Plusnet has added £10 to monthly charge because I told them I'm leaving due to recent price rise

Options
I've been with Plusnet since early 2018, on an 18 month contract for phone and broadband, paying £18.99 per month. I received the email notifying of the £1 per month price rise on 12/04/2018 and phoned them on 24/04/2018 to tell them I had decided to find a new provider because of the price rise. I haven't arranged the move yet and have just received the monthly email notification about my next direct debit payment. Instead of it being £18.99 the email says it will be £28.98. It looks as if they are punishing me for telling them I'm leaving by bumping the price up to the full phone and broadband amount.

Presumably their contract with me will allow them to do this (though I haven't checked yet), but is this normal treatment and do I have grounds for complaint? I understood I could leave because of the price rise without a penalty when in actual fact they are penalising me.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes complaint in writing as you cannot be charged more for leaving. EIther use the Plusnet complaint procedure shown on https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/
    Or use Resolver (Martin Lewis approved) at https://www.resolver.co.uk/complaints/telecoms-complaints
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2018 at 2:26PM
    Options
    I suspect when you told them you were leaving because of the price rise, whether or not you had commenced migration, they have removed all the discounts from your account.
    When I phoned, the CS rep told me that would happen and it did almost immediately. Have you checked the details in your account? There is a section which lists your services, discounts etc..
    However, I migrated on the 30th April and my PN billing date is the 1st of each month. In spite of my migration a bill has been generated for May and has increased the fibre broadband payment, by about £10, coincidentaly. So in effect I have been billed and pay for for a service I no longer have!
    I am told that a refund will be issued, including unused line rental saver, when my account is finalised.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @OAT
    I read your post on the PN Community pages about the billing.
    But removal of discounts is a penalty and that is against the OFCOM rules for moving away due to a price rise. There can be no penalties incurred, end of.
    We all know that Plusnet have until very recently refused to hand back prepay line rental when you switched away due to a price rise. Plusnet have been stomped upon by OFCOM for that and now return prepaid line rental pro rata.

@TH
    I would also go to OFCOM and submit a report against Plusnet. It will not help you now directly but it will be logged by OFCOM and if they get a lot of these issues then they will "send the boys round" to Plusnet.
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint/changing-provider
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I am aware of all that but I was only giving the o.p. the probable reason for the increased bill.:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @OAT
    Fair enough :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how they bungle your final bill and whether they remember to stop charging you. Old habits and all that. ;)
  • doberryfirkin
    doberryfirkin Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    I am in the same position. I am about to leave PN due to the out of contract price rise. Useful to see the above experiences, wonder if it's worth cancelling the DD at the bank before commencing the leave procedure so PN cannot try to penalize or !!!! up the final bill?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Plusnet are extremely quick to pass debt onto 3rd parties. So I wouldn't cancel your DD with them before you have had a final bill unless you want your credit rating shot.
    Remember you can use the Direct Debt repayment guarantee to get the money back IF they take out funds that they are not entitled to.
    Once they have collected the final bill then cancel the DD straight away. Do not expect them not to use an open DD or for them to cancel it.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    Remember you can use the Direct Debt repayment guarantee to get the money back IF they take out funds that they are not entitled to.
    You can.

I did that after they took too much (I had pointed out to them they had made a mistake after I received the monthly message showing the amount was to be taken).

Used the DD guarantee successfully only to find that they disconnected the bb without notice - meaning we thought there was a service issue, and only discovered their retaliation after doing much troubleshooting. (Resulted in compensation being paid)

Now my chance to jump and they have told me no refund of advance line rental paid but not used, and all discounts removed so expect my next bill to increase by £10

They are shockers to deal with
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @quentin
    Use the complaints link from my post above.
    They HAVE to refund unused prepaid Line Rental and the removal of discounts is a penalty so against OFCOM rules too.
    Complain in writing only - Call centre staff are next to useless.
    Also tell OFCOM - (link also above) as OFCOM are investigating EE about discount removal so it is a live issue for all ISPs
  • TuppenceHapenny
    TuppenceHapenny Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 May 2018 at 11:26PM
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    @quentin
    Use the complaints link from my post above.
    They HAVE to refund unused prepaid Line Rental and the removal of discounts is a penalty so against OFCOM rules too.
    Complain in writing only - Call centre staff are next to useless.
    Also tell OFCOM - (link also above) as OFCOM are investigating EE about discount removal so it is a live issue for all ISPs
    Thanks for your help gsmlnx.
    Plusnet have replied to my complaint and are saying (if I've understood) that they had to remove the discount contract from my account to ensure I am not charged leaving fees and therefore (because they had to remove the discount contract) I'm now liable for the full monthly amount.
    Do you think there is any point in me referring Plusnet to the relevant page of the Ofcom Website which states that all this is against the rules? And can you point me in the direction that page?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure