Satellite / other broadband - rural Scotland?

Options
We've just bought a house on Skye and are setting up our utilities. We wanted to set up broadband and digital TV. There's no mobile reception, but we thought wifi calling would be OK. Can anyone recommend any sensible options for broadband / TV providers / packages?

I've looked at BT packages, and their website states that the speeds for our house are such that they can't deliver TV. More generally, the estimated broadband speeds look very low: between 0.75 and 2.5MBps, with a minimum assured download speed of 0.512MBps.

The previous owner had satellite broadband. It seems quite a bit more expensive - but worth it if it's the only sensible option, I suppose. But the previous owner's old provider, Avonline, has very bad reviews online.

So, if I need satellite, can anyone recommend a good supplier for Skye? Thanks so much!

Comments

• laurmurph
    laurmurph Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We!!!8217;re in rural Scotland too and now relying on mobile broadband through O2. Its faster than we feared it would be but capped and we can!!!8217;t increase it.
    laurmurph
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you checked to see if there is a usable 800 MHz 4G signal? This will could give you data but no voice.

We were in a similar situation in rural Wales and assumed the we wouldn't get mobile data because there was no voice coverage at all. A bit of research showed that Three claimed to cover the valley with 4G data. It's weak and we need to use an external aerial but it works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure