Considering cancelling Sky Q but have a few questions

Options
ljudge
ljudge Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 16 July 2019 at 1:41AM in TV MoneySaving
Hi. This is a little complicated but here goes... I signed up to Sky Q in the summer of 2017 for the Sports channels package but was told that package was an "add-on" package and that if i wanted it then i would need to be subscribed to another package first. So i chose the Variety channels package. I was subscribed to both of those packages for the next 18 months. When i called up to remove the Variety package after the minimum contract term ended (i was finding paying for both packages a little expensive and i rarely watched any of the channels from the Variety package) i was told that this would not be possible and as long as i still wanted the sports package then i would also need to be subscribed to another package at the same time. So i have considered just viewing the sports channels through Now TV instead (why didn't i think of that before getting Sky Q? :rotfl:) Anyway, i understand that if i do cancel Sky Q that they will ask me to return the Sky Q box within 30-60 days, but i want to keep it in-case i decide to rejoin sky q at a later time (plus i have a lot of programmes recorded on there) My questions are: 1) If i decided not to return the box, is there a one-time charge for not returning it? and 2) I understand that after cancellation while i am no longer a subscriber, i will not be able to view any of the recordings on my sky q box, but what if i kept the box and re-joined sky q again at a later time? Would i then be able to access and view the recordings i had on my sky q box before i cancelled my subscriptions? I am grateful for any advice about this.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can not keep the box. Chances are that you’ll be offered a decent discount within your 30 days notice period that will be comparable with the cost of Nowtv.
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    You would be charged ..
    £100 for the 1tb q box
    £140 for the 2tb box
    £50 per mini box
    £30 for sky q hub
    You obviously didn't originally understand that you have to have a base TV subscription giving you your channels and that the sports / movies / box sets etc. are the add-ons, so you can't have an add-on without having the base subscription.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alfie1950 wrote: »
    You would be charged ..
    £100 for the 1tb q box
    £140 for the 2tb box
    £50 per mini box
    £30 for sky q hub
    You obviously didn't originally understand that you have to have a base TV subscription giving you your channels and that the sports / movies / box sets etc. are the add-ons, so you can't have an add-on without having the base subscription.

Just to add to the above, if you were daft enough to pay to keep the box then the recordings may or may not still be accessible as it is dependant on the license to view them and each would have their own separate license.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sky's business model has always been you can't have the premium channels (movies and/or sports) without a base package.

Note that while NowTV will give you the Sports on its own, its not particularly cheap at about £33 a month and may not be in decent quality if that's what you want. The Sky equivalent is £30 a month out of contract or is currently showing at £23 a month if you take a new contract but you'd need Entertainment (£22 a month with new contract) which would be £46 a month.

However Sky can usually undercut themselves and offer better deals so if you want to stay and enjoy the benefits of Q and everything else you get with it, that's up to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure