What are your top tips for keeping your eye on your kids when travelling?

Options
Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
articlealert2_banner.gif

As any parent will know one of your worst nightmares when travelling is the thought of losing your kids in the airport scrum.

Some of the MSE staff were just chatting about ways to keep an eye on them after we read the suggestion of a temporary tattoo of your mobile number on their arm!

On my recent holiday I stuck mine in brightly coloured hats or clothes with spots on and took a photo of them in what they were wearing before we left.

If you've just come back from hols or still to head off, what tips can you add?

If you haven’t joined the forum yet but want to join in you can join the forum here
This is one of many Tips in our 50 Overseas Travel Tips Guide
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• savemon3y
    Options
    We tend to put our phone numbers on their clothing labels and a band around their arms (we just grabbed a few more when we visited theme parks) and in their pocket.

Just waiting for a comment from somebody injecting a GPS transmittor in their kids!!!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    savemon3y wrote: »
    We tend to put our phone numbers on their clothing labels and a band around their arms (we just grabbed a few more when we visited theme parks) and in their pocket.

Just waiting for a comment from somebody injecting a GPS transmittor in their kids!!!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'm amazed at the tattoo idea.

I may be old fashioned but holding hands or strapping into buggy always worked for mine.
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's very easy for modern parents to forget they have kids with them.
    One minute they're ordering drinks at the bar [@ 06:15] and then suddenly they have a feeling that they've forgotten something.
    By the time it's dawned on them that the kids are AWOL, it's too late and they have to rush the drink to go look for them.
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Top Tip:

Rope_zps76c01ab7.jpg

Sorry. :rotfl:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mcfisco wrote: »
    It's very easy for modern parents to forget they have kids with them.
    One minute they're ordering drinks at the bar [@ 06:15] and then suddenly they have a feeling that they've forgotten something.
    By the time it's dawned on them that the kids are AWOL, it's too late and they have to rush the drink to go look for them.

It can happen to anyone!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2157441/David-Cameron-wife-left-daughter-Nancy-8-pub-15-minutes.html
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    I used to tell them that if they were caught without us the security men would stop them going on holiday!!! :D

They were always good as gold.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leave them at home and let someone else look after them?

Or more seriously, do as a lady I met on a train recently on her way back from a music festival had done with her kids - write her mobile number in indelible ink on their arm so that if they did get lost anyone finding them would be able to contact her straight away.
  • nicsue44
    nicsue44 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    My American friends used to dress the whole family in the same t-shirts. If a kid go AWOL it is easy (for parent or child) to show security (or whoever) - the lost kid/my Mum and Dad is wearing a t-shirt just like this.
    Simple - just think about what t-shirt you would all like to wear ;)
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Or just hold their hand and keep your eye on them .........always worked for me- Never mislaid him on holiday :)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • freshfruitbandit
    Options
    I attach a 'tile' to a keyring and attach that to my child which means i can use an app to track their location around me. Supposed to be for keys, but i bought four and worked out that using it to track my two kids when out and about or in busy places could be really useful.

https://www.thetileapp.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport