Leaking outside plastic pipe from condenser boiler

Options
Hi everyone, I’ve got a 4 year old combo boiler - ideal independent c30 that has started to leak via the outside plastic pipe. The pressure has also gone up to over 5 and I am really concerned as obviously this is not right! I’ve tried to see if I can reduce the pressure by adjusting one of the knobs under the boiler, but it all appears to be dead! There are no fault codes on the boiler and it does still fire up but obviously do not want to risk doing this. It has only started to leak since I turned the heating on for one day during last week....

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure you have the filling loop valves in the off position? Sounds like you may have left them in the on position.

Once the valves are off bleed a rad until the pressure goes down.
  • barchetta
    Options
    Well Tom, sorry to sound obtuse but I cannot now remember what position the knob needs to be turned too in order for it to be turned off ����!♀️. Are they all supposed to be turned upwards - ie the same position as where the pressure gauge one is? Also, the gauge is reading just under 3 and not 5 as I couldn’t properly see it! The leak is only outside too and is doing so at s very slow ‘drip drip’ pace!
  • barchetta
    Options
    How can I attach a photo folks as this would be easier to show how all the knobs are positioned. Thanks!
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Upload to here then post the link. You will probably have to put a gap in the link as you are a new member

https://imgbb.com/
  • barchetta
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in answering but family member now in hospital to cap it all! 🤦🏼!♀️. Right, I’ve got a recommended heating engineer to come and have a look and unfortunately the ‘expansion vessel’ has died so to speak. He took the cover of the boiler of and inside to the right of the boiler he removed a a small cover to what looked like a bicycle inlet on he tyre! Anyway, he said that there was no air coming from it and that this was the problem which is okay but......he then went on to say that I should have a power flush costing £350 but he’d do it as a special price of £250 - really?! I’m no expert but when the boiler started to leak on the outside of the house I placed a clean bucket to catch it all. The water itself does not look all that dirty and when I had the boiler installed in Jan 14’, it was a complete new system with the pipes being cleared then. I also had a magna clean put on in - although apparently as it is not within a foot of the boiler I was told that it probably would not be working that efficiently.

I’m beginning to get really cheesed off with tradesmen now as honestly, I do appreciate that there may have been some sediment that could have got in to the system but to have to pay all that does seem a bit much and I’m now getting a second opinion as he then said that the boiler I had - an Independent c30 was a budget model and I may be better off getting a new boiler?!!! 🤬. You couldn’t make it up I tell you......Can I also ask if it’s worth taking a boiler plan out to cover such eventualities as I’ve heard that they don’t really pay but at this rate 🤨....
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Magna cleans going to catch stuff wherever it's placed

Power flush not required
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Magna cleans going to catch stuff wherever it's placed

Power flush not required

Quite agree!

OP - Find yourself another heating engineer who knows what he's talking about!
  • barchetta
    Options
    Thank you Browntoa, I thought he was talking out of his ‘*rse’ if you’ll excuse my French! �� ��
  • barchetta
    Options
    Yes I have Mister G thank you!

He has said the same ie ‘forget the flush’, as not necessary and that the Magna clean is doing its job. Has also quoted me a lot less to do the actual work needed. What a relief to know that there are decent folk out there who don’t want to ‘pull your pants down’ so to speak......
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Errrm...

Lack of air in expansion vessel = boiler pressure rising above normal = boiler's over-pressure-relief valve opening = boiling hot water from pipe to outside

Pressure vessel needs re-pressurising. Probably nothing else. Should ideally be checked and done as part of service but often not.

Water coming out of the Schrader (car tyre type) valve would indicate the internal bladder had failed and a new vessel required. {Often quicker/easier/cheaper to install another vessel external to boiler if access to vessel requires part dismantling of it.}

Find your boiler manuals. It may have the install / maintenance instructions for setting / re-setting the pressure vessel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure