PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MoneyMission
    Options
    Hello.

Can I join in please? Can you put me down for £370.00 for 1st Jan to 31st Jan. This is breakfast, lunch and dinner for myself and 2 little people 7 days a week, and just breakfast and dinner for OH as he gets fed at work each week day (I do give him lunch at the weekend too!!!).

Thank you.
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £2,420 / £2,420 - 100% :T
  • Hayze1980
    Options
    Could I join in please? I quietly had a go at this last year, with varying degrees of success, but I really need to get a handle on my spending this year. Could you put me down for £200 for January. That's 2 adults, 2 teens and a dog. Last year I was averaging £250, so £200 should be do-able.
    £66.77/£240 Grocery Challenge
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SueP19 wrote: »
    Can you send him to give mine some lessons, OH seems to think that brand names are a show of wealth :mad: I keep trying to tell him its the wealthy who penny pinch but he just gives me a withering look :rotfl:
    My uncle is a millionaire many, many times over. He and his wife waste NOTHING, they buy NOTHING that they don't need (brands), they spend not ONE penny more than they need to (and EVERY one is accounted for) and they've been wearing the same clothes for as long as I can remember - ones that were once black are now washed out grey. Their furniture is not replaced every few years either - it's been there almost as long as me and, in the case of some pieces, longer! :D

The pseudo-rich, the people who are for show are the ones that care about brands and have designer this and that splattered all over the place but the real rich don't care what people think about them, they already know they're loaded. And they didn't get there by spending a fortune on unnecessary 'stuff' ;)
    Post 268 - budgets done to here

Helen
    Eek! that means that it's really on then :eek: :D

Reporting a spend of £12.85 on the grocery front.

My munchkin has a frube every day in her packed lunch at school - it's easier than sending a tub and a spoon. They're 2 for £3.50 in Tesco and Sainsburys :undecided but £1/pack in Asda. I got 10 packs :)

I also got 3 x mozzarella balls for 90p, low fat natural yoghurt for 55p, 3 pack of courgettes for 90p and munchkin put a pack of 'sparagus' which will do for breakfast tomorrow into the basket as well, so another 50p.

Aaand, I found the blender I wanted - well a lesser package, but it still comes with the masher - on Tesco. This version was £29.97 and then I found I had cc vouchers still to play with. I ended up paying £6.97 and then had cashback on that as well :j

So total of £19.82/£2000
  • Gorgeestwo
    Options
    tracey12 wrote: »

I had some carrots to use up so made some carrot and lentil soup for tea which was yummy, filling and cheap.

Carrot and lentil soup

1 chopped onion
    5 carrots, peeled and sliced
    4oz red lentils
    1 tin tomatoes
    2 pints of veg stock
    2 cloves of garlic

Cook onion in a pan until soft, add sliced carrots, veg stock, red lentils and garlic. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. By this time carrots should be soft and lentils have swelled. Add tinned tomatoes and heat through and then either use a blender or hand held blender until smooth. Check seasoning and serve.

If you like your soup very thick you can add extra lentils.

There was plenty for tea and then I froze two batches as well.

Tracey

Will definitely give this a go thank you :) I'd like to use more lentils in cooking, but am a little bit scared of them :rotfl:so think this will be an easy way to get started :)
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gorgeestwo, lentils are a Godsend! I put them into any kind of mushy mix, eg shepherds pie or bolognese sauce, they disappear in about 30 mins and NOBODY including my fussy kids knows they are there, haha! They thicken a sauce and add protein and they're cheap. What's not to like ;) ?
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Hello everyone, Hope everyne had a good Xmas and Happy New Year for when it comes :D x

Thank you for adding me to the list :)
  • Kylieminoag
    Options
    Am humming and hawing about whether to spend some of this months budget on a bread maker. Please can anyone offer me any advice? The family get through a full sliced loaf every other day. What would be most economical?

DFWNerd 1417
    MFW by 2018 Jan 2012 £186,000 :eek: Sept 2015 £50,000
  • jedi82
    jedi82 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    Did first weekly shop today and spent £102 but this did include washing powder etc and the cupboards were bare (went away for xmas). Still confident to stay on track this month.

Am actually pleased with myself for making all meals from scratch today using up leftovers in the fridge and whoopsied pork mince (made meatballs and ven got some left over for DHs sandwich tomorrow!)

Cheers, jedi x
    Finally getting my life on track. Onwards and upwards.
    BSC No 327
    GC Jan £336.91/£450
    GC Feb £0/£400
  • jo101_2
    jo101_2 Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I would like to join please as I really need to get my act together. I am mainly shopping at Aldi this month so I am hoping to stick to £250 for the month for 2 adults and 3 kids.

JO
    Starting with a clean slate.

August grocery challenge - £250
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Smallish spend in the Co Op & Mr T today on half price wine, strawberries, quiche & salad.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure