PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    My god almighty Doveling!! Mine is £15 !!!
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's the going rate round here :(

Just seen this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36811029

Time to buy more thermals, methinks! :D
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank goodness we won't need to rely on the gas this winter, we can use the multi fuel stove to heat the whole house if needed, as no doubt prices will increase. The way things are going every bit of preparation we can do for winter will help get through difficult times, and if we don't need it all the better!
    Every days a School day!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am just starting to stock up on items I will need over the winter, and I try and ensure where possible I buy them from car boot sales over the summer so I am not forced to buy everything at full price. A great favourite is really good soap and I often get boxed sets for £1 - three triple milled bars which would normally be unaffordable. This weekend I bought two neutrogena facial soaps, a huge Marseilles bar of lily of the valley and a morny lavender and white heather. I paid £1.50 in total for them and the retail price would be about £18, so this way I get the luxury at the affordable price. Last week I got an Elle MacPherson unopened tub of body butter for 25p! I also managed to get two unused oven cleaners for £1 and a variety of other goods which I will put away for future use. There are very few car boots around here after October, so I like to plan ahead!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • alice-mary
    alice-mary Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon All,

Just had another delivery of coal and logs (had some delivered at the end of May but decided to make the most of the summer prices).:j

Still need to get the chimney swept so I will book that later.

I have just finished working at my school after over 12 years so my house is full of the stuff (clutter) that will go into the classroom at my new job in September :eek:... this means that my usual summer de-cluttering and checking on winter preps will have to work around the limited space (think TETRIS and you might come close to my lounge and spare bedroom :embarasse )

Anyhoo, it feels good knowing that at least I won't be cold this winter! And why is it that now the coal is in, I am itching to get knitting (gloves, blankets etc), even though it is really hot today?

Keep prepping people,

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000
    Debts in Jan 2020:Loan £2900 Sister £0
    Argos Card £0 :j C Card £0 O/draft £0 :j
    Mortgage £96,000 (finally on a repayment mortgage :) )
    Getting there slowly .....
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

We're having some major building work done over the summer/autumn, including a multi fuel burner, so I need the chimney sweeping, too. The garage was dismantled, a new base put down in a different place, and then rebuilt, and it's not quite finished so I can't start stocking up on fuel yet, but as soon as I can that's a priority job.

Not too bad for woollies, just DH who needs new gloves. Children will need new snow boots and wellies, but that won't break the bank, and they need new lightweight coats (think we can get one more winter out of their heavy coats!).

As soon as the children return to school, I always start slowly stocking up on non-perishable foods and groceries - these will have to go in the garage until the kitchen is finished.

I have LOADS of wool knocking around, which is being turned into crochet blankets for beds, sofas and the car - hopefully won't have to have the CH on too much then! :rotfl:

I'm also going to work my way through the freezer and use up as much as I can before September, and then do some batch cooking to freeze for quick meals when I go back to uni; some days we won't be home until near 5 and it will be so good to have home cooking in a matter of minutes instead of getting a takeaway or having beans on toast all the time! :D

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I bought a very soft, red winter blanket last week in a sale. :A

I am really disliking the summer and the humidity this year. I can't wait until autumn to start and have the lovely feeling of being all cosy and warm indoors.
    I am just starting to stock up on items I will need over the winter, and I try and ensure where possible I buy them from car boot sales over the summer so I am not forced to buy everything at full price. A great favourite is really good soap and I often get boxed sets for £1 - three triple milled bars which would normally be unaffordable. This weekend I bought two neutrogena facial soaps, a huge Marseilles bar of lily of the valley and a morny lavender and white heather. I paid £1.50 in total for them and the retail price would be about £18, so this way I get the luxury at the affordable price. Last week I got an Elle MacPherson unopened tub of body butter for 25p! I also managed to get two unused oven cleaners for £1 and a variety of other goods which I will put away for future use. There are very few car boots around here after October, so I like to plan ahead!

Wow, great bargains!:)
  • shoei
    shoei Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very cold and autumnal today!!!! I'm in full panic mode now for winter coming and what I have not done. I've always been the same, it get to the longest day and hibernation panic sets in. It's been worse since I was snowed in for a week a few years ago. I'm going to get my list out and will post on here. It's probably still got loads on from last year :-(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've noticed that T*sco have in tins of plums, rhubarb, black currants and gooseberries so I'm laying in a tin of each of them to use in the winter for crumbles and puddings whenever I shop. Have also started a review of the stores to see where we're 'light' and will over the next few weeks gather what we need to see us through possible bad weather periods this coming cold season. Still blissfully warm here in Hampshire but very dry so the trees are beginning to colour up and leaves are beginning to drop. Think it's time for us to order in another batch of logs for the burner and the sweep is coming next month to make us ready for the burning season. We've also had the extension roof off and now have 300mm of insulation in there along with a new modern waterproof membrane on the roof and some cracked tiles replaced, all right and tight for winter!
  • shoei
    shoei Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Renovating the middle bedroom and wet room windows.
    Tile hall and kitchen (still!!!!!!!)
    Sand and stain front and back doors.
    Guttering on stables
    stable repair
    fencing repair
    insulate back of loft and utility loft
    Sort thick tights in to boxes (they seem to get bobble when I wear boots so these are going to be separated to be used with boots or shoes)
    OH needs new coat as does the dog!
    One horse needs a new rug
    Pine cones for fire lighters

So not as bad as I thought actually
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills