Options

Comments

• MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Thank you, sheramber! You're awesome! :D

That'll save Mrs MbW from having to worry about using the HMRC website from where she is.
  • kezzygirl
    kezzygirl Posts: 889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, hoping someone can help. My husband has claimed tax allowance for the past 2 years, his pay has now increased and so marriage allowance is now pointless as he is over the threshold. We have cancelled it on the online gateway, it says it will run until April 2018 but once it's cancelled it is backdated to the date it was originally claimed from?? How can they backdate and remove the allowance when he was eligible at the time but has simply increased pay? Will this mean he will owe tax? Thanks in advance
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 January 2018 at 3:06PM
    Options
    Which one of you cancelled it ?
    You or your partner can cancel Marriage Allowance online. You’ll be asked to prove your identity using information HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) holds about you.
    The date the allowance ends depends on who cancels it.
    If you stop transferring the allowance to your partner, it will run until the end of the tax year (5 April).
    If your partner asks to stop receiving your allowance, HMRC will backdate the change to the start of the tax year you first started transferring it.
    https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance/if-your-circumstances-change

So if he cancelled it then he will get a bill for all received since first starting, if you cancelled it will run to the end of this FY and he will have to pay back this year's if he is now a higher tax payer.
  • Robson65
    Robson65 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Robson65

After I told a friend about this she applied and she got her claim backdated but when they sent her the money she was owed they taxed it ? Is that right ? Should she be paying tax on tax relief ?
    Many thanks
    Robson

Someone has got very confused somewhere along the line. Anyone who applies for Marraige Allowance can never ever pay less tax as a result. They either pay the same or more. It is their spouse who could pay less but never the applicant. If she applied as you have stated then she cannot expect to pay less tax.

First port of call would probably be to check exactly what she has done.
    Robson65 wrote: »
    She isn't paying less tax but has had to pay tax on the backdated lump sum.

She isn't paying less tax but she's had to pay tax on the backdated lump sum ?
    I almost had a psychic boyfriend but he left me before we met.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 January 2018 at 9:16PM
    Options
    She isn't paying less tax but has had to pay tax on the backdated lump sum.
    She isn't paying less tax but she's had to pay tax on the backdated lump sum ?

First time I've ever seen someone querying his/her own comments :)
  • Robson65
    Robson65 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had a tablet for Christmas! Haven't got to grips with it yet !
    I almost had a psychic boyfriend but he left me before we met.
  • RK166
    Options
    Hi

Does anybody know would I be entitled to this if my wife is not currently a British citizen but is living in the UK with me ?
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RK166 wrote: »
    Hi

Does anybody know would I be entitled to this if my wife is not currently a British citizen but is living in the UK with me ?

Should be if she has an NI number.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Brighton_belle
    Options
    Hope someone can help - I can't quite understand how it says if you earn less than £11,00 a year you can transfer £1,100 of your tax allowance to your spouse. But what if you have earned £10,800, wouldn't transfering that much of your tax allowance mean you end up paying tax?
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope someone can help - I can't quite understand how it says if you earn less than £11,00 a year you can transfer £1,100 of your tax allowance to your spouse. But what if you have earned £10,800, wouldn't transfering that much of your tax allowance mean you end up paying tax?
    Yes but the person transferred to will pay less tax and, using the figures you quote, between you would be £40 better off.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback