free wood how far would you drive for it??

Options
Just wondering what others opinions on this ?? I always keep a eye out for free wood as I'm luckly to have the space to store it. This lot was 12 miles away took 20 mins. It was on the way back to collect another bargin that I got off Facebook! ! I was told that's too far just for wood. I've nearly filled up the outside side cardboard with it and there's more lefted if I want it.

It's old horse fencing posts etc.

Thanks
1 /10 nsd 😀

Comments

• Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Think that's Ok if it's quality burning wood AND you were already passing. Could be considered a bargain in that case.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has it been treated? Depending on what it's been treated with, then it could generate nasty carcinogens when burnt, as well as damage your liner.
  • berries
    berries Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Annie35 wrote: »
    Think that's Ok if it's quality burning wood AND you were already passing. Could be considered a bargain in that case.

That's what I thought too. Really need to stop what other people think about it! All nice wood which is why I went for it. There was some other logs there too. I forgot to take down the dog gurad so I couldn't fit the longer parts in! Doh!!
    1 /10 nsd 😀
  • berries
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Has it been treated? Depending on what it's been treated with, then it could generate nasty carcinogens when burnt, as well as damage your liner.

North it haven'tbeen treated. I won't use that as I know it isn't good to use etc. Just old horse fence post and rails.
    1 /10 nsd 😀
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did have the space until recently now having house through a renovation so garage is jambed packed with gear from house and another garage which is being converted to kitchen/diner.

Personnel I mostly use wood briquettes made by Verdo there not cheap. As I currently have no GCH I been using log burner a lot and using old timber from garage and it burns really quick and gives off little heat compared with wood briquettes which also take up less space as well. Glad I am using them now messing about getting wood from sources, chopping it up and constantly attending the wood burner. I use to get loads of pallet wood years ago to burn but it took a lot of time cutting them up and my car had to be always cleaned out even though I used tarpaulin inside wood/sawdust found away to get on to back seats
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Wouldn't travel far as I don't have a suitable vehicle. But I do keep an ear open for chainsaws running in the neighbourhood. A guy a few doors away had an old oak tree pruned. The small twigs were chipped and carted away, but the branchwood remained. Struck a deal with the neighbour that saw me cutting & splitting a massive pile in exchange for some of the logs.

Snagged an acer from a crew that was taking one down at the end of my road - They didn't want to haul the stuff too far, and it kinda fell off their trailer as they passed my drive :D
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • berries
    Options
    Thanks guys . I'm glad I'm not the only one. I do know a few Tree surger so always asking them etc. My garden backs onto a old railway line which will be opening in the future so a little chat to the chaps to find out when more trees taken down. I've been collecting the stuff they did last year. It's quite a bit so far!! Just waiting to get my chainsaw back then time to deal with them.
    1 /10 nsd 😀
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    But I do keep an ear open for chainsaws running in the neighbourhood.

That's what I do, and was really annoyed when I didn't hear or was away when an oak had to be felled a couple of hundred yards away.

So far I've been lucky, mainly sourced from within a few hundred yards or spotted on the way back from the shops. It's amazing what you can get in the back of an i20 with the seats down!

You're right about railway lines; when I go to the nearest city on the train I'm always seeing piles of decent stuff along the line.
  • berries
    Options
    Is it just me who just enjoys the satisfaction of getting the wood and spitting it all up!!. I've had another good find of logs. ...willow one's and a bit of ash. Two car loads done as it's just up the road from me. I know willow isn't the greatest wood I will mix it up once it's ready next year or so! ! Does anyone use the gadget thing that reads the moisture content of the logs??

I drove downthe m1 and I couldn't believe how much logs were there!! Now I don't know anyone who works on the motorway. ....yet �� .
    1 /10 nsd 😀
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    berries wrote: »
    Is it just me who just enjoys the satisfaction of getting the wood and spitting it all up!!
    Does anyone use the gadget thing that reads the moisture content of the logs??

Ah, the joys of splitting a gnarly round that is way too big for the splitter. Working out where to put a chainsaw cut to get it started and then watching lumps flying across the garden. After fighting with a nasty lump, picking up a straight grained log and splitting it cleanly first time is indeed a joy.

Picked up a pile of poplar some 18 months ago. Split it when still wet, and then stacked outside over winter. Transfered to a shed to bake during the summer heat wave, and I've been burning it over the last few months. If I could get any more, I'd jump on it without a second thought.

A moisture meter should be standard issue with any wood stove - Yes, I have one.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure