Amex BASIC: 9/10 chances of accepting?

Options

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rpg481 wrote: »
    The only reason why I was asking is because a month ago, I tried applying for a platinum card, before that I used the AMEX elegibility check which gave me a 8/10 chance, so I thought why not give it a go and I got denied.

Then I was thinking to myself is AMEX checking tool even accurate, so I tried using Experian Credit Card Search and WOW the chances were so much different 4/10.

So if anyone is trying to apply for a AMEX card, I would highly recommend not using the AMEX elegibility check.

So Experian, who don't lend money, know better than the lender themselves how likely they are to lend to you?

You had an 8/10 chance of being accepted, or to put it another way, 2 in 10 people with data similar to yours are declined. You were one of the two. It hardly makes the AMEX checker "inaccurate."
  • rpg481
    Options
    When I found out that I had a 8/10 chance, I already had an expectation that there might be a chance I could be rejected.

I just wished more companies would just give a simple Yes or No answer while using eligibility checkers.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I found out that I had a 8/10 chance, I already had an expectation that there might be a chance I could be rejected.

I just wished more companies would just give a simple Yes or No answer while using eligibility checkers.

They can't give a yes or no answer because they haven't performed a full credit check.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

You fell into the 2/10 category that didn't qualify for the card for whatever reason.

Besides, you tried the Experian checker AFTER applying for the Amex card.
  • rpg481
    Options
    Oh well, it doesn't really matter now I will wait for six months and try another provider.
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    My reply was to the person asking a year and a half if someone was accepted or not.

However, in light of your comment, I use my Amex cards everyday and it's rare I don't find a retailer that takes it.

Even pop-up shops/stalls, market stalls, and the coffee van that comes round to our office takes Amex.

Hear hear. AMEX really is the marmite of cards on this board but the 1.25% that the platinum cashback card offers is a clear market leader, assuming you spend a reasonable amount, pay it off, and have a backup for anyone that doesn't take it (plus overseas spending) - I've got John Lewis and Nationwide for that purpose (JL being great for currency in their shops too).

Horses for courses but 80-90% of my UK spend goes on Amex, and it will be close to £1k of free money out of them this year. Why on earth not...?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    ratechaser wrote: »
    Hear hear. AMEX really is the marmite of cards on this board but the 1.25% that the platinum cashback card offers is a clear market leader, assuming you spend a reasonable amount, pay it off, and have a backup for anyone that doesn't take it (plus overseas spending) - I've got John Lewis and Nationwide for that purpose (JL being great for currency in their shops too).

Horses for courses but 80-90% of my UK spend goes on Amex, and it will be close to £1k of free money out of them this year. Why on earth not...?

Yes thats fine for you but most people won't be spending £80,000+ on their card in a year.
  • It’s not just made up of card spend.

It’s also the Amex Offers such as £XXX back on a £XXX spend and so on.

You can easily rack up rewards and cashback from these alone.
  • deedee1310
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm on a journey of rebuilding my credit file.
    I currently have a Barclaycard initial and have managed it well for over a year. I want to apply for the American Express Basic in order to pay for petrol & work expenses every month, and of course as it's a charge card, repay in full every month.
    American express's eligibility calculator states 9/10 chances of being accepted.
    1. Should I risk a hard search with the possibility of being rejected??
    2. Anyone else being accepted / rejected based on 9/10 on the eligibility calculator?

Thanks.

Congratulations on your journey. I'm on the same one and have a year to go before everything is finally normal.

I too used the Amex Eligibility checker and got a 9/10 for the Basic Card. I was a 6/10 for the BA Amex Credit Card. I applied for that one as I wanted the chance to earn Avios points. It was referred but I called yesterday and was told that the card was on its way with a £1K limit.

I'm happy as I didn't think I'd get it - I've been rejected before but my last application was in 2017. Not sure what your credit history and or income is but I have three defaults that fall off in Mar 2020, July 2020 and Nov 2020 and earn £45K plus.

I'm looking at the Platinum Cashback in 2021, once I've established some history with them and after we have re-mortgaged.

Let us know what you decide to do and the outcome.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    How much do you intend to spend each month on this £1K limit BA avios card?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure