PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• Chloepad1
    Chloepad1 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm tired of being cold and wet. It's meant to be summer. At this point I would be grateful for a single solid day of sunshine and warmth. I hate wet and cold weather. Roll on September when I will be sunning myself in Florida for two weeks.
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Perhaps its a practise run for winter, which is fine as long as summer decides to appear very soon, like tomorrow.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've been so cold this past week I've considered putting the heating on! Waking up in June unable to feel your nose or feet is ridiculous. Looking at the long range forecast for here its going to be wet until at least the 11th, and not much more than 12c overnight. :(

At least its spurring me on to get on with jobs. ;)
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whole new house to learn to prep!

DH and I have both lived in flats for over ten years, we've just moved into our first house (not rented either!) with our first baby due in about ten weeks and DsS with us three nights a week.

Right now the house gets quite warm upstairs but will have to wait and see what it's like in the winter!

Lxx
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I find when I feel chilly and check the temp it's just under 20 degrees. Years ago I rarely had the heating above 15 degrees, maybe 18 in winter. I'm wondering if it's because of the clothes I'm wearing or do I just feel the cold more as I age?... :(
    At the moment I'm wearing tee shirts and cropped trousers but keeping warm cardi's and throws nearby. They used to be stored away for at least 6 months.
    I'm actually finding it hard to find a dry day when I can wash and dry 'heavy washing' like coats, quilts, pillows etc I don't think that it'll be worth storing in vacuum bags in the loft like I usually do...
    Still, I'm sure the sun will shine through soon and we'll forget this miserable spell. Maybe the summer will last until November when it eventually arrives? :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • krustylouise
    krustylouise Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've just moved into a new build house, the insulation is crazy in here but the house today and yesterday has felt really cold. I'm currently sat with a hot water bottle on my feet!

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It feels warm here and I'm watching Wimbledon so it feels strange to be thinking about winter. :D

I just noticed some mould on my bathroom door so I need to get some vinegar to clean it off as bleach didn't work. I am buying a towel rail as I think (well, know) that the mould was caused by hanging my towel on the door. Not so much to do with winter, but I'm assuming it will be better to put the towels on a rail when the heating goes back on.
  • Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lyn and everyone :) I too am fed up with the rain and cold! I have been doing housework since I got up this morning at 7.30. I enjoyed my porridge which I eat several times a week summer and winter, as I love it. I have another wash on and have the first load on the clothes horse now. I love to hang my washing out but not a good idea while we have the rain like we are having and have had.:( It seems to lower my mood. I have also a cardi on today and the heating is on low too. We have the gas heating and it is great. We had topped it up, as we have a pre paid meter also for the electricity, and I was hoping to not have to put the heating on, however I need to dry the washing. I put a clothes horse in the hall next to the radiator, as it doesn't turn off until we shut the heating off, so makes sense to use it wisely for the drying. I long for sunshine again and to be able to cut the grass again:) It really does feel like winter here too.
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    hi Lynn i thought i would hop over from usual threads,i got my oil filled this morning to the brim so hopefully not being put on for good few months but its in !!!need curtains for back bedroom as i did it up and put voile panels in ,looks lovely but freezing shall trail charity shops for plain cream ones and have lining here. jams from garden will be made as and when they ripen.also got oh and son gloves and scarves in primark reduced to 20p each!!!!! price on scarves was 5 quid also grabbed some for other christmas presents. in my work i got bed socks and put them away 2 for a quid. on the subject of mould i was told a while ago to never put bleach near it it only bleaches the colour not actually take it away i use green bottle sprizt type from my work called mould and mildew remover and it works great this bottle will last many years hope that helps someone xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    craigywv wrote: »
    on the subject of mould i was told a while ago to never put bleach near it it only bleaches the colour not actually take it away i use green bottle sprizt type from my work called mould and mildew remover and it works great this bottle will last many years hope that helps someone xxx

I have some of that stuff too,:) I thought I might have been confused about what to use on mould or mildew.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback