PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Compensation for issues when moving into a rental

Options

Comments

• ollyole
    ollyole Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    mrginge wrote: »
    You asked what compensation you should ask for.

Not ‘should I ask for compensation?’

The logical conclusion being that you had already decided you were due some level of compensation.

A slight modification of language can produce very different results.

As for my comment that you quoted, I do love millennials. If you are not a millennial then that is also fine.

Some millennials have a sense of entitlement, just like individuals from other generations. I don’t know whether it is more or less prevalent with millennials because I haven’t done any research. But regardless, I stil love millennials.

The phrasing was purely down to reading other threads which say things like 'claim back incurred expenses that have resulted from these problems'.

As for your suggestion that a whole generation may or may not be 'entitled', google it and see which newspaper puts out such nonsense.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    Wyndham wrote: »
    I think the boiler is significant here, and surely should have been picked up on a gas check?

That is not always the case...a CP12 gas safety certificate needs to be provided on an annual basis...so in theory it could be 11 months since the boiler was last inspected and still have a current certification.

As with all boilers if they are not run regularly issues can occur...it may be that the property had a void period between tenants and as such hadn't been used for a while.

With regard to refunds or compensation,you do need to be realistic and perhaps even apply the situation that as a homeowner would you be able to get the problem sorted any quicker.

Being a tenant doesnt automatically entitle you to preferential treatment or fast track when it comes to repairs.
    Many homeowners face similar waiting times for plumbers/heating engineers and parts etc.

The OP hasnt disclosed what the problem with the boiler was but in fairness to those involved having to deal with a managing agent a LL and a heating engineer all in the space of 5 days from report to fix is not a bad turnaround time.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • ollyole
    Options
    Wyndham wrote: »
    I think the boiler is significant here, and surely should have been picked up on a gas check? Could you shower/bathe, or did you have to wash in the sink with water from the kettle for 5 days? If so, that's where I would focus any effort for a refund - you can't get nearly as clean, and washing hair is a particular pain with that method.

Others seem to disagree, but worth saying that due to various issues when I moved into one flat I did ask the landlord for compensation. In the end I got £100, which was mostly for the blood stained mattress which I refused to use due to it being a bio-hazard, as well as an issue with the shower which made it unusable and a few other things. I then gave the money to Shelter as I fully realised that there are plenty of people who are much worse off than I am, but it was more that I wanted to make a point as I did not feel it met the right standards.

OP - good luck, and please don't feel picked on. P.S. I'm an established poster, and certainly NOT a millennial!

I couldn't wash in the sinks because the water just leaks out. For 3 days we had baths (kettle) and I shaved using a bucket to hold the water. For the final 2 days, we got PAYG gym membership to use their showers.

As the place was unclean when we arrived, we also had to go to the launderette to wash the various clothes/towels we had used to clean walls, fittings etc.

We have receipts for both that I had planned to claim back. And possibly the day off work I took as they don't have a set of keys and I had to let the tradesmen in, not sure how to approach this.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only thing you might have a chance to get a refund for are the things you were promised to be in place before you move, ie. what do you have, in writing, that states: 'The landlord will do X, Y and Z' before tenant moves in'.

Even then, you might get nothing, but you never know, your landlord might be a kind and reasonable person and accept a small deduction form next month's rent. Not compensation as such, nothing that will take you on a nice holiday, but a gesture of goodwill as they call it!
  • LEJC
    Options
    The key situation is puzzling me....the managing agent genuinely doesnt hold a set or you preferred to be there whilst the tradespeople were there and therefore let them in???

• ollyole
    Options
    LEJC wrote: »
    That is not always the case...a CP12 gas safety certificate needs to be provided on an annual basis...so in theory it could be 11 months since the boiler was last inspected and still have a current certification.

As with all boilers if they are not run regularly issues can occur...it may be that the property had a void period between tenants and as such hadn't been used for a while.

With regard to refunds or compensation,you do need to be realistic and perhaps even apply the situation that as a homeowner would you be able to get the problem sorted any quicker.

Being a tenant doesnt automatically entitle you to preferential treatment or fast track when it comes to repairs.
    Many homeowners face similar waiting times for plumbers/heating engineers and parts etc.

The OP hasnt disclosed what the problem with the boiler was but in fairness to those involved having to deal with a managing agent a LL and a heating engineer all in the space of 5 days from report to fix is not a bad turnaround time.

Due to the number of issues I didn't go into detail. The boiler needed a replacement circuit board to start up. It also needs a new expansion tank as it over pressurizes resulting in it needing to be topped up several times a day, gas engineer will return next week to fit it.

Just to be clear I have no problem with the response of letting agency once issues were raised. It's purely down to how they could release the property in such a state. They claim to have a check in procedure which either missed all these issues or was never carried out.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    ollyole wrote: »
    The phrasing was purely down to reading other threads which say things like 'claim back incurred expenses that have resulted from these problems'.
    Thankyou for your information.
    What expenses have you incurred?
    You have not listed any expenses on your OP, perhaps if you had, again you may have had a different response.

I advise a greater consideration for the content of your posts.

Expenses are not compensation by the way.
    As for your suggestion that a whole generation may or may not be 'entitled', google it and see which newspaper puts out such nonsense.

I have not made any such suggestion about an entire generation, which you can clearly see from the two words ‘Some millennials’.

So I await your apology for this slander.
  • LEJC
    Options

Just to be clear I have no problem with the response of letting agency once issues were raised. It's purely down to how they could release the property in such a state. They claim to have a check in procedure which either missed all these issues or was never carried out.

Then if that is your "gripe" so to speak and I apologise if iv'e not picked the right word......the issue of compensation would not be with you but with the LL making that claim from the management agency.

Someone else earlier pointed out that the actual contract with the management company is between the LL and agent....absolutely correct.
    The contract you have is with the LL.
    Therefore if the managing agent has not done what they contracted to do in their contract between themselves and the LL to ready the property then its the LL who needs to persue as its he/she who pays for that service and has not received it ...not you.

• ollyole
    Options
    LEJC wrote: »
    The key situation is puzzling me....the managing agent genuinely doesnt hold a set or you preferred to be there whilst the tradespeople were there and therefore let them in???

Puzzling for me too. They handed me 1 set of keys and told me they don't have a set themselves. I emailed them after getting to the property with a list of issues and asked if they would like a set cut for them so they can have access to the property (for tradesmen et al). They replied that they didn't want a set and would not be reimbursing me to have keys cut.
  • LEJC
    edited 4 October 2017 at 1:59PM
    Options
    Puzzling for me too. They handed me 1 set of keys and told me they don't have a set themselves. I emailed them after getting to the property with a list of issues and asked if they would like a set cut for them so they can have access to the property (for tradesmen et al). They replied that they didn't want a set and would not be reimbursing me to have keys cut.

In this situation you could contact your LL direct and politely request the second set of keys if you have a joint tenancy with someone as it is reasonable that all named on the TA should have a set of keys.

With regard to the managing agent not holding a set you could include in your email to the LL something that politely suggests that if future repairs or access is required to the flat that the LL may not be in a position to rely on you being there and you would suggest that either the managing agent will be on hand or indeed the LL themselves to over view any issues....hence the need perhaps for keys to be retained by the managing agent.
    Again it is not reasonable for a managing agent or LL to expect that you take time off work to be there when access is required....both are infinitely capable of being at your property in your place,or able to sign keys over to a tradesperson.
    However if it is a case that you would prefer to be present then I think that is a decision you make and as such you cant claim loss of earnings for attending.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport