PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Three weeks

Options

Comments

• Penny-Wise_4
    Penny-Wise_4 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    How about cous cous instead of rice, potatoes or pasta? With some brands you just pour on boiling water (from kettle) and let it soak in for a few minutes - then just mix in a few chopped herbs for a bit of flavour.

How about Morocan style lamb shanks in the slow cooker (cooked with spices like cinamon and cumin) and coriander/mint mixed in with the cous cous? :drool:

I think Nigela has a recipe similar to this.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    And with Kippsy's efforts yet to come... even more!

Oh ok squeaks, no pressure then!
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • Kippsy
    Options
    The reason I asked about the toaster is because I was thinking perhaps some kind of Melba toast with Pate? Not convinced... no me neither...

I do have a list of sweets though

V simple but satisfying, homemade strawberry frozen yoghurt,
    Ice-cream with smashed malteasers on (mmmmm maltesers)
    Simple choccy sauce for ice-cream
    Strawberries marinated in balsamic vinegar
    ChocChesnut refrigerator cake

What about getting a blow torch and doing creme brulee?

Or can I just make something and put it in a jiffy bag?

oh oh oh, what about a barbie?

then you could do corn on the cob in foil, grilled potatoes.....

Oh and what about obvious things like tomato and mozzarella salad? With red oninons? Get proper Buffalo Mozzarella slice it long ways put it in a bowl, rip some fresh basil grind some freah pepper and pour over some extra virgin olive oil, leave to absorb flavour for ten mins..... drool.... want to use smilies but they aren't working.... damn computer!

Anyway, have all my fave cook <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=books&v=55">books</a&gt; by the computer let me know what you like, if any and I will get back to you!

Big cheesy grin (still no smiley)

Kippers
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No toaster, no barbie - just the things listed :) Though I do have my own home made coarse country pate! I'm very pleased with it :)

ChocChestnut might be a tempter... :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Options
    I've mentioned this book before on a different post, but once again Cooking in Bedsitter by Katherine Whitehorn could come to the rescue. She has a whole chapter on cooking for company when you have very little to cook with or money to spend on ingredients.

First course - melon or avocado. If you want to push the boat out, melon with parma ham (westphalian or Jambon de Bayonne similar but cheaper)

Main Course - Ham pot roast in the slow cooker - yum and cheap.

pudding - summer pudding made with fresh fruit and stale bread - very OS! (Fruit salad even easier but not as impressive)

Coffee - Iced Irish Coffee - can be kept cold in a flask!

This is a summer menu - and should be impressive and cheap. Yum! Can give
    you any recipes if you like the look of any of it. It has certainly given me inspiration!

Good luck, Henhog
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmm... it's getting ever more difficult to decide. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I make a Cheat's Chicken lasagne in the slow cooker and everybody ( even the picky ones) love the meal.

One layer tomatoes(chopped) with onions and garlic (done in microwave)

One layer lasagne sheets

One layer Campbells cream of chicken or mushroom or asparagus soup and

layer of chopped chicken pieces

Keep repeating layers

Abour 4 hours on high or 6 hours medium
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Kippsy
    Options
    Here you go squeaks,

will keep thinking about it though... I would be totally stumped without my oven (and toaster) as I don't have a microwave or a slow cooker! :confused:

2 tins/500g Sweetened Chesnut Puree
    175g soft unsalted butter
    300g dark choc 70% cocoa solids
    3 tbl spns dark rum

Beat puree in a bowl till smooth, add the butter and beat again to mix.
    Melt choc and alow to cool a bit then add to chesnut mix. Beat in the rum. Spoon half the mix into a 23x10 cm loaf tim lined with clingfilm, make sure it goes into all the corners then put in the rest. Wrap clingfilm over the cake so it is completely covered put it in the fridge and allow to set for at least 4 hours.
    Don't take loaf out of fridge till you want to eat it. Serve with creme fraiche or sour cream....

Sounds good and rich. Any help squeaks? :D
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting :)
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh, just thought, how about orange poached salmon? Lovely on a hot summers day:D and takes minutes to prepare too.

Pop salmon steak/fillet of choice in microwave dish with juice & rind of 1 orange & a couple of spriggs of mint, cook on medium/high for about 2 1/2 mins, pause mid way through to spoon orange juice back over top of fish. If fish is still a bit to bright in middle keep cooking for 20 seconds at a time.

Serve with lemon cous-cous
    Instant cous-cous (kind made with boiling water)
    Juice of 2 lemons & rind of one
    Corrinader
    Or just buy a packet of tescos lemon cous-cous & add boiling water & leave to fluff up for 5 mins (Sorry, I know it isn't old style but it's easily as nice as home made:o)

With asparagus (just comming into season) & mange tout...steamed/ cooked in microwave for about 6/3 mins.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure