Why fixed line/landline broadband when unlimited/high allowance mobile broadband deals available?

Options

Comments

• Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    arjaydavis wrote: »
    Given that I get good coverage of mobile providers within my home, the location issue is less of an issue. But being mobile, I do have the advantage of being able to take the service with me when on the move.

...and the above bit is the important bit.
    I live 7 miles from a southern UK city in a large village
    The mobile reception is so bad that with the phone in my pocket in the house usually it will not ring. The subsequent text to tell me I have a message waiting me does get through.
    Other villages I know of, the central part of the village has no reception from any mobile network though the outlying areas do - all due to the topography/shape of the land and the mobile Co's - all of them are doing nothing about it.
    Not surprisingly round here the landline is king
    The reality is that away from the urban areas, mobile phone coverage is patchy and relying on mobile broadband is a non starter.

I do regularly visit a holiday area place where I rely on 4G mobile for a semi-functional internet service. I say semi-functional becasue at some times you get no connection at all or no 4G connection just a non-useable H+ service... wait a bit - could be a hour or maybe two or three and hey its back.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Uxb1 wrote: »
    Other villages I know of, the central part of the village has no reception from any mobile network though the outlying areas do - all due to the topography/shape of the land and the mobile Co's - all of them are doing nothing about it.
    Not surprisingly round here the landline is king
    The reality is that away from the urban areas, mobile phone coverage is patchy and relying on mobile broadband is a non starter.

Same here in rural Hampshire. All four networks very poor/non-existent.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just trying to sort out my granddaughter in her new flat. Got her a 3 sim, couldn't even do a speed test ! EE, her current mobile, is getting 0.5 down and 0.3 up. Her boyfriend on Tesco is getting 16.7 down and 8 up but there doesn't seem to be any cheap deals with anyone using the 02 network.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mobile broadband might be fine for most people who only use the internet for browsing / youtube / emails.

But if you do any HD streaming or download large amounts of data in short periods frequently you'll be kicked off the network usually citing a breach of the FUP (fair usage policy)

I usually go through about 400GB of data per month on my home connection with most of it through on demand streaming services. A lot of fixed line broadband companies would get annoyed with that, let alone a mobile broadband provider.

The quality of a mobile broadband connection is not great either.
    If too many people are using it, it is more prone to congestion and fluctuating signals and poor latency.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Just trying to sort out my granddaughter in her new flat. Got her a 3 sim, couldn't even do a speed test ! EE, her current mobile, is getting 0.5 down and 0.3 up. Her boyfriend on Tesco is getting 16.7 down and 8 up but there doesn't seem to be any cheap deals with anyone using the 02 network.

Have you checked out Giff gaff? They are doing doubledata deals currently and they use the O2 network https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans - sorry for going off topic OP.
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a static caravan and i use vodafone 100gb data, unlimited calls and messages for £24 per mth and its brilliant, i run netflix, you tube all the catch up services and stream the football to my tv and at the same time i'm browsing the tinternet on my laptop or tab via my mobile hotspot, my neighbour on the same site has bt broadband and phone and is forever complaining about how bad it is.
  • molerat
    Options
    Tharweb wrote: »
    Have you checked out Giff gaff? They are doing doubledata deals currently and they use the O2 network https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans - sorry for going off topic OP.
    Not enough data on any of their plans.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

You don't say how much data she needs but sky's cheap enough.
  • molerat
    Options
    You don't say how much data she needs but sky's cheap enough.
    She needs the full home use amount so it looks like landline is the only viable option so will get hit with a £50 install charge and longish fixed term, that is what she was hoping to avoid being in rented. The 3 deal was ideal as she could pick it up and take it with her. She is going to check the 3 SIM outside to see if an an external aerial would make it workable. Will probably go to Sky for mobile.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    She needs the full home use amount so it looks like landline is the only viable option so will get hit with a £50 install charge and longish fixed term, that is what she was hoping to avoid being in rented. The 3 deal was ideal as she could pick it up and take it with her. She is going to check the 3 SIM outside to see if an an external aerial would make it workable. Will probably go to Sky for mobile.

£50 install?

Sky & NowTV at least are happy to move the BB with no charge or extended contract which should mitigate any concerns over future moves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure