PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves

Options
I started to use loose tea recently, having previously always stuck to using tea bags, in the hope that it's a bit cheaper. Has anyone out there already done the maths on this one???
( i've found it much better for the compost heap, cos those little white bags seem to take at least 2 years to compost down!).
thanks

Do you use tea bags or tea leaves? 228 votes

Tea Bags
66% 152 votes
Tea Leaves
33% 76 votes

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have tried using loose tea in the past and its worked out loads cheaper, however, i cant buy a tea strainer fine enough so that it doesnt leave a residue at the bottem of the cup. I dont use a tea pot though as we dont drink enough tea to warrant buying one.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Judi wrote:
    I have tried using loose tea in the past and its worked out loads cheaper, however, i cant buy a tea strainer fine enough so that it doesnt leave a residue at the bottem of the cup. I dont use a tea pot though as we dont drink enough tea to warrant buying one.

On the one occasion we were forced to stop at a motorway cafe, they served the tea with a plastic inner cup which held the tealeaves and you lifted it out when you'd got the required strength of brew - being the skinflint I am, I put ours into my bag ... everyone else threw them away!! If you know of anyone who uses motorway cafes, might be worth asking them to keep an eye out for them for you?

Trouble is, the residue will happen whatever you do because of any fine 'dust' from the leaves. Hence, "dregs" - great for tipping into your houseplants though :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I only use tea leaves - if it's just me I have a little gadget like a pair of tongs that you put the tea in and use in a cup. My teapot was half price in Sainsburys and has a lift out section for the tea. Both ways leave some tea in the cup but I just leave the last bit. I prefer loose tea - I mix a pack of Earl Grey with a pack of Assam. Even if it cost more, I'd continue - can only be fraction of penny, can't it?
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Treat yourself to a little teapot and let it brew properly before you pour it out. You get a much better cup of tea and for Green Tea it's half the price that is comparing Clipper loose Green tea with Green tea bags.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use teabags...I make a big pot brew to the right favour and then take the bags out. I can then pour myself a cup during the day and heat it up in the microwave.
    It sounds worse than it atually is!!! really!

I get about 6 or 7 cups out of 2 teabags!

Does this make me a proper money saver or just a real tight !!!!!!?
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    FrankieM - do you work at Asda? I had a cup of tea in there once, could have been the same as yours.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I use both- bags are ok for a quick single cuppa but prefer leaf tea.
    Has anyone else noticed that typhoo leaf tea seems to have vanished from the shops or is it just my local shops?
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am very lucky that we all like our tea very very light, so we reuse the same teabag two or three times. We drink a lot of roiboosch (red tea) which is supposed to be reused apparently, but we do the same with regular tea. It does not work very well with herbal teas because the teabags are calibrated to to only 1 cup and after the first teapot they lose the flavour.

Because I like tea so very light, I think that leaf tea would be a waste for me!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    FrankieM wrote:
    Does this make me a proper money saver or just a real tight !!!!!!?

They are the same thing really :rotfl:
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow..i thought i was just about the last person on the planet still using tealeaves! looks like most of you think it is cheaper than tea bags..i'll carry on for a while and see what i save. I haven't seen pg tips loose tea, but i just use tesco's own brand.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback