Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

January 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 29

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.2K views

Replies

• I;m still not including food for the furry critters in this as its just too scary:eek: any suggestions as to how to ween a cat off Royal Canin biscuits?

Have you tried to mix it with another type of biscuit, even if you just start with 100g of another dry food with 900g of Royal Canin, he/she might look at a bit funny for a meal (or two) but will soon realise thats all thats on offer. Then you can try and slowly (50g or 100g) at a time start to increase the cheaper food. Only advice when choosing a cheaper food is try and find a similar flavour (for the smell).

Hope it helps.

E x
    Jan GC £242.38/£250
    Feb GC £147.57 /£240
    2012 Clothes Challenge £97.50/£500
    Repay £5K in 2012 £254.17/£5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
  • I had a small grocery spend today of £2.00 for popcorn at the cinema. Our local cinema had a kids club today so it was only £1.50 each to get in and see Happy Feet 2, kids enjoyed it :D

I had some carrots to use up so made some carrot and lentil soup for tea which was yummy, filling and cheap.

Carrot and lentil soup

1 chopped onion
    5 carrots, peeled and sliced
    4oz red lentils
    1 tin tomatoes
    2 pints of veg stock
    2 cloves of garlic

Cook onion in a pan until soft, add sliced carrots, veg stock, red lentils and garlic. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. By this time carrots should be soft and lentils have swelled. Add tinned tomatoes and heat through and then either use a blender or hand held blender until smooth. Check seasoning and serve.

If you like your soup very thick you can add extra lentils.

There was plenty for tea and then I froze two batches as well.

Tracey
    Officially debt free :j
  • Greying_PilgrimGreying_Pilgrim Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys, £12.71 of the jan budget spent today - a bit early, but all on either whoopsies or well priced 'stuff'. Including half price (4kg) box of clothes washing powder from the c0*p for £3.50, whoopsied Brazil nuts from W*itrose at £1.29 for 400g BB Apr 2012 and some of the BrAnston baked beans from L!dl at £1 for 4 tins (thanks to the posters that mentioned that deal). And some whoopsied apples for £1.

I also got 2 500g tubs of Flora original for £2 from Mr T's BB17/3/12 - compare that with our local discounter SM that still wants £1.99 for a kilo tub of same BB 24/12/11!!! I know the spread doesn't know it's out of date, but if you can have 'in date' for virtually the same price as outta date, which ya gonna buy?? :)

Also, 'laugh' of day provided by W*itrose. President unsalted butter 250g has been £1.17 in there for a while. Whilst in Mr T's today, noticed that they charged, £1.21 for same. Smug I thought, gosh, even dearer than Mr W's. When I wafted through Mr W's later on, I noticed they were promoting their 'Price Match' with Mr t's on President butter and had raised the price to £1.21!! Guess where the butter stayed?

Have updated siggie, and hope to have nsd or 3 into jan now :)

Greying
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
  • carolinerunnercarolinerunner Forumite
    620 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    back on this thread after a long absence, lack of income means we must spend less and (luckily, in a way) as we spend a lot, that shouldn't be too hard, though that might be optimistic... am looking forward to all the great support on this thread.

Just been on my supermarket, set off armed with info about cost of stuff we buy regularly and thought I'd just check at my local Co-*p first - only to find it's cheaper than the big 4 on Heinz beans and Nouvelle loo rolls, hurrah! Also got about £5 worth of whoopsied veg including bags of carrots, 750g, at 15p. :T

But I realise it's not getting stuff cheaper but getting less stuff that's going to make the difference. The cat food and the wine may be the biggest challenges (cat has sharp claws and is persistent when hungry...) :eek:
    Erratically money saving
  • I;m still not including food for the furry critters in this as its just too scary:eek: any suggestions as to how to ween a cat off Royal Canin biscuits?

How much is it costing you Bunny?

I've managed to get my cost (also only feed Royal Canin) from £8.50 / cat / month down to £3.50 / cat / month - by bulk buying when on offer.

This works out cheaper than I could get food from the sm for.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya All,

Did the link for this get posted on the December thread? I must have had my sunglasses on that day!!!

Please Helen put me down for £240 for January.

Gotta run got visitors. See you all tomorrow.

All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • KittenkirstKittenkirst Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We'd like to join for Jan, I usually try to do it from the 15th (pay day) but due to a change in my work voucher scheme we'll be getting £110 sainsburys vouchers a month which cant be used on petrol. So our grocery shopping will now all be done in Mr S's but will only use vouchers. So my aim for Jan is £110 Thats for 2 of us but will need to include lunches (we're getting better at this but def still room for improvement :0)
    2020 Overpayments: £300.25 / £520 58%. £10 a week overpayment challenge!

Mort- Oct16 £170.995 (end Nov 2041) Apr20 £141,644.76

Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40 2018 £4500 2019 £2858
    Referral codes= Prolific- 8JXN5BVG shopmium- ACEAHKFA Shoppix- 57VB13QH
  • Hi

Can I join please?

2 adults & 3 kids pls - no pets. Includes all cleaning, food and housholdy type things...

£300 for January.

I am going food shopping tomorrow so will starrt from tomorrow. Will be paying cash, keeping all receipts and noting in spending diary, as well as meal planning. We're doing low carbs froom 1st jan, so will also stock up on chicken, fish & veg....

Here we go!
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    just posted on the wrong challenge what a muppet.....nearly got the budget sorted for next year which is pleasing

have a happy new year

tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • Small spend today(still in December budget). bought 4 large bottles of milk(2 litre ones) for 50p each. Was going to make massive rice pudding(4 pinter)but ran out of rice. However I found a bag of semolina in the cupboard so used that-just like school dinners! ;)It was nice with homemade raspberry and cherry jam though!:p
    Went to the High Street and booked 2 financial reviews with 2 different banks to refresh my finances for 2012. Spent an hour or two on a new spreadsheet for my budgets and another for savings. They WILL balance! A little jiggle around does wonders so if you have the good fortune to have any savings do check the interest rates as some are just a quarter of a per cent. Make it your mission and put it in a one year bond-that year flies by! I feel very content tonight with a good days work checking things out/making comparisons and doing some research. Just need to get my online banking unlocked now and check my credit cards/print off the statements-I forget about them as I settle in full by DD every month.:D
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults