Bank cancelled my card by accident & want to negotiate Compensation?

Options

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You have suffered no financial loss. £50 is a fair offer.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • debbie_t84
    Options
    You won't be getting any "compensation" for losing your own card I'm afraid.

You may get a goodwill payment for the Bank teller's incompetence, however.

You have no legal right to demand a specific figure, though, especially as you have suffered no quantifiable loss...

I did not loose my card.
    My partner lost his, we cancelled it and asked to transfer money from his account to mine. I went to pay for said item and she had cancelled mine also.
    Still awaiting gift arrival, unable to take an additional shift today as waiting on said parcel, daughters birthday ruined nevermind having to sort all my online stuff when the card rocks up.

She had a starting offer of £50 but I was in not best placed to discuss it at that time.
  • debbie_t84
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Op why didn't you simply buy on a credit card and avoid all the Drama ?
    Don't have one.
  • debbie_t84
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    You have suffered no financial loss. £50 is a fair offer.

Actually planned on picking a shift up today but cannot as waiting on parcel. It's more of the emotional distress caused to my daughters birthday being ruined.
  • debbie_t84
    Options
    The moral of the story - don't buy your daughters birthday present at the last minute.

Or be thankful your partner started a new job and got paid in time for this occasion. Unfortunately human error rears its ugly face.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 October 2019 at 12:23PM
    Options
    debbie_t84 wrote: »
    Don't have one.

Well then get one for cashback, additional purchase protection, ability to earn instead of wait for parcel, catering for times when you lose or misplace your bank card.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Actually planned on picking a shift up today but cannot as waiting on parcel. It's more of the emotional distress caused to my daughters birthday being ruined.

:eek: We just hit 11 on the Drama-O-Meter
  • Davy_Jones_II
    Options
    Thanks for the update, it paints a better picture so I’ll add to my earlier thoughts.

Little Veruca having her birthday ruined is beyond the pale. I’d ask for an iPad too, and for the member of staff who ruined everything to be forced to cut off her own finger and offer it to you as a sign of her contrition.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 October 2019 at 9:56PM
    Options
    Unfortunately human error rears its ugly face.
    I see only the "ugly face" of our compensation culture I'm afraid :(
    She had a starting offer of £50
    It's not a "starting" offer at all, it's simply a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience caused. You can't seriously expect to quantify your losses as
    "stress, running around, panic...all the farting about online upset with paying bills, wasted anger and energy"

but I'm certain you'll be back later to "prove" me wrong ;)
    Negotiated a good amount.
    Surprise surprise.:eek:
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options

There shouldnt be any emotional distress , !!!! happens and if thats the worst that happens to your daughter she will have a great life.

Ps my birthday was in Aug, my son got me my present last week :eek:

thanks for rewriting your OP , ,if you want more than £50 ask for it and see what they say,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure