Keeping your existing number.

Options
Hi all.

I currently have my home phone and BB with Virgin media. I'm in the last thirty days of my contract and am thinking of moving to a new provider.

I've not decided on a new provider yet, so just want to know how long do I have to decide before I lose my number?

My contract expires October 7th, if I signed up to say Plusnet on the last day of September, would that be too late to keep my existing number?

I just want to know how long I can spend waiting on offers from other providers before I have to sign up to one.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your service from present provider should continue till you cancel. Phone contracts are usually a minimum period.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Hurley
    Hurley Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Your service from present provider should continue till you cancel. Phone contracts are usually a minimum period.

Thanks for the quick reply Alter ego.

Yeah my 12 months are up with Virgin on October 7th. What I want to know is if I don't sign up to another provider until October 6th for example, would I lose my number as it may take longer than a day for the new provider to port the number over?
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Your service wont cease on the 7th October, all that happens is your minimum term ends and you will be on a rolling contract, probably 30 days. Any discounts you have had may also end
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No you should not, your service will not stop at end of contract. You just cannot cancel before Oct 7th. You can cancel anytime after.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Hurley
    Options
    Sorry, I've not made myself clear.

I intend to cancel now, so my services end on October 7th.

I am hoping Virgin come back with a better deal, if not then I will go with another provider.

This is why I'm concerned with how much time I have to play with as I don't want to lose the family number.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If yoi want to keep the number then you need to place an order with the new provider first, advising them that you want the number and it's currently with Virgin.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    All assuming Virgin will release the number. Think the OP needs to find out if it is possible.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    All assuming Virgin will release the number. Think the OP needs to find out if it is possible.

Is there any possibility that they wouldn't? Genuine question as I've never had Virgin.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    If this is Virgin Cable then it's possible that it might not be technically possible to transfer the number into another provider.

All providers have to allow transfer out, but not all providers will allow transfer in.

Also, if transferring from Virgin Cable to an Openreach-based provider, you may have to wait for Openreach to install a new line to your house.

An alternative is to get your new Openreach-based broadband up and running on a new number, then port the old number to a Voice over IP provider so ending the Virgin service.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Hurley
    Options
    Well the number was originally from BT then I transferred it to Virgin.

I have a BT socket at my house.

I thought it would be as simple as asking my new provider to keep my existing number and activate my old BT line?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure