Basic pre pcp info

Options

Comments

• Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 February 2019 at 1:09PM
    Options
    Thanks mser's just received a call that could re write the headlines of my original post.
    Lots of input appreciated and I didn;t go into full details of my own personal circumstances though my sig should provide an idea of my financial status past few years.
    1.65 plate 20115 Clio -nice guess on the Fiat 500 seen lots of new ones on the road recently and in showroom as well.
    2. My call past 2 mins approx. As I posted in 2019 when I was rejected for similar Clio -pcp was rejected that purchase didn't;t go ahead at that time.
    Today pcp isn;t an option on offer to me considering I'm part time etc...I have though been offered slightly higher flat rate -5% app rather than 4.6% approx -new re payments on hp could be as high as 191 2nd call from garage 184*60 -Idea is though it's 5 years I could trade in after 3 years -this is HP not fgv balloon type payment.
    I have advised I'll think before committing .
    Quick calculation 60*184 11040
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Dandytf
    edited 11 February 2019 at 5:16PM
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I suspect you'll find that prices are similar. However, I think that the bulk of the comments are about the expense of the PCP, not of the car as such.

That IS how the car market works, whether we use those terms or not. The fact is that a PCP works by only paying off the depreciation component of the vehicle's cost, not the remainder (that is left as the balloon payment). The car will always be worth the difference between its market value and whatever settlement cost is applicable at the time. Many PCPs will result in negative equity during the early-mid stages of the term. This is a direct consequence of how they work.

I think if you told us a little bit more about what you are trying to achieve and why, then we might be able to give you some advice about saving money on the deal (or through a different deal). That's what MSE is about, really.

As an example, you talked about 0.9 and 1.2 litre engines, which suggests a small Renault/Nissan/Dacia. The current Renault offer on a basic Clio is a 0% PCP with £169 deposit and £169pm. Part of the nature of PCPs is to blur the cost-distinction between new and used (and that's why the manufacturers and dealers like it).

I thought I mentioned in an earlier reply that I wont get what I call 'headline rates'
    New Clio's you mentioned are also advertised at the dealership I plan to use and have used a few years earlier for 01|+02 plate clios'
    With my credit rating sill slowly recovering since 2012 -that's why I'm happy to pay higher apr rates =higher overall costs -maybe past 2022 my rating will begin to return to what it once was , no negative info-the cost of 2011 unemployment (I had 0 savings which didn't help)
    I think the new Clio's would be high 229 or 249 if It got an offer at all as a guarantee was required when a new Clio was offered 2014 (when I then bought 2011 @20+apr -hp)

My decision now is Non PCP it is since HP -2015 Clio 65 plate 7k miles -2 years service =2 yrs mot
    184*60
    HP
    Idea is I could trade in after 3 years if required/
    Or
    Search for a lower cost car -another Clio aim to keep payments lower -which means to me another Clio which could have higher mileage closer to my current 36k -defeats the purpose.
    Either way I could gain .9 Clio preferably low lower mileage (7k) -2 services +mot;s-and no concerns about getting left with a high mileage car in 2-5 years .
    I predict my mileage could be 5 years *9k miles p.a. 45k approx -max quite possibly less
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Dandytf
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Entirely your choice but I'd question the reasons and costs in changing from a 2014 to 2015 vehicle which doesn't seem to offer a massive difference other than costing more money when debts might be a higher priority.

As more recent cars including nearly new+new+used are +200's and more with my part time income+sig info-low credit rating for a few years yet.
    It could be an Amazing day sometime in a few years if I get to drive away in a brand new car less than 200 per month-not until mid 2020's or later.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    Managed to get to evening time without making a decision as yet.
    Return to work tomorrow limited time if I make a decision at all tomorrow until Fri/Sat.
    Checked we buy any car- (I did plan to trade in my car though noticed it could fetch 5230 max via wbac)-this could leave between 500-600 to myself after existing finance is paid off.
    Not sure if me NOT trading in my car as part of 2015 purchase effects car purchase cost at all particularly on a monthly basis -do dealerships price in trade ins when they arrange finance through their chosen company -my quote was from 'Starline motor finance) -never used them or heard until todays callback.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My decision now is Non PCP it is since HP -2015 Clio 65 plate 7k miles -2 years service =2 yrs mot
    184*60
    HP
    Idea is I could trade in after 3 years if required/

That's £11k on a 4 year old Clio (which will be 9 by the time you've paid it off). That's a lot of money! You're paying it off over 5 years, but want to trade it after 3 - why? It's not yours to trade at that point, unless you're looking for that magical equity. What is so bad about the current Clio?
  • Dandytf
    Options
    Thanks mser's Agreed costs are high age is older than some previous Clio's.
    Credit rating was Excellent considering I managed to get a new mortgage in 2009 to move to my current flat-from 1st mortgage from 2003.
    It hasn't all been bad at all-not amazing lifestyle though quite and pieceful.
    If possible would someone like to guess or estimate if there is going to be 2-3k value to trade 2015 car in 2018 -meaning could I possibly have enqough trade in value to clear off finance and move over to another car if required -then possibly rating could continue to improve for lower terms and favourable apr's as I once had.
    The no warranty question is important, would gap policy for 1st 3 years suffice -I read a link form mse earlier where gap is only 100 pounds or dealership[ I think is from 8.99 per month.
    I have benefited from Free servicing from two dews Lersch IP's on 2 year service packs -the cost is offered on car purchase -mines 2 year included in quoted 184*60
    Means MOT certificate /No additional Service cost other than additional work if required/wear+tear.
    From last weeks service pack -2nd year -2 rear tryres required -budget low cost offered and fitted -no additional costs.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    Forgot to a ask wonder what finance I'de owe after 36 months-that could give me an idea if trade in could be realistic if required -5 years does sound ages to me -though I did drive 02 Clio purchased 2005 and trade in 20014.
    I have confidence on low mileage Clio's hopefully it's in nice condition.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you must change car, and you want to rebuild credit rating, how about a personal loan, then go and buy whatever car you like for cash. Can you get a approved at a better rate this way?
    You're asking about the future value of your car - look at whatever age of Clio you'll be getting rid of now - 6 year old or whatever, and match engine, spec and mileage as close as possible, And remember to cut a bit off the asking price. AND most importantly don't count on it, as it's pure speculation. Sounds like a big gamble to me.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2019 at 3:57PM
    Options
    Dandytf wrote: »
    Agreed not sure why the 'who you are is mentioned'- not my way of thinking at all. I'm happy at the quoted costs at least on basis of purchasing a car with very low mileage with small engine size with some acceleration .
    Let's hope this goes through, if so I'll be able to find myself in year three if I have any trade in option at all (without have it to pay 3.3. K for the privilege )

I hope you have your pants down at the time of transfer as with your strategy you are going to get caned every single time. Trading in part way through is a finance company's wet dream.

If you want to change your cars more frequently, stop taking out 48/60 month terms. If you can't afford the monthly payments on a 36 month term and stick with the car until the end of the term then you simply cannot afford the car.

As others have said PCP is not best for used cars. The APR is always higher, and calculated against the whole balance including the balloon which never goes down. The result? If you encounter financial difficulties, you are almost term end by the time you are eligible to VT.

My advice? Stick with your current car until the end of the current term and decide whether to keep it or surrender. Otherwise you will pay more interest over 8 years than most people do on a mortgage over 25 years. You should have that amount on your DMP to 100% paid before committing yourself to more credit.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    Free servicing is unlikely to mean no servicing costs. I'm sure the dealer will try to sell aircon recharge, brakes pads/disks/fluid changes etc.

Stills seems like a huge amout of money for an old Clio to me...

Being in debt to a car up to 9 years old is simply madness. Debt with no proper warranty!? Leaves you pretty exposed...

Wife's Golf BlueMotion was £11k but younger and considerably more expensive when new, alright not that recent but the electric car I got last year was not far of a third of what the Clio is here and really does cost nothing run...

Does free servicing even include the cost of the parts used for servicing - filters and oils for example...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure