Orlando flights

Options
I started looking around for flights for our holiday day-in July next year and I've been using all the regular comparison sites such as kayak and Skyscanner.

There RFU you good deals on there which which cost on average £100 a ticket less than the airline is quoting.

My question is can only Trust the travel brokers that are included on websites such as as sky scanner and kayak or am I still put in my money at risk by booking with them ?

Comments

• steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The thing to remember with travel brokers is you don't know if the prices they are displaying is in real time.

Also, should you go through a broker & you have an issue, the airline wont want to know you.
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nannytone wrote: »
    I started looking around for flights for our holiday day-in July next year and I've been using all the regular comparison sites such as kayak and Skyscanner.

There RFU you good deals on there which which cost on average £100 a ticket less than the airline is quoting.

My question is can only Trust the travel brokers that are included on websites such as as sky scanner and kayak or am I still put in my money at risk by booking with them ?

It really depends on which Skyscanner advertising links you are presented with (as that is what they are). Some I wouldn’t trust and would avoid like a dose of the Clap.

First choice would be the airline direct. Netflights, Travelbag I would also trust but check booking terms before making the reservation. Avoid Bravofly, eDreams, eSky, CarltonFlights.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would not trust the advertisers on skyscanner and kayak as a default position...they need to be checked out individually

the main things to bear in mind with third party adverts is that you do need to fully read and understand what you are asking them to purchase.
    unlike the airline, third parties don't have a stock of tickets to sell so you make a 'booking request' to see whether they can provide it at the advertised price and they place a hold on funds.
    They will generally deal with requests within 24-72 hours...at that point you will find out whether they can supply the ticket at the price.
    You will then either receive a ticket confirmation, be asked for more money or wait for your funds back (possibly having to involve credit card company)

If you are going to use a third party I would suggest researching first whether they are reputable (air travel forum on TripAdvisor seems to have plenty threads on the usual suspects)
    Read the terms and conditions you are agreeing too...some third party fees and terms are so horrendous I am convinced 100% of the people that agreed to them have never read them and just ticked a box

note: If you need hold baggage you will likely be cheaper purchasing a fare that includes baggage rather than a lite/basic ticket and adding baggage.
    all clear on the airlines websites but generally third parties will sell the most restricted tickets (people looking for 'cheap')

I suspect a good % of the people that use third parties have uneventful booking and travelling experiences but you need to be aware of potential risks of involving a middleman.
    Many of the complaints on tripadvisor are not valid complaints and are the result of people not reading what they were buying
    eg I cannot get a refund on a non-refundable ticket
    I have to pay for baggage as my ticket does not include any
    booked a ticket and they want more money (happens when chasing non-live fares)
    additional high fees on on top of the airline fees for changes (in the t&cs)
    I paid for a flexiticket and it does not work like I thought it would (translated as - I didn't read what it was)
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ...and a surprising many who cannot spell even their own name then get huffy when faced with a charge to correct their mistake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure