shock horror laptop almost failed

Options
my old trusty inspiron 1720 stopped working mid session then on re boot said it could not find desktop.
Left it for 30 minutes and it has restarted ok, have just copied all my saved passwords (been meaning to do that for months).
It has been very good, new 1 tb hard drive fitted four years ago when I changed to windows 7 from vista, it has an excellent 17" high def screen and so good I had been thinking of changing to windows 10 but after this it will be a new or recon computer, this was a Dell second on ebay about 10 years ago so quite happy to go that route again.
OK main question, not a lot of spare cash as now on pension and some car bills looming, just used for basic surfing but do like a good screen at least a 15".
Any ideas welcome

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Looking forward, ideally one looks for a Full HD IPS screen and the ability to boot from PCIe SSD.
    Of course it all depends on your budget.

If it is to be a static device, you can get much bigger Full HD screen with PCs and All In Ones.

How much would you like to spend? Don't spend more than you can afford. There will always be something usable within your budget.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 14 September 2019 at 7:15PM
    Options
    I used to have one of these, built like a tank, heavy as a bag of bricks, and thicker than an anti-vaxxer :)

If you were happy with the performance of the 1720 then to be frank anything produced within the last 5 years will be as fast, so focus on build quality, screen, that kind of thing.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your browser is Firefox, passwords are accessible from Tools-Options - Privacy and security - Logins and Passwords - Saved Logins - Show Passwords.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • indianabones
    Options
    Honestly if all you're doing is surfing, anything will work. Begs the question if you need a laptop/notebook at all because you could use a tablet for browsing the net as well.

But if you do decide to go for a laptop, I'd go for something in the 200-220 ball park and I'd go new rather than 2nd hand for that price. I'm in IT and this is one of the areas I work in. I would recommend Lenovo right now. The build quality, the testing, the reliability and the value for money is the best on the market.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Honestly if all you're doing is surfing, anything will work. Begs the question if you need a laptop/notebook at all because you could use a tablet for browsing the net as well.

But if you do decide to go for a laptop, I'd go for something in the 200-220 ball park and I'd go new rather than 2nd hand for that price. I'm in IT and this is one of the areas I work in. I would recommend Lenovo right now. The build quality, the testing, the reliability and the value for money is the best on the market.

Oh no...not someone else who works "in IT" :eek:

Perhaps you can link to a few devices, for £200 to £220, that you would recommend.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Perhaps you can link to a few devices, for £200 to £220, that you would recommend.

I too doubt anything new in the £200 to £220 range is worth while.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    I would buy 5 if they're any good I used to work in IT and am prepared to have my gob smacked
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe op's machine just needs a good hoovering out.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    ideally one looks for a Full HD IPS screen

Well..., where as with Full HD I would agree (unless something ridiculously small, and even then it's a nicety). IPS? Maybe depends on needs there are advantages and diadvantages to all the screen displays. Which one you go for is not so simple. but feel free to keep generalising with no clarification.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I too doubt anything new in the £200 to £220 range is worth while.

No reason for new and crap over second hand and far better is there?

Some people seem to have issues there but they are not founded.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure