Help for Hearing Impairment

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    I can't afford most of the RNID and Connevans kit and there are things that would be useful.
    If it's a personal listener you are after, did you look at the RNID's Sonido? Only just over £60 if you don't have to pay the VAT. Currently out of stock, I hope they are bringing it back again. Having lost my hearing aid :o I am thinking I can probably 'get by' with one of these ... until I have to confess!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    ... Having lost my hearing aid :o I am thinking I can probably 'get by' with one of these ... until I have to confess!

lost your hearing aid? :naughty: the audiologist gave me a real telling off when I mentioned that I was buying hearing aid batteries (its part of your prescription!) so I'd be real scared if I had to confess to losing my hearing aid :D

Thanks for the info re Sonido, I'll check it out. ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know, I'm going to be in deep mire ... I'm not sure if it's worse to just 'lose' it, or let the dog chew it. :confused: Not that I have a dog.

It's not even as if it came off when I took my jumper off: someone in my lipreading class had lost two that way! He thinks they came off on a plane, and he didn't realise until he was OFF the plane and they wouldn't let him go back on to look for them.

It just jumped out of my pocket in its box and vanished!

I keep hoping it will turn up under the settee or something like that. Probably when I'm looking for something else.

Of course, the moral of this story is MAKE SURE YOU PUT YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS IN YOUR HEARING AID BOX (pardon me for shouting). Ideally, put your postcode on the hearing aid itself! I kept thinking I should do that ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Options
    got all my aids free through the local hearing dept at the hospital, docs referral of course, and equipment all free through the social services who deal with deaf people. special door bell that vibrates on the belt, really loud clanger for the phone, . although i have to say that the only thing that works instead of an alarm clock for me, is to put the mobile phone on vibrate and put it under my pillow!!!
  • sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Options
    and yes the batteries are free as well. from the audiology clinic or your docs surgery.xxx

has anyone applied rfor DLA because of hearing troubles?? took a while but i got it although for some reason they dont seem to include deafness as a disability, along side other disabilites. really had to fight for it but thanks to the CAB, they had to pay.
  • lozzer90
    lozzer90 Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Options
    and yes the batteries are free as well. from the audiology clinic or your docs surgery.xxx

has anyone applied rfor DLA because of hearing troubles?? took a while but i got it although for some reason they dont seem to include deafness as a disability, along side other disabilites. really had to fight for it but thanks to the CAB, they had to pay.

I couldnt get DLA for my hearing loss, but got it for my other disabilites, dont know why they dont count hearing loss as a disability i only lost my 4years ago due to a freak accident
    Start every day with a smile and get it over with. :D

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lozzer90 wrote: »
    I couldnt get DLA for my hearing loss, but got it for my other disabilites, dont know why they dont count hearing loss as a disability i only lost my 4years ago due to a freak accident

I lost my hearing about 8 years ago because of a viral infection; its a big adjustment and I still have moments of frustration and anger ( tears when I couldn't hear last night of the proms ).

I don't think I'd get DLA but I may look into it. It would help to buy equipment that would make life easier.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • altocumulus
    Options
    i'm always amazed at how much some of things we need cost!!!

yes, some are available from 'free' sources, but not always suitable...
  • GotNoRhythm
    Options
    I agree with altocumulus - some of the stuff is so expensive! Definitiely worth asking about to see if you can get funding or help towards it!
    Does anyone know if I can get free batteries for my hearing aids funded through access to work? Do the NHS only supply certain types of battery? Mine are the tiny 10ZA size.
    I must admit, I have let my NHS audiology appointments lapse (I haven't been for a few years as I've been going to my hearing aid supplier instead - naughty, I know!) I just wondered if it would be worth asking, as I really should have regular appointments again!
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1070
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • GotNoRhythm
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »

the 60's ....... oh yes, I was there - even if I cant remember much of it :D
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I'm a 70's babe - I'll admit to flares and tank-tops - oh, and an 80's poodle perm... thankfully I've left those years behind me now!
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1070
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family