Smart meter ????

Options
rabialiones
rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi peeps jus lookin for some advice please
Scottish power keep sending me emails to book date to have smart meter fitted
I do not really want one as i have read it can cause problems when changing suppliers
Also i am happy with present one
It was only changed over a few years ago so it not that old
Is it compulsory to have smart meter fitted
Nice to save.

Comments

• PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    No it is not.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2018 at 9:40AM
    Options
    Hi peeps jus lookin for some advice please
    Scottish power keep sending me emails to book date to have smart meter fitted
    I do not really want one as i have read it can cause problems when changing suppliers
    Also i am happy with present one
    It was only changed over a few years ago so it not that old
    Is it compulsory to have smart meter fitted

No it's not compulsory and you can avoid a smart meter simply by ignoring advice from your energy supplier. However the energy companies are expected to at least offer it to customers so that's why they tell you about it.

Specifically on Scottish Power, in my own personal experience they are not (yet) fully set up for smart meters: I had both electricity and gas smart meters fitted and the frequency of my bills were changed from monthly to quarterly; in the month the meters were fitted SP failed to collect the monthly DD payment; they say they are unable to get the smart meter readings; they continually ask for current meter readings for the old meters which were removed. The info I get from their forums is that fault is known and that's about it and in the meantime to go into the online account "Edit Personal Details" and then scroll to the bottom of that page to the "Information" box and set the frequency of the smart reading to "Half Hourly" which I have done.

But let's face it, at least Scottish Power is consistent in its inefficiency!
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Specifically on Scottish Power, in my own personal experience they are not (yet) fully set up for smart meters: ...

As long ago as Oct 2016, SP had already installed over 100,000 smart meters, and was ramping up then to install 2000 per day.

They plan to install 5 million by 2020

https://www.scottishpower.com/news/pages/iberdrola_scottishpower_q3_results_340_million_smart_meter_uk_contracts_placed.aspx

From a report in February 2017
    Research claims 81% of people with smart meters would recommend them
  • rabialiones
    Options
    thanks for all the replies
    As the research recommend them i am considering to have the installation
    Are they worth the hassle???
    Its just that I don't want to have another device which may give me some problems to deal with
    Nice to save.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Its just that I don't want to have another device which may give me some problems to deal with

My opinion. Wait until next year when suppliers are required to fit smart meters that comply with SMETS2. SMETS2 meters connect to The Data Communications Centre and are not supplier dependent.
  • jackandcoke
    jackandcoke Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    My opinion. Wait until next year when suppliers are required to fit smart meters that comply with SMETS2. SMETS2 meters connect to The Data Communications Centre and are not supplier dependent.

SMETS2 all the way! Maybe SMETS3 or SMETS2v3 (whatever the correct name is)
    Honest? Probably......sort of.
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options

No. Don't get one. What do over 8 out of 10 smart meter users know anyway?

It's the important minority you need to listen to. The less than 1 in 5.
    Surely that less than 1 in 5 can't all be wrong can they?

Is that the answer you wanted to hear? You've obviously come to the right place if it is.
  • rabialiones
    Options
    Well i just came across this article in todays times newspaper and its helped to make my mind up.
    I definitely do not want to have it installed

Tried to attach link but cant do it on phone and laptops not available so if a fellow forumer can post link i would be really grateful
    Its in todays THE TIMES

Thanks
    Nice to save.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »

As I understand it Smets1 can be converted to Smets2 and also that although Smets2 is available now the installation of Smets1 continues. Are we to understand that millions of smets1 meters will have to be physically removed and smets2 meters installed in their place in order for them to work?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure