PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Good locations for cheaper houses

Options

Comments

• tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I'm still trying to work out why anyone would want to leave the South West.......

Plenty of reasonable houses in the less fashionable towns of Devon within your budget. Close to the sea too, if you want it.

Plenty in Cornwall also at that budget
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Another vote for Newark. We moved up from London end last year. But what sort of property do you want, the budget you indicate would get you a three bedroom detached in a newer development, some of which are in Newark's surrounding villages. But you'd probably struggle for four or an older/period red brick or cottage property unless you were prepared to do some work on it or compromise on the detached criteria. Fab town, great links to London, Nottingham, Lincoln...but a little way from the coast though: Skegvegas, Mablethorpe, Scarborough. We love it here, early forties, dropped down from full to part time work to be able to enjoy it more.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mardle wrote: »
    Have a look at the area around Louth, Lincolnshire. It's a lovely market town with a cinema, theatre, leisure centre, a great selection of independent shops & a small hospital.

I too would recommend Louth but, be aware it's full of 'lemmings' especially on market day, pedestrians tend not to look before strolling across the road.

More used to tractors probably.

:D
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    Options
    We lived in North West Kent first (London/Surrey borders) we then moved down to the coast various places along there. Quite liked it there but much prefer it up here.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2018 at 11:17AM
    Options
    Not going to offer any suggestions but research the places you are considering in all seasons,not just based on a weekend away during spring or a 2 week stay in august...what about a chilly November or a snowy December too.

I personally have found that some of the welsh areas are rather stunning its easy to see when you delve a little deeper that some of the communities do not always welcome new residents to the area. You may live there and be tolerated but to some you will never be welsh

Its a personal viewpoint from someone who has a welsh parent but even I know I'm never going to be considered to fit into a true welsh community.
    I've not made my comment in relation to Anglesey per se more based on some of the valley areas.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    Plenty in Cornwall also at that budget
    Having lived in East Anglia for 19 years, all I can say is I was glad to be rid of the boring flat scenery when I moved back home to Cornwall. :D
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    Having lived in East Anglia for 19 years, all I can say is I was glad to be rid of the boring flat scenery when I moved back home to Cornwall. :D

Yes, it is prettier to look at but, when you are born into flat scenery, slopes are a pain the butt, legs, feet, back... To say nothing of a waste of time. You can walk so much further on one level than going up and down and up and down only to find you have progressed about six feet horizontally. :D:p
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 July 2018 at 11:49AM
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    You can walk so much further on one level than going up and down and up and down only to find you have progressed about six feet horizontally. :D:p
    Well I would rather walk up a hill or along the coast seeing the bright blue clear sea and have glorious views rather than looking at flat fields with no view and muddy brown coloured sea, it all depends on how much satisfaction you get from where you live and I know where I would rather be.:):p
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    Well I would rather walk up a hill or along the coast seeing the bright blue clear sea and have glorious views rather than looking at flat fields with no view and muddy brown coloured sea, it all depends on how much satisfaction you get from where you live and I know where I would rather be.:):p

So do I, I just can't afford to live among the flat fields any more. You can keep the coast, whichever bit of it.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's possible to get hilly landscape and flat water meadow environments quite close together in Somerset, though 'proper' seaside is more tricky if added into the mix.

I'd just add caution about some of the well-priced properties now coming to market on the Levels, where owners are probably hoping people won't remember the flooding in 2014.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure