Help To Buy with Cash ISA Question

Options
Quick question as I really have no idea. From the information I can find it seems to be some providers offer a Cash ISA which you can hold alongside the Help To Buy ISA - this indicates to me that in most cases you cannot pay into a Cash ISA as well as a Help To Buy.

Is this the case?

My present standing is that I have a Cash ISA for the current tax year with Provider A but I would like to open a Help To Buy ISA with Provider B.

Is this allowed or not?

There doesn't seem to be much information around about people who already hold a Cash ISA and would like to benefit from the Help To Buy scheme.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 October 2019 at 3:41PM
    Options
    Robin_TBW wrote: »
    Quick question as I really have no idea. From the information I can find it seems to be some providers offer a Cash ISA which you can hold alongside the Help To Buy ISA - this indicates to me that in most cases you cannot pay into a Cash ISA as well as a Help To Buy.

Is this the case?
    Yes.
    My present standing is that I have a Cash ISA for the current tax year with Provider A but I would like to open a Help To Buy ISA with Provider B.

Is this allowed or not?
    No.

You could transfer your existing cash ISA to provider B and open an HTB alongside it, as long as provider B is one of those supporting split ISAs, or open an HTB with provider A if they support splits.
    There doesn't seem to be much information around about people who already hold a Cash ISA and would like to benefit from the Help To Buy scheme.
    See https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/help-to-buy-ISA/#accordion-content-289218858-0

Also worth considering Lifetime ISA as an alternative to HTB, that can be funded alongside a cash ISA....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure