leaving BT price increase, disincentives/penalties OFCOM

Options
OFCOM say Line Rental Saver should be proportionally refunded when leaving within 30 days of the notification of a price increase. The Guardian newspaper has written about this 26Nov2017. Some BT staff still tell people they will lose any line rental saver paid upfront.

One thing not covered in the press and forums regards mobile sims with BT that are "discounted" if a broadband account exists for the property, this includes sims that are paid for and contracted to the broadband account holder AND any other persons at that residence who have their own separate sim contract with BT.

So when you sign with a new provider after notifying BT you want to leave "because of the proposed price increase" You will receive a system generated email that says you will no longer receive the sim discount and the price will increase after 31 days. Surely this is a penalty or disincentive to leaving BT and in this case is contrary to OFCOM 9.6(I think that's the ref). Also I suppose anyone who independently has a discounted sim will see a rise in their monthly charge?

I have been told that you cannot terminate the mobile sim contract because it is a separate contract.

My question is How can it be separate if it has linked conditions with the broadband contract?
Should we be allowed to cancel the sim without penalty charges if BT intend to raise prices (calling this a loss of discount) when we leave because of broadband price increase?

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You get to keep the discount, see section 17 of the terms:
    http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post19thoctober2016mobile-service.html

However, we won't increase the charges and you’ll keep getting the discount, benefit or offer during the rest of your minimum term if:
    you end the BT Broadband service because of a change to it which gives you the right to leave.

See this forum thread, the first post by a BT forum moderator:
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-price-changes-April-and-August/td-p/1709458/page/29

All you need to do then is convince the customer service agent you are right, and of course ensure that you make it clear that you are leaving because of the price rise, otherwise all of the above won't apply.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi,

I got an email from BT on the 28th Nov, informing me of a price increase of £2.50 a month. Phoned BT and said I was going due to the price increase. Took all my details, increase not denied. Advised to apply to another company and they would advise BT I was leaving.

Applied to PlusNet, same day, huge savings.

Letter from BT this morning saying I would not get my line Rental Saver back if I was not leaving due to a price increase. Phoned BT to reiterate I was leaving due to price increase. Told I was not effected by price increase, email was an error.

Personally I think it was an error because I’m off.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 February 2023 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Hi,

I got an email from BT on the 28th Nov, informing me of a price increase of £2.50 a month. Phoned BT and said I was going due to the price increase. Took all my details, increase not denied. Advised to apply to another company and they would advise BT I was leaving.

Applied to PlusNet, same day, huge savings.

Letter from BT this morning saying I would not get my line Rental Saver back if I was not leaving due to a price increase. Phoned BT to reiterate I was leaving due to price increase. Told I was not effected by price increase, email was an error.

Personally I think it was an error because I’m off.

Out of interest, if you have 'Line Rental Saver' (with anyone) I'm guessing the price rise wouldn't apply to you and therefore you wouldn't be able to use that as an excuse to get out of the contract early?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have fibre broadband from BT, I assume the increase refers to that. In any event, BTls email was explicit,

See how your prices are changing
    On 7 January 2018 your monthly price will increase by:
    Broadband and Calls £2.50

No wriggle room there.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Out of interest, if you have 'Line Rental Saver' (with anyone) I'm guessing the price rise wouldn't apply to you and therefore you wouldn't be able to use that as an excuse to get out of the contract early?

The line rental is not changing but the BB is!

Thus irrespective of how you pay line rental you can leave.

When they then write to say no advance line rental will be refunded it's a tactic to scare you into staying.

They know they are lying.

But put it down to "poorly trained newcomers"

You will get your line rental paid in advance back but need to raise a formal complaint to get it!
  • bengutt
    bengutt Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I finally got an answer to my complaint about an email and a letter stating my 'Line Rental Saver' was not being refunded.

I had to escalate my complaint above the normal channels to even get a response, but they came back and stated that my account is due to get the pro rata refund on the final bill. It would have even if I hadn't complained.

It takes 14 days to generate the final bill, once they close your account.

From what they said to me it sounds like a blanket, "we are refunding all customers with LRS, if they are leaving due to the price increase".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure