Why no update for my old Windows?

Options
donnajunkie
donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I read due to a security threat microsoft had sent out an update for older operating systems. I have vista and thought i would turn on the pc and get the update. I found there wasnt any and the update function is still off since they abandoned it.

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    As you said, they abandoned it.

"As of April 11, 2017, Windows Vista customers are no longer receiving new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft."
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    that wrote: »
    As you said, they abandoned it.

"As of April 11, 2017, Windows Vista customers are no longer receiving new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft."

I know but as i said i recently read due to concerns of a similar threat to wannacry that they had sent out an update for the older versions, even windows xp which is older than vista.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Possibly Microsoft does not feel that Vista deserves to be updated? :)
    Actually, as yet there seems no information about whether or not Microsoft will produce a patch for Vista.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    CVE-2019-0708 is only really a big threat if you are sat on a big corporate local area network with other older client PCs.

Its not the biggest risk you might have with a Vista machine if it's sat on a home network with a router acting as a firewall. There are other issues that might bite though.

It would be a bit of a headache for those responsible for patching in the NHS...

Also you might be able to apply the 2008 Server version of the point patch - but I'd let other's test that first ;-)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always find it rather odd that anyone would stick with possibly the worst OS Microsoft ever produced rather than update to one that is immeasurably better (7) or even one that's bad but not as bad as Vista (8).
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    possibly the worst OS Microsoft ever produced
    What did you find specifically bad about Vista? I used both it and Windows 7 and whilst Windows 7 was a bit slicker than Vista, I never found it that much better. I suspect that if Windows 7 had been branded "Vista SP 2" everyone would have hated it as well.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    I always find it rather odd that anyone would stick with possibly the worst OS Microsoft ever produced rather than update to one that is immeasurably better (7) or even one that's bad but not as bad as Vista (8).

because i havent a clue and worry it will screw up. Also paying out for it when i hope to finally get a new system in the not too distant future.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Rather than pull Vista to shreds, the only advice I can offer is upgrade to Windows 10 ASAP. As Vista is longer supported and updated by Microsoft, there is little other help to offer right now. By using outdated software, you are potentially exposing yourself to nasties and exploits. At the very least keep your antivirus up to date.

What machine do you have (make and model) and do you have your data backed up somewhere? It's not too bad to upgrade your PC to Windows 10, the hard part is normally your data and programs and perhaps a few drivers.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    because i havent a clue and worry it will screw up. Also paying out for it when i hope to finally get a new system in the not too distant future.

I can't remember precisely what was on offer that far back but the upgrade to the next version is often free of charge.

Rather than pull Vista to shreds, the only advice I can offer is upgrade to Windows 10 ASAP.

I think I read recently on here that there is no upgrade from Vista to 10 (although it might be possible by going via one or more intermediate versions).
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think I read recently on here that there is no upgrade from Vista to 10 (although it might be possible by going via one or more intermediate versions).
    I recall seeing that you can't upgrade from Vista to 10 for free, but there should be nothing stopping the OP buying a key for 10 in order to perform the upgrade.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure