Best Free VPN to Install on Amazon Fire Stick

Is there a good free VPN to install on Amazon Fire Stick. I really don't want to pay a monthly subscription unless it it is imperative . I just want some protection. Tunnel Bear has been mentioned to me. Is this OK or are there other recommendations

Comments

• dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Protection from who?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Protection from who?
    Probably Hollywood studios trying to find people streaming copyrighted films.

Always intrigued the MSE, a site which claims Copyright on its content allows discussion of topics like this to continue,
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You don't need a VPN to be able to share movies etc. Never understood the need to use one
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Perhaps so the bad guys cannot change the channel on your tv
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    A VPN could slow down your download data rate, which might be critical if you are only on ADSL2+ rather than fibre.

As well said above, a VPN is not an answer to all known security problems - why do you think you actually need a VPN?
  • PaulPonting
    PaulPonting Posts: 63 Forumite
    edited 20 December 2018 at 12:50PM
    I wish put one add on for a specific TV programme, which is not available to me at present, to my Amazon Fire stick for around 2 to 3 hours a week , so a limited VPN should hide my identity. I have heard that possibly Tunnel Bear or Cyber Ghost which are limited edition but free could meet my needs. It would appear the Tunnel Bear offer 500mb free per month. How much time viewing would time would this be. Any advise on this subject will be appreciated.
  • I wish put one add on to my Amazon Fire stick for a very occasional use, so a limited VPN should hide my identity. I have heard that possibly Tunnel Bear or Cyber Ghost which are limited edition but free could meet my needs. I do not know if that is true. Any advise on this subject will be appreciated.
    Your identity will be hidden anyway, TCP/IP packets do not contain your name and postal address.

Someone who received data from you could only obtain your identity by making an application to a court known as a Norwich Pharmacal order against your ISP, and to do that they would have to present evidence that there was a probability of the ISP being an innocent third party having data that was actionable.

Now, why do you want a VPN?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Looks like the OP wants a VPN for geolocation spoofing.

500MB will not get you much streaming video at all. 30 minutes if you're lucky. (I'm sure someone will be along soon with the calculations of stream quality/bit-rate versus data usage). ;)
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Now, why do you want a VPN?
    Why do you care? Are you a member of the internet thought police?
  • Chino wrote: »
    Why do you care? Are you a member of the internet thought police?
    Because I won't help someone circumvent intellectual property rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure