PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying reduced items/discount items in 2018

I have decided to see how much I can actually save myself by trying to buy as much as possible in 2018, which is yellow stickered or reduced and keep a tally of the savings. Just to see how much I will save ;

I will start this on January 1st 2018
Please join in if you would like to.
I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Comments

• I have been thinking along the same lines myself, so yes, would like to join in.

I've made a couple of good savings recently by looking for discount codes before buying, and will continue doing this.
  • I do buy YS when I can however i don't keep a tally of the savings so perhaps I should try this.
  • I am happy to join in I will be checking out the Twinings tree bags as I have a 50p off voucher to use up, plus I always keep a good look out for Y/S stuff Veg especially as it can be turned into a decent filling soup for lunches for pennies
  • Would love to join in too please, already YS active, but actual savings would be interesting. Although to be fair some of the YS of late I would never buy at the full price!

2022 Grocery Challenge £20.45 / £2600
  • Although to be fair some of the YS of late I would never buy at the full price!

This is my problem :o so I am not sure if if YS items are a saving for me, more of an additional cost :o

Good luck to every one in your challenge I am not taking part but will follow you all for inspiration.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Also worth remembering that YS isn't always a saving. Annoys me no end when stuff that is 3 for a tenner gets marked individually YS as reduced to £3.49
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm in too please!! just got a trolley of ys goodies from morrisons.....enough for fridge/freezer/ us/ the dogs/ the chickens and ducks! paid £18!! happy days. xx
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm not sure if there are genuine savings, often i buy things because they are reduced, for example tonight I went into m and s. I bought some profiteroles, wouldn't have bought them but reduced to 30p so I did. There were some fresh apple tarts 40p. Some prawn lollipop things 25p. Sausage rolls 20p. Macaroni cheese with leeks 45p. Potatoes for jackets 2 for 30p. Stuffed mushrooms 35p. Tomatoes and spring onions 45p and 20p. I won't waste anything but I wouldn't have paid full price so I'm not sure if I have saved anything.
    If I hadn't bought them i would have made macaroni cheese with bits already in the house. Husband will have sausage rolls in his packed lunch, but if I hadn't bought them he would have had a cheese sandwich. We ate the profiteroles watching TV tonight, but it would have been better for our waistline if we hadn't!

Do others get sucked in by prices being so low or do you only buy things to replace things you would have bought anyway?
  • JIL,

I only ever buy ys if it is on my list OR if it is on my menu planner for the next two weeks.

Mrs SD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • This year (and from now on hopefully) I'm only going to buy YS items IF they fit into the menu plan. I've been a bit of a yellow sticker addict and have realised that I'm like a squirrel gathering everything in because it's reduced and buying in things that are not getting used before the viable date leading to an element of unnecessary waste of money. YS isn't what it was in our local supermarkets though and the prices are still sometimes higher than I'd consider paying full price. The exception that I would pre-purchase is meat and fish which I can freeze and then work into a meal plan later on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure