Check Your Credit Score for Free guide

Options

Comments

• davidmaxwaterman
    Options
    The credit scores/etc aren't just for when you want to borrow money. I want to open a bank account and they are checked then too - ie I don't want to borrow anything, just get paid and withdraw money. Of course, there's a risk to them somewhere, which is why they're checking - presumably it is overdrafts or something like that; but it's certainly not me wanting any money, instead I just want the service of a bank account.

A couple of refusals caused me to check the report and there's something on my report about someone else - it won't tell me what or who because even to them it is clear it isn't me. So, now I have to figure out how to fix that error.

Of course, I'm assuming that is what the problem is. Like someone else here, I notice all the balances are wrong - most of them are zero, with only my credit card being different, at £3. Are those balances supposed to be accurate?
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    The credit scores/etc aren't just for when you want to borrow money. I want to open a bank account and they are checked then too - ie I don't want to borrow anything, just get paid and withdraw money. Of course, there's a risk to them somewhere, which is why they're checking - presumably it is overdrafts or something like that; but it's certainly not me wanting any money, instead I just want the service of a bank account.

A couple of refusals caused me to check the report and there's something on my report about someone else - it won't tell me what or who because even to them it is clear it isn't me. So, now I have to figure out how to fix that error.

Of course, I'm assuming that is what the problem is. Like someone else here, I notice all the balances are wrong - most of them are zero, with only my credit card being different, at £3. Are those balances supposed to be accurate?

Everything is supposed to be accurate, but the CRAs don't do quality assurance, so it's a certainty that their databases will be riddled with errors.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

The reports are checked yes but not the score, only you can see the score. I can bump up the score if you like if you forward me some biscuits eg Garibaldi, custard creams.
  • Rosie1980
    Options
    My dad died 7 years ago, I just realised that he still appears as a financial association on my Mum's credit report. He always paid on time and his credit file at death would undoubtedly have been good. However will having someone who, presumably isn't showing any credit currently, be negatively impacting her credit score?
  • No as the scores and ratings are made up

If however she checks her files and sees a financial association in there with your dad then she would need to file a notice of disassociation with all 3 CRA’s
  • Rosie1980
    Options
    I know the scores/ratings are made up. From what you are saying I can assume that when she is checked by a company for credit suitability his lack of current credit won't detriment her chances of getting it.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rosie1980 wrote: »
    I know the scores/ratings are made up. From what you are saying I can assume that when she is checked by a company for credit suitability his lack of current credit won't detriment her chances of getting it.

I assume the financial association would be no more on the passing of your dad. Maybe speak to the credit ref agencies.

You say credit report, is it the same with all 3 agencies ?
  • Rosie1980
    Options
    All I can say is under "Financial Associations" my Dad is listed. I've only checked with one agency but I would assume as they held a joint bank account that it would be the same for all three.
  • If the accounts are closed or he is removed from the accounts as a joint holder then you can request the financial associations be removed
  • Rosie1980
    Options
    Oh yes, I hadn't thought of that, clearly may brain isn't entirely engaged at the moment. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure