MMD Should I keep my ticket refund?

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    The phrase "I travel during my own time" provides the answer here.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The last time this was the MMD I had the exact same situation at my work. I was up front with them about it, and they said they didn't have any easy way of accepting the refund without it costing them over the price of the ticket in administration costs, so I should just keep it.

I think I heard something like it costing most Finance departments £30-40 to process an invoice. I would be hugely surprised if a delay repay came anywhere near that cost.
  • Reue
    Reue Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    I once had a hotel stay refunded because the place was so noisy. As my employer had paid for the hotel the refund went back to them :(
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The phrase "I travel during my own time" provides the answer here.

But presumably if it's a journey into work at some point it becomes the companies time
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    But presumably if it's a journey into work at some point it becomes the companies time

It depends. Lots of employees would be expected to make up time if they're late, or alternatively are responsible for managing their own time and workload, in which case they still need to get the same work done regardless of whether they were delayed getting in, so will likely end up working through lunch or other breaks, or making time up elsewhere, even if it isn't formally documented.

My view would be that it is likely to be reasonable to keep the refund or compensation but that you should check with your employer if you are concerned, so everything is above board. I'd be surprised if they wanted it refunded, it's you who were inconvenienced and it would be a hassle to process.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • StatusRed
    Options
    I would say that you're the one who was inconvenienced in the form of your own time being wasted, so therefore it's morally fine for you to keep the refund.
  • happyc84
    happyc84 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i would claim back, it's your time. If you are paid to travel that's different,
    Claimed back 3 train journeys in Dec.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You should do whatever your contract of employment says you should do.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tain wrote: »

I think I heard something like it costing most Finance departments £30-40 to process an invoice. I would be hugely surprised if a delay repay came anywhere near that cost.
    I always find these figures for the cost of large businesses doing something to be very dubious. The office staff are already employed and unless it takes hours to do the figure is nonsense. I think the reason is more to do with disinclination than finance.

Still your gain and maybe you get brownie points for offering to repay.
  • billco
    billco Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't think your employer would really care much tbh.
    One years target for mortgage deposit:

UPDATE: 27k achieved keeping steady grand a month bank
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family