PPI claim not being dealt with correctly.

Options
Good Evening
Before I begin I apologise in advance if this on the wrong form or has been answered before. I have had a quick scan through and there are thousands of posts on here and I am not sure which thread to attach this too.

Let me explain and then my query can hopefully be answered or I can be directed to the correct place to get the answers.

In the 1990's 2000's I had lots of credit cards and catalogue accounts. Some had PPI some did not but as it was so long ago and I no longer have any paperwork or details I cannot remember which ones did or didn't.

I have also left it a bit last minute. I am working my way through the alphabetical list on the FCA website and submitted three online claims at the beginning of May for catalogues I had. All these claims have gone through the "Littlewoods" claim form and appear to all be dealt with by "Shop Direct Finance Company Limited" which I will refer to as SDFCL from now on.

I received one letter from SDFCL on Saturday 25th May which was dated 17th May. This letter said they could not find any evidence of me having PPI, made no mention of the three named catalogues I had submitted complaints for, but also provided me with a selection of statements belonging to entirely different catalogues I did have but have yet to put in a claim for, and also a statement belonging to another person!!!

I telephoned SDFCL on Tuesday 28th May, explained to the person what had happened. This person actually said the team who deal with this had not investigated my original complaints, given me the wrong information including someone else's. The person said the team would call me back.

To date I have had no telephone call. I did today receive three letters from SDFCL dated 24th May, which is before I pointed out their errors, giving me a different reference number to quote but referring to three wrong accounts in my first letter including the other person's catalogue account.

I expected a response saying this, this and this catalogue did/didn't have PPI and the same response for my future claims. Some of the statement evidence provided shows nil balances, nil transactions and nil payments so obviously would not have attracted PPI.

What do I do now? Do I wait for a telephone call that may never come? Make another telephone call to SDFCL and possible get the same false promise of a call back? Can I contact the SDFCL team that deals with PPI claims direct and ask them to explain their errors? If so who do I contact and does anyone know the direct email address or telephone number to call? How do I know I'm not going to go around in circles getting know where whichever avenue I take? On my letters I have only been provided with telephone number 0344 811 8515 which is the general number? Or do I contact the FCA or FSA?

I have only just started this process, time is running out (my fault for leaving it so late to claim) and this does not bode well. How do I know I'm not going to go around in circles getting know where whichever avenue I take?

Regards

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Contacting the FCA will be futile as they do not accept individual complaints. Contacting the Food Standards Agency will not help either.

Simply chase the financial institution you originally wrote to...

If you get no joy, you can refer your complaint (after eight weeks) to the Financial Ombudsman Service(FOS)
  • Molly4
    Molly4 Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Apologies for the typing error. I thought FSA stood for Financial Services Authority. What I meant was the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) or Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

I know it is my fault for waiting to last minute to claim ( which is for my own reasons) but if I wait eight weeks then we are going to be almost at the August deadline. Now that I have started the ball rolling on these claims does this mean I am in the system so to speak and the deadline of 29th August 2019 is for initial claims?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You've beaten the deadline - nothing to worry about.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The deadline is to make a complaint by, NOT be resolved by... as such you are covered.

Chase them, if no response after 8 weeks contact FOS
  • Molly4
    Options
    Good Morning
    Thank you for your replies.

As I put these 3 complaints in online to save my time, without checking to see if I did have PPI with the companies first. Would it be worth trying to telephone them first? If I can find freephone numbers that would be helpful or else it is going to cost a fortune. Most of my accounts only had small balances on them so if there was any PPI then the amount I will get back will be minimal I think.

Regards
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What was the nature of your complaint? Seems odd to complain about being mis sold something you may not have been sold!
  • Molly4
    Options
    As stated in my original post I cannot remember exactly which ones I had PPI with as the earliest could be nearly 30 years ago. Due to severe health problems at present which is my concern alone I though It would be easier to put in the complaints and then the companies could advise me accordingly. I didn't expect to receive information on other accounts and even another person's account which may be a breach of Data Protection as I can now know their name, address, account number, transactions, cashback options and the level of debt they were in.

At the time of me holding my accounts I was unemployed, on benefits and raising my children alone so therefore I would never have agreed to add extra payments to my monthly account balance. Therefore I believe I was mis sold somehow but again my memory of actually what fully happened on each individual account is vague.

There a saying that is appropriate "If you don't ask you don't get"
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Send them a letter

Dear Shop Direct

I am complaining about PPI attached to my catalogue accounts
      Please can you investigate. Be aware, after 30 years, there's probably no info left.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Molly4
    Options
    Thank you I think I will send them a letter but I will try and get some free phone numbers to see if I can speak to someone as well. I do appreciate that after such a long time there may be be no information left to find but as I said All I want is for them to tell me so and not give me information on the wrong accounts and other people's account. Should I contact that other person and tell them I now hold their information?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Raise a complaint to the ICO if you were sent someone else's data
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts