Query - Potterton Fireside Back Boiler

Options
Having made some enquiries I have been told by Potterton you cannot separate the fire from one of these back boilers as they are licencenced as a package. Just wondered if this was correct. We are currently considering having an electric fire put in front of it and had been thinking of taking the gas fire off the front in order to use the back boiler which is still in good condition.

If we want an electric fire does that mean we will have to change to a Condensing Boiler. Does anyone know of a reasonable price for this, have been quoted £2,500 - £3,000 and just cannot afford this. Living in Bristol area.

Potterton cannot sell back boilers now as obselete (Combi's more efficient and eco friendly), but told me as we already have a back boiler we could apply for a certificate of excemption, but that only leaves us with option of having a gas fire which is compatible with Potterton Fireside Back Boiler and as they are being phased out could be difficult if parts required.

Having put in for a service - Plumber trying to sell us a combi boiler and partner thinks this is just a ploy to sell us a Combi what with gas prices going up in comparison to a back boiler.

Please help - any advice appreciated.

As in quandry about what to do next with half the room decorated.

Comments

• caveat_emptor
    Options
    Not sure about the electric fire/gas back boiler combination but Potterton should know. As they say the gas fire/boiler combination has product certification that would be invalidated if they're separated.
    If you really want an electric fire you'll have a high efficiency condensing combi or system boiler fitted (according to your heating layout). My guess is you've got a hot water cylinder fed from a loft header tank in which case a system boiler is easiest and cheapest replacement. Cost between £750 and £1000. There will be some pipework alterations to connect up new boiler to the existing pipework and cost is going to be dependent on complexity, possibly another £1000.
    Cost of fitting a combi would be higher as it would need new pipework for your domestic hot water.
    Seems a high cost to pay for your electric fire.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • jane_D_4
    jane_D_4 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your advice.

We will do some homework and take it from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure