Choice of intelligent switches ?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi ...

Unfortunately, that's where the savings mentioned by the manufacturers & suppliers of these units become inflated ... when the pv system is performing well there's far too much excess to make use of ...

This is exactly the same as our solar thermal which is more temperature sensitive, but that will be quite well regulated by ambient temperature differentials at this time of year.

* Important *
    For safety (scalding risk), do you have a whole house thermostatic mixing valve fitted on the HW circuit, or individual units on each outlet ? ... if not, it would be sensible to not run the immersion thermostat above normal levels ....

HTH
    Z

Yup, all except kitchen sink [pending new kitchen] and I may back off the thermostat again until I'm happy it's not to hot. getting there tho...

Yeah I never did believe the hype on the websites for these things but it did surprise me how well it works :)

Cheers
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Hi Jeepjunkie

Sorry about the delay in replying, but it's a bit difficult to say so far. We've not had a lot of sun since I installed it, but it certainly works well when it does shine. I can't really quantify the savings, as there's no built-in way of measuring the number of kWh sent to the immersion heater.

Also, because I still use the LPG to heat the hot water as well, it's going to be rather difficult to work out the overall savings. Perhaps after a year or so, I'll be better able to say.

Ahhh I see... yes it does not tell you how many kwh has been diverted to the tank. It just says diverting at what ever percentage. I did notice that when it says diverting 100% it is usually drawing nothing as thermostat has clicked off...

Usually the Ecodan ASHP will kick in at 5pm to heat the water so I'll pop out shortly to see if it does anything, hope not :)

I suppose you pay extra for the Immursun's better reporting and longer warranty...

Cheers again.
  • danesol
    danesol Posts: 46 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2013 at 10:49AM
    Options
    Well I've purchase the Solar Immersion MKIII switch from solarimmersion.co.uk using the discount code:- dis2204 and we are really impressed and it works really well in conjunction with our SMA based 3KW system :j

Yes, it maynot be as good looking as say the Solic 200 or the Immersun, however we were'nt bothered about what it looks like or the build quality to a certain degree as it has been fitted away from sight in a cupboard - all we were seeking was good functionality at a NO FRILLS price and this is what you get, doing exactly what it was designed to do !! :wink:

So if you either heat your hot water via oil, electric or GCH ( condenser ) boiler, you would be foolish not to consider one of these units especially if no-one is at home during the day to use the generated electric which normally would just go to the grid.

Using one of these devices you heat your hot water ( or/and use on another =< 4KW load ) by electric you have already gained revenue on twice;

1. Once via the initial generation - std generation tariff

2. Second via the 50% estimated export tariff

We calculate our return will over 3yrs, replacing £ 80 worth of GAS which would normally be used to heat the hot water cylinder - then pure profit thereafter.
    2.88kWp, Panels: 12 Sanyo 240HiTs, Inverter: SMA SB 3000hf
    Solarimmersion proportional device fitted
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great to read your experience. Also have the SolarImmersion device.

Contrary to what I have said before I will shortly be hooking up a small heater in our chilly porch to dump the excess generation once the tank has been heated as our export is still to high. Fortunately the cable run is straighforward :)

Cheers

EDIT: I did consider getting a storage heater off ebay but there is no way the wife would agree to that :(
  • InVestor_2
    InVestor_2 Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    danesol wrote: »
    Well I've purchase the Solar Immersion MKIII switch from solarimmersion.co.uk using the discount code:- dis2204 and we are really impressed and it works really well in conjunction with our SMA based 3KW system :j

Yes, it maynot be as good looking as say the Solic 200 or the Immersun, however we were'nt bothered about what it looks like or the build quality to a certain degree as it has been fitted away from sight in a cupboard - all we were seeking was good functionality at a NO FRILLS price and this is what you get, doing exactly what it was designed to do !! :wink:

So if you either heat your hot water via oil, electric or GCH ( condenser ) boiler, you would be foolish not to consider one of these units especially if no-one is at home during the day to use the generated electric which normally would just go to the grid.

Using one of these devices you heat your hot water ( or/and use on another =< 4KW load ) by electric you have already gained revenue on twice;

1. Once via the initial generation - std generation tariff

2. Second via the 50% estimated export tariff

We calculate our return will over 3yrs, replacing £ 80 worth of GAS which would normally be used to heat the hot water cylinder - then pure profit thereafter.

Hope you've factored in smart meter rollout from next year.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    danesol wrote: »
    it works really well in conjunction with our SMA based 3KW system :j

£80 worth of gas is around 2,000kWh(then take into account boiler efficiency which will lower amount put into tank to, say, 1600kWh if 80% efficient)

Isn't that a little optimistic from a 3kWp system? Especially bearing in mind the HW tank has a limit on the amount of electricity it can 'absorb'.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You will be lucky to get 80% efficiency in the summer, just having the gas boiler cycle to top up the tank every time someone uses some hot water.:eek:

That said you would be lucky to get 20% efficiency from PV panels but at least the "fuel " is free.:D

Must go and switch off the cold fill washing-machine and turn on the immersion.;)
  • InVestor_2
    InVestor_2 Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    You will be lucky to get 80% efficiency in the summer, just having the gas boiler cycle to top up the tank every time someone uses some hot water.:eek:

That said you would be lucky to get 20% efficiency from PV panels but at least the "fuel " is free.:D

Must go and switch off the cold fill washing-machine and turn on the immersion.;)

my immersion has been on since 1030am (cost me a total of a flicked switch), my boiler has been off for nearly 5 weeks now ;)
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    £80 worth of gas is around 2,000kWh(then take into account boiler efficiency which will lower amount put into tank to, say, 1600kWh if 80% efficient)

Isn't that a little optimistic from a 3kWp system? Especially bearing in mind the HW tank has a limit on the amount of electricity it can 'absorb'.
    Hi

I suppose that the answer to the above really relates to the structure of the op's energy supply contract. For example, in our case, having a tiered tariff gas supply, the energy cost offset from our thermal system is calculated at tier1 rates.

Our gas supply tier1 bracket is ~7.5p/kWh for the first 670kWh/Qtr, so considering that our gas use over the past 12 months has been <1100kWh (almost all in winter months) - March totalled ~55kWh, April 5kWh ... £80 would therefore relate to somewhere around 1067kWh of supply(80/0.075), or around 850kWh (01067x80%) of heat, that's the equivalent to ~4.7kWh/day over a 6month summer period (850/180), so not unreasonable from a 3kWp system with an automated control system.

With a solar thermal system the direct heat provision efficiency drops away as the differential between ambient & cylinder temperature rises (a form of automated modulation) whereas direct element-heating wouldn't, however, our system is amply capable of providing double the heat provision calculated above ... if we used more water the average lower storage temperature would cause system efficiency to rise and we could save even more gas and still have enough HW on tap, but using more water in order to show a better payback isn't really consistent with the reason for having the system!! .... :D;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    InVestor wrote: »
    Hope you've factored in smart meter rollout from next year.

The export is worth 1.65p per unit.

So considering I have to buy it back at 10p a unit is just madness.

For me the export is worthless when compared to the value of the on-site generated electricity and the 46.81p FIT.

Indeed when the sums were done for the viability of PV on our roof the export payment was not even taken seriously it's so low.

I know some people opject to using devices to use all the generated power but looking back everyone from installers to the EST encouraged using all the generated power and little mention of the export was ever made...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure