Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Jan 19, 3:24 PM
    • 1,666Posts
    • 1,063Thanks
    RG2015
    Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.
    • 8th Jan 19, 3:24 PM
    Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details. 8th Jan 19 at 3:24 PM
    In the last week HMRC have added full details of my interest received in my online personal tax account. Previously they had just shown the one figure that I had reported to them as my total untaxed interest income for the 2017/18 tax year.

This amount has shown for a few months as the estimate for 2018/19 and is now showing the individual details for 11 of my savings accounts. Only one bank is missing and the amount for this one is a balancing figure to get back to my annual amount rounded down to the nearest pound.

Clearly my banks have reported my interest received to HMRC and with the one exception noted above every account is correct to the penny. Just for information the missing bank is Virgin Money and the figure for this bank and the rounding is classified as follows which incidentally is the narrative that was previously used for the single total figure.

DUMMY ACCOUNT
    ****$$$$
    00-00-00

After hearing accounts of HMRC reporting incorrect figures I am pleasantly surprised to find that their figures are 100% accurate for 11 of my 12 accounts.

Edited to give details of how to access interest received details within the HMRC personal tax account online as requested by veryIntrigued on Sunday 24th February 2019.

The personal tax account can be accessed via the Government Gateway or the Gov.uk Verify portals as per the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

Once in click on the PAYE block and then click on check current tax year. You should then see a heading for your income from other sources with a sub section for untaxed interest income with a single figure. Below this is a link to view details. Click here and you will see a page with information on interest earned from your accounts.

Finally, at the foot of this page there is a link to check your account details and estimated interest.

Here is where I can see every savings account with individual amounts earned in the previous tax year, in this case 2017/2018.

Good luck, and if HMRC have not received and information from the banks I assume that these options will not be there for you.
    Last edited by RG2015; 24-02-2019 at 5:06 PM.
Page 15
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 4th Apr 19, 11:13 AM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    RG2015
    HMRC definitely know about all of my savings interest because the total figures are shown under "Your detailed PAYE Income Tax estimate" but I can't get to the breakdown by individual account.

I have an "income from employment" section, but there is no "income from other sources" section.

On the right-hand side of the screen, under "Annual amounts" I can click on "what makes up your tax free amount" or "how your income tax is calculated" and both of these summaries include savings interest, and tax paid thereon, but I can't find the detailed breakdown.

Am I looking in the wrong places?
    Originally posted by Fingerbobs
    It has changed and is now difficult to access. You need to log in to your personal tax account online and then follow the link below. Towards the foot of this page is a link to the details.

It is mad but it does work.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 4th Apr 19, 11:19 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    It has changed and is now difficult to access. You need to log in to your personal tax account online and then follow the link below. Towards the foot of this page is a link to the details.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings
    Originally posted by RG2015

That link worked! Many thanks :-)
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 22nd Apr 19, 4:35 AM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 2,375 Thanks
    veryintrigued

Thanks from me too.

I would never have found this!
    • Aidanmc
    • By Aidanmc 22nd Apr 19, 11:07 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Aidanmc
    I can't see the interest amounts when i log into Gov Gateway.......
    I dont have a tax code as such as im self employed and not PAYE.
    When i click the PAYE box and then 'current tax year' I just get a figure for 'Non Coded Income'?
    • d63
    • By d63 22nd Apr 19, 1:52 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    d63
    I can't see the interest amounts when i log into Gov Gateway.......
    I dont have a tax code as such as im self employed and not PAYE.
    When i click the PAYE box and then 'current tax year' I just get a figure for 'Non Coded Income'?
    Originally posted by Aidanmc
    me too! and i do have a PAYE code (on account of my pension.)
    i have a sneaking suspicion however it is perhaps just as well i cannot see the interest amounts since several people here have reported that the figures do not always match up too well with the actual amounts, and then one would be faced with the dilemma of what to do if there were a discrepancy -- inform HMRC, or not?
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 22nd Apr 19, 2:56 PM
    • 3,843 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    glider3560
    I've never been able to see interest details on my account. The link above gives an error.

When I contacted HMRC online support, they told me to contact the income tax helpline. Contacted them, they confirmed my account is set up correctly and told me to go back to online support. Online support then told me my account is not set up correctly and go back to income tax helpline. Crazy.

I also did a subject access request recently (for some other reason). They was absolutely nothing about bank or building society interest, except the amounts I had declared on self assessment. I do wonder whether HMRC don't actually have the full interest details for the entire population, and instead just check against a sample?

• polymaff
    • By polymaff 22nd Apr 19, 2:59 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    polymaff
    me too! and i do have a PAYE code (on account of my pension.)
    i have a sneaking suspicion however it is perhaps just as well i cannot see the interest amounts since several people here have reported that the figures do not always match up too well with the actual amounts, and then one would be faced with the dilemma of what to do if there were a discrepancy -- inform HMRC, or not?
    Originally posted by d63
    Similar here - no details at all, other than the absurd suggestion that they owe me a substantial amount of tax back on my savings income, (Think about that, income that is now paid gross. How could there be anything owed back to me !)

As for your final question - ignore the PTA and inform HMRC by completing a Self Assessment. Far less time-consuming than trying to make broken HMRC PTA software work. You also retain some control over whether they plunder you via any PAYE code you have.
    • Aidanmc
    • By Aidanmc 22nd Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Aidanmc
    I also did a subject access request recently (for some other reason). They was absolutely nothing about bank or building society interest, except the amounts I had declared on self assessment. I do wonder whether HMRC don't actually have the full interest details for the entire population, and instead just check against a sample?
    Originally posted by glider3560
    What is a subject access request?
    • schiff
    • By schiff 22nd Apr 19, 4:22 PM
    • 18,642 Posts
    • 10,037 Thanks
    schiff
    As you say

The most fruitful session I've spent on it so far. It's left me with some queries.

The figures are claimed to be, and substantially are, the actual for 2017/18. As the figures are also for 2019/20 coding purposes if I remove or amend one or more - in order to get 2017-18 correct - will my action amend the 2017-18 taxed figure? Or just make them change the 2019/20 guess - which of course could bear little comparison to 2017/18, though it has to make do for now.

I see that the interim interest (11/3 and 31/10 for Virgin, and also for Nottingham BS) has been listed even though the accounts hadn't matured as at 6/4/18. So I'm back to the question that I know has been asked before - in what tax year exactly is credited interest for an ongoing open account taxable?

Though in a way it's as broad as it's long if you are over £1000 in both years.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 22nd Apr 19, 4:25 PM
    • 3,843 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    glider3560
    What is a subject access request?
    Originally posted by Aidanmc
    It's when you request all the data someone holds on you: https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-of-access/

• polymaff
    • By polymaff 22nd Apr 19, 4:54 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    polymaff
    in what tax year exactly is credited interest for an ongoing open account taxable?
    Originally posted by schiff

ITTOIA05/S370 provides that tax is charged on the full amount of interest arising in the tax year

Interest ‘arises’ when it is received or made available to the recipient. Interest has been made available if it is credited to an account on which the account holder is free to draw.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/savings-and-investment-manual/saim2440

EDIT: RG2015, do you think I should email a link to this to NS&I?...
    Last edited by polymaff; 22-04-2019 at 5:01 PM.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 22nd Apr 19, 5:20 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    RG2015
    ITTOIA05/S370 provides that tax is charged on the full amount of interest arising in the tax year

Interest Ďarisesí when it is received or made available to the recipient. Interest has been made available if it is credited to an account on which the account holder is free to draw.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/savings-and-investment-manual/saim2440

EDIT: RG2015, do you think I should email a link to this to NS&I?...
    Originally posted by polymaff
    Have I missed something here re the NS&I reference?

Perhaps you could provide an explanation or some links to give this some context.

PS: Thanks for the HMRC link which I have saved for future reference.
    Last edited by RG2015; 22-04-2019 at 5:33 PM.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 22nd Apr 19, 5:51 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    polymaff
    Have I missed something here re the NS&I reference?

Perhaps you could provide an explanation or some links to give this some context.
    Only a fortnight you doubted then thanked this:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75685466&postcount=8

A prime case of an institution not understanding the issue schiff was asking about.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 22nd Apr 19, 6:00 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    polymaff
    ... and the reason why MTD, of which the PTA is part, will inevitably fail.

The quality a process delivers will always be no better than the quality of the data it depends upon - and here is NS&I reporting, to HMRC, 2019/20 interest as 2018/19 interest.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 22nd Apr 19, 6:06 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    RG2015
    Only a fortnight you doubted then thanked this:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75685466&postcount=8

A prime case of an institution not understanding the issue schiff was asking about.
    Originally posted by polymaff
    Yes, I get this but why are you bringing me into this debate?

You have an issue with NS&I but I don't.
    • drlabman
    • By drlabman 23rd Apr 19, 12:00 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    drlabman
    Loving the latest version of the iOS HMRC app. It's estimated my 2019-2020 income as £38,000-ish with almost £5,000 tax. I didn't work in 2018-2019, so I don't know where they've got this estimate from.
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and youíll get rid of him every weekend.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 23rd Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    polymaff
    Loving the latest version of the iOS HMRC app. It's estimated my 2019-2020 income as £38,000-ish with almost £5,000 tax. I didn't work in 2018-2019, so I don't know where they've got this estimate from.
    Originally posted by drlabman

I can top that. A £48k occupational pension that is a complete fiction. As is likely with imaginary income, there is no associated PAYE activity and so a shed-load - or two - of tax is due. I've managed to catch HMRC in a relatively sober state and got them to delete the pension. Now all they have to do is to delete the imaginary tax liability..
    Last edited by polymaff; 23-04-2019 at 6:17 PM.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 23rd Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    youngretired
    I've not worked since 2011 and have never had anything under my personal tax account.

When I looked at my account last week to see the progress of my R40, I had a PAYE section and when I clicked on it, it was using my last employer as my estimated income for 19-20 and estimated that I would earn £18000 and owe tax. The funny thing is that when you click on the employer details, it actually states the last date employed by them was January 2011.

I contacted HMRC via live chat and was told to complete "something not correct" and I am still waiting to hear from them 6 working days later.
    • AlwaysLearnin
    • By AlwaysLearnin 23rd Apr 19, 9:18 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    AlwaysLearnin
    Originally posted by drlabman
    Again our circumstances/experiences are similar. On the plus side, as I now have a PAYE section on my online PTA, I can at least now see the recorded interest (and breakdown) using the previously quoted link .

I think I'll leave this income estimate issue a few weeks to see how it pans out before contacting them, as there seem to have been a few little changes over the last couple of weeks/months so I guess they're still tweaking it in the background....
    • Fella
    • By Fella 7th Aug 19, 6:42 AM
    • 7,618 Posts
    • 8,960 Thanks
    Fella

Sorry, there is a problem with the service
    Try again later

Has this stopped working now or is it just flakey?

Ta
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,849Posts Today

7,080Users online

Martin's Twitter