PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Kondo-ing has slowed here due to all the low-hanging fruit being discarded already. I am now very firmly in the use-it-up-and-rag-it mode.

One cleaning rag, itself half an old tea towel, turned out to have developed some interesting holes when hiding under the sink as the cotton is literally giving way. That was laundered and is in the rag-bag. I have also almost put my finger through the kitchen towel, so we will see how well that stands up to laundering but I suspect it is closer to holiness than righteousness.

This towel isn't actually a towel, it's home-made from a piece of towelling. It has a very 1970s floral pattern on it because that is when the piece of towelling was bought.

Mum made it into what can only be described as a changing robe, essentially a tube with an elasticated neck hole for us to pull on when changing into and out of swimming cozzies at the beach. And I mean jolly old baltic english beaches, not the costa del ravers.

It spent a few years in that role and then loitered in drawers until Mum decided she wanted a cloth roller-towel for the pine kitchen towel roll holder (this was the 1980s, it was gingerish pine, forgive us our sins). This didn't work out really well and the towelling (now a loop) went back into a drawer where it lurked until yours truly got a hold of it early in the new millennium and turned it into three hand-towel size towels.

I think the one I have is the last survivor of the three and when it eventually hits the rag-bag, it'll be the end on an era, really.:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :)...Mum made it into what can only be described as a changing robe, essentially a tube with an elasticated neck hole for us to pull on when changing into and out of swimming cozzies at the beach. And I mean jolly old baltic english beaches, not the costa del ravers...

We had one of those - ours was a deep pink colour, dyed in the twintub along with the wooden tongs :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The weekend's gathering for the CS was dropped off today. I took a client to the opticians and while she was in there I popped along the street to AgeUK and handed in the bag.

I was inspired to seperate the 'too small' clothes into like garments, bagged and labelled with the sizes (the actual sizes not what was on the label !). They can easily be identified when the time comes to select them. They are now neatly folded in a suitcase.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I used to do nearly new sales (NNS) 3x/ year to get rid of lots of the kids stuff. Haven't done one since 07/17, so have missed 3 in effect. Now that the kids are getting older we have less suitable stuff, so it's not been that much of an impact. At the start of the hols I got all the boxed stuff down from the garage loft and went through it. Some went to CS, I sold quite a lot on fbook and a small amount of clothing went to recycling. I was going to be ruthless with the remainder and do the same with that, just so it's gone. However, having gone through it again yesterday and properly sorted it out, there's the opportunity in there for my kids to recoup a decent amount of money (they get the funds from and toys/ books, I get funds from clothes (and equipment when they were small enough to need it) I've checked and the next sale is only 5 weeks away, so I shall do that one with all of this (pricing it so that as much as possible hopefully sells!) and then revisit what's left. It's a slow exit route for the stuff but there is a definite plan in place. It's a different NNS to the ones I used to do, so will see how it works out. I may do one every 12-18 months whilst we still have stuff (will take that long to accumulate a reasonable amount of suitable stuff, I think) I know/ understand the sunk cost fallacy, but would like my kids to benefit from the opportunity to sell some of this stuff where I can :D

In the meantime, my stuff is generally exiting via CS/ passing on/ being recycled. I think I can finally see a difference in some areas in the house now! (I'd perhaps be able to see more if it weren't the school hols, so stuff is everywhere!)
    :D
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I have had to Kondo my microwave, as it gave up the ghost last week. It was only four years old, which is a bit disappointing. The new one I bought is almost identical. I am now having a bit of a Justin dilemma! The old microwave is going to the tip for recycling of course. The old glass turntable is identical to the new one, should I keep it, just in case I break one?

I am feeling weak, I think I know the answer but I may need some help here!: :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Polly have you ever broken the turntable before? I've only ever broken 1 in almost 30 years of m/w ownership...
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Never broken a microwave turntable, but I know I'd be having the same dilemma if the old one fitted the new.

I think I've got a spare slow cooker pot in the loft. Or it might be the cooking body part I've got, it's one or the other, I can't remember which! See how easy it is to forget what you've got when it's stashed away for Justin! And I only came across that when I was looking for something else, I'd forgotten about it. I suppose a Justin logbook may have some use, if you ever remembered to write/audit it.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You can often find microwave turntables on flebay, so if you did get rid of the old one, you could perhaps - if ever necessary - get a replacement on t'bay? (Or sell your old one on there in the meantime?)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mmmm however...

I find microwave glass plates quite useful for putting food on - i.e setting out cheese and biscuits or cakes on a buffet. I have 3 spare ones :o and they don't take much room up as they are stacked one on top of another with something else stored on top.

Am i banished from the thread now...:p:rotfl:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Go and stand in the corner!

Thank you for the voice of reason. No, I have never broken a microwave glass turntable in 30 or more years. I've just had a quick look online, and a new one would be under £30 - I think balancing the likelihood of breaking it against the trouble of storing it, it's not worth it. I don't tend to do large buffets, so it's not worth keeping for that! I have a guilty feeling that the glass turntable for the microwave before this is still lurking in the garage somewhere... out it goes. Thank you for your support, Kondo friends, i'm feeling much better now.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure