumite
    Options
    I do yes, I buy 2nd hand DS games from Amazon and buy Wii games from Game. They're always really helpful, not that I've had an issue.
  • issey
    issey Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    If i was buying a second hand console i would have to buy a new controller, i'm not down for using someones sweaty controller with their dead skin in the analog sticks.

If your buying preowned games always check the disc before buying it!
  • criboo
    criboo Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a second hand PS3 from GAME a couple years back, and while I had it it worked flawlessly. I used to also buy a ton of second hand Xb360/PS3 games second hand, and I'd have no qualms over doing it again.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't like CEX, they always smell funny.

Their stores have a distinct aroma, I wouldn't buy 2nd hand games or consoles but do wait for certain games to drop in price, I picked up AC4 for £12 at Asda during one of their odd sales.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure