Teenagers first holiday without parents

Options

Comments

• BorisThomson
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Wow £15/£20 a day for food! thats more than people live off for a months food! I appreciate the son is young but I think it would be a good idea to give less in order to discipline him for future budgeting rather than let him go all out.

Though in reality theres no set amount of money, someone may have £20 a day and spent £10, someone may have £10 and not stretch it far its finding that middle ground that is hard, by all means more try and factor in costs rather than luxuries.

They're going on holiday, not on an exercise in frugality. £20 will not go far in covering two or three meals and a couple of snacks. Leave the lessons on dried pasta and tinned tomatoes for another time!
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They won't be cooking food so it will obviously cost more than people's shopping budget. Also most hotels now charge a separate rate for breakfast and it isn't always the best value compared to finding a pub or cafe that does breakfast.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    To be honest I think you should just give him some money and leave him to it, rather than being a helicopter parent and trying to organise his whole life for him.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I second the Wetherspoons idea, especially for breakfast. They are everywhere in London, there's even one in Whitehall right by Trafalgar Square.
    You can download their app.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Wow £15/£20 a day for food! thats more than people live off for a months food!
    Really? £20 for a months food? I know this is a moneysaving site but be realistic.
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Really? £20 for a months food? I know this is a moneysaving site but be realistic.

Exactly! A week, maybe, being very frugal. But a month??

And anyway, it's a holiday. Not a frugality training camp.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They're going on holiday, not on an exercise in frugality. £20 will not go far in covering two or three meals and a couple of snacks. Leave the lessons on dried pasta and tinned tomatoes for another time!

Don't treat me like I am silly, point was £15/£20 a day was just splashing out, I never said be frugal I was meaning that rather than the person go for something that costs £10 at Nandos go for something that is like £3 at Mcdonalds, if they just splashed out its because they know its not being paid for by themselves

Im not frugal and can make my money go far, when on holiday instead of just grabbing everything full price though spend a few minutes to get things at a fraction of the cost, even in Edinburgh I can get a 3 course meal for £6.50, yet if I just went to one near the station cost would be at least £20 for same thing and not as good quality, it helps everyone as the lad has more money to spend and learns a lesson, different than saying he should live off pasta..

Even at Mcdonalds you get £2 meals, £10./15 a day is more than fair, even more so when the lad has his own cash.

I didn't say £20 for a months food, I was talking about overall over the cost of a week £15/20 a day would work out £105/£140

And besides people say £75 a week for a benefit claimaint is more than enough to live off for everything including clothing and utilities.

But the point was which I was talking about above even places like McDonalds have £2 meals, theres a fine line between learning a lesson and just splashing the cash, we only live once but doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    You did say that some people have 15/20 pounds a month for food.

He's on holiday. It's not about learning lessons!

How do you or any of us know that he can't budget at the moment. He's saved money. It's up to him how he spends it.

I can get a two course meal for 8 pounds but I don't live in London. This isn't about benefits.

There are some people who spend 100 quid a week plus on food when they aren't on holiday.

Of course it's good if he manages to eat cheaply and have money left over but if he doesn't he doesn't.

Personally I'd have booked the travel weeks ago. That's when you get the discounted fares. Not so much last minute.

Most of the hotels I've stayed in have had breakfast included but I tend to book through places like booking.com
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    You did say that some people have 15/20 pounds a month for food.

He's on holiday. It's not about learning lessons!

How do you or any of us know that he can't budget at the moment. He's saved money. It's up to him how he spends it.

I can get a two course meal for 8 pounds but I don't live in London. This isn't about benefits.

There are some people who spend 100 quid a week plus on food when they aren't on holiday.

Of course it's good if he manages to eat cheaply and have money left over but if he doesn't he doesn't.

Personally I'd have booked the travel weeks ago. That's when you get the discounted fares. Not so much last minute.

Most of the hotels I've stayed in have had breakfast included but I tend to book through places like booking.com

No I didn't its about interpretation of what I said, the poster clearly said at the start the son was going away for a WEEK, I was rounding up the money over the week, not my fault if you thought otherwise.

I mean do you really think I was saying people live on £15/£20 a month?! (can happen, I outside of luxuries can do that with little effort by buying yellow sticker stuff, but do you really think I didn't know someone on holiday won't have cooking facilties most liklely or know the area!)As thats just silly.

And the rest is just silly, so London doesn't have places like McDonalds anywhere at all? It was a example to say that outside of well known chains you can get a good deal.

Do you know how much he saved? Well then it could be £100, it could be £1000, but if the parents are thinking £20 a day is a good amount of money it would seem maybe not as much as its paying his upkeep whilst hes away.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    It's the way you wrote the post, other people thought the same as I did. Not everyone likes McDonalds or subway or KFC. It's up to him how much he spends.

Or doesn't spend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport