We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 7 November 2017 at 1:03PM
    Options
    I tried to edit my post above to add this information but for some reason it wouldn't allow me to do it.

I was going to add this for everyone on here. If the weather turns really, really cold you can put Vaseline on your hens comb & wattles. These areas are extremely sensitive and can be prone to frostbite. Sometimes it is not so much the outside temperature but the extra cold wind blowing on them.

Oh and don't forget to give your girls some porridge as it will warm them up in the colder months. You can make it up in to a mix and give it to them warm or cold or you can give them the porridge oat flakes as they are so they need to forage for them which in turn will keep them busy.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry for your loss Edwink.

We used vaseline on scaly leg and it worked great.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've clarted on the ointment which is essential lanolin with herbs etc. added in. I'll keep the vaseline in mind though as easier to source, thank you!

Next up flubenvet for the flock. Poor girls will hate me!
  • edwink
    Options
    Beckyy wrote: »
    I've clarted on the ointment which is essential lanolin with herbs etc. added in. I'll keep the vaseline in mind though as easier to source, thank you!

Next up flubenvet for the flock. Poor girls will hate me!

Hi Beckyy

How are your hens now with their scaly leg mite? Any improvement yet with using the new lotion? I do hope so.

Please let us know how it is going when you get the time. Would be nice to know your hens are now ok and that the lotion is working or has worked.

Take care

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • StarShapedPeg
    Options
    Hello
    I’ve just been reading that Defra are thinking about reintroducing restrictions on domestic poultry this Winter as preventive steps against Bird Flu again. ☹️
    I don’t think they have guidelines yet, but i’ll keep a lookout.
    Let’s hope they don’t.
    x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • edwink
    edited 14 November 2017 at 4:20PM
    Options
    Hello I’ve just been reading that Defra are thinking about reintroducing restrictions on domestic poultry this Winter as preventive steps against Bird Flu again. ☹️ I don’t think they have guidelines yet, but i’ll keep a lookout. Let’s hope they don’t. x

Thanks for posting that StarShapedPeg. Please post if you hear anything further.

If others want to keep up to date with Defra's announcements you can go on to their site from this link. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu As of today so far it is a routine editorial update to reflect the current risk of bird flu as winter approaches.

If anyone hears anything further please do post on our hen thread so others who don't get time to keep checking on Defra's site can keep up to date too.

I really do hope that the ban will not come in to force again :(

Thanks everyone

Edwink
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 November 2017 at 3:13PM
    Options
    I really hope there's no housing order this year!

Scaly leg mite... I've been alternating spray and ointment and the scales are starting to change. I've also put Poultry Tonic in their water this week. I think it's going to be a very long process though.

Pic to show the worst:
    eqsfwj.jpg

I wish I'd have realised!
  • edwink
    Options
    Beckyy wrote: »
    Scaly leg mite... I've been alternating spray and ointment and the scales are starting to change. I've also put Poultry Tonic in their water this week. I think it's going to be a very long process though.

I wish I'd have realised!

Chin up Beckyy. As garden hen keepers we are really not supposed to know it all are we?. We all have to start somewhere eh? Most of us learn as we go along to be honest. They could of had something else wrong with them that you would of recognised and been able to treat straight away. Just unlucky for you that it was something you knew nothing about at the time. But, now you have seen and are treating this problem you will spot it very quickly should it occur again. So please don't be too hard on yourself :)

Thanks ever so much for putting the photo on here as that could help others that have not seen the condition before.

Take care x

Edwink
  • vjm63
    vjm63 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Is it just me, or does anyone else look at that image and start to picture their girls' legs, just to mentally check .... !?!

I agree with you, Edwink - definitely this is always a learning curve - and if it is something you know about and can treat, fine, but mystery illnesses are a worry! I am sad to report that I lost one of our two oldest girls a week or so ago from ascites. I thought she was just getting slow and a bit down, which some of the others have done, and they perk up again in a couple of weeks or so - so I was just coaxing her along thinking things would change. Then one day when I picked her up I noticed how little flesh she had on her, but her abdomen was swollen and seemed to distress her when I pressed it, and she was panting. Cue frantic looking up on the internet, and then phone call to OH to buy a syringe since he was out!
    Unfortunately it was too late for her, but at least we now know, so that is *another* thing to look out for.... At least she had a good life, was totally pampered, and a great character ... you know some chickens you can catch, or will follow you easily, whilst others it is more of a relationship where you discuss with them if they would deign to leave what they are doing and come back to you ... when they are ready, of course ?
  • edwink
    edited 19 November 2017 at 2:04PM
    Options
    vjm63 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anyone else look at that image and start to picture their girls' legs, just to mentally check .... !?!

I am sad to report that I lost one of our two oldest girls a week or so ago from ascites. I thought she was just getting slow and a bit down, which some of the others have done, and they perk up again in a couple of weeks or so - so I was just coaxing her along thinking things would change. Then one day when I picked her up I noticed how little flesh she had on her, but her abdomen was swollen and seemed to distress her when I pressed it, and she was panting. Cue frantic looking up on the internet, and then phone call to OH to buy a syringe since he was out! Unfortunately it was too late for her, but at least we now know, so that is *another* thing to look out for.. At least she had a good life, was totally pampered, and a great character

Hi vjm63

How sad that you have lost one of yours :(. Never gets any easier each time does it? But, as you say she had a good life with you and was totally pampered. Like mine spoilt rotten I guess too!!

With regards of what happened to her as you say at least you now know in future what to look out for. Same goes for the other hen keepers that post on our hen thread.

The trouble with hens and their pecking order is that the top hens always get food and those much lower down in the pecking order more often than not get less than their fair share. This can make some of them that were maybe originally at the top of the pecking order get a bit down and they go quiet. It is always best to pick them up to see if anything is going on and they get a cuddle at the same time:). You can't always see what is going on though so best just to monitor them over a few days and check that they are eating and drinking ok as that is always a good sign.

Oh and yes I was mentally checking my girls legs after seeing the image too. Maybe I think it is just a natural thing for us to do after seeing it.

Edwink
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback