One big mess

Options
So this is an unusual one.

I ordered an item from Quiz clothing and paid next day delivery using PayPal. After checkout, email arrived and said delivery to my old address (haven’t lived there since March). Immediately try to contact them via phone and told only web help available. Completes email (24 hour turn around) and a fb message. Check Paypal and the old address is nowhere to be seen.

Since then item dispatched and quiz can do nothing, unable to contact hermes to intervene. Parcel is successfully delivered so I drive to old house to discover it is currently vacant! Check signature and it’s signed with my surname so been signed for fraudulently.

Quiz advise that since gps places van at the house and it’s been signed for, it’s deemed a compliant delivery by themselves and Hermes.

I opened up a dispute via PayPal but I can’t see it going anywhere since it’s delivered to the address I’ve allegedly given. Also tried to email a complaint to Paypal but I keep getting f the standard open up a dispute blurb.

Do I have any rights here at all? Or have I put myself up creak?!

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They can only have used the address that PayPal gave them, it isn't easy to check your address until you buy something else and it shows up on the page before you confirm payment . You are correct in that if seller posted to the address given by PayPal and can prove delivery then any INR claim will fail.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Options
    I've just played around with my PayPal account and you can check all your addresses by logging in, clicking on the cog (I think it's a cog) symbol at top. It shows your default address, and there's a clickable link to see all your other addresses as well (I have several in mine). It's probably best to delete any addresses you don't want, and then double check that your default address is the one you usually use.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • loonywitch
    Options
    There was definitely only my current address listed as this has happened previously (when the address was still on there) but I managed to intercept that parcel. I ensured it was taken off the account along with my mum’s, sister in law’s and work address. It says only 1 address listed. Yet after when I rang Paypal up to complain, the advisor somehow found it and deleted it. I’ve been assured it won’t happen again going forward but not explanation as to how.

So I appreciate it isnt Quiz’s fault but they’re not being helpful. Paypal have messed up and either delivery driver has been dishonest and signed my name fraudulently or they’ve delivered to the wrong address and they’ve signed it instead.

Either way, do I have any rights? Surely Paypal storing my old address despite me removing it is against GDPR?
  • soolin
    Options
    loonywitch wrote: »
    There was definitely only my current address listed as this has happened previously (when the address was still on there) but I managed to intercept that parcel. I ensured it was taken off the account along with my mum’s, sister in law’s and work address. It says only 1 address listed. Yet after when I rang Paypal up to complain, the advisor somehow found it and deleted it. I’ve been assured it won’t happen again going forward but not explanation as to how.

So I appreciate it isnt Quiz’s fault but they’re not being helpful. Paypal have messed up and either delivery driver has been dishonest and signed my name fraudulently or they’ve delivered to the wrong address and they’ve signed it instead.

Either way, do I have any rights? Surely Paypal storing my old address despite me removing it is against GDPR?
    I suspect the way they would defend it is by pointing out that on the final payment screen it shows the address and amount which it suggests you check before paying. At that point you could have changed the address and complained to them that your attempt to remove it previously had failed.
  • loonywitch
    Options
    What about the fact the property is vacant and someone has fraudulently signed my name? And I also have video evidence that I was at home, and photo ID with my signature. Do you think that will mean naff all?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Your real signature vs what can be written on a handheld pad can be very different, so I can't see any real mileage with that angle.
  • ToxicWomble
    Options
    It amazes me that with current “tech” it would be very simple to also take a picture of the person signing for the delivery to help aid identification in case of these seemingly common problems.
    Is there any reason this isn’t being done ?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Probably GDPR/privacy.
  • soolin
    Options
    It amazes me that with current “tech” it would be very simple to also take a picture of the person signing for the delivery to help aid identification in case of these seemingly common problems.
    Is there any reason this isn’t being done ?

So a random photo of a strange person wearing a dressing gown and with a towel round their hair (I had just got out of the bath!) would prove what exactly? Or are you suggesting that only the named person can accept a parcel- so the one I took in yesterday for my daughter in law (who lives elsewhere) could never have been left with me?
    DoaM wrote: »
    Probably GDPR/privacy.

I suspect that's one reason as well.
  • ToxicWomble
    Options
    Well if you don’t think having a photo of the person who signed for the delivery attached to the digital signature would help that’s fine - I however think in scenarios where there is a dispute it would be very useful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure