PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :)

Not me. Never had a smoothie, no desire to have one - I wouldn't relish the texture ....

I'm simply not of the "smoothie making/drinking/creating" class :)

My class wanders closer to "half a bowl of cold gruel and a hard crust of yesterday's cheap bread"

:)

:rotfl:

So does mine :D but you see I love milk shakes so this my healthier version made with real fruit and milk :D

Just trying to keep up with the smug 10 a dayers...NOT :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Just posted this in the What's for dinner' thread...dunno if any of you lovely lot had any thoughts?

Quick question: Does anyone here make smoothies? AMES :D

I've finally invested in a smoothie maker to aid my weight loss, increase my fruit and veg count and return to healthier eating.

I was wondering if they keep well in the fridge and for how long. Also i was wondering if they lose some of their nutrient value whilst being stored? Anyone know?

Oops sorry that was rather more of an in depth, long question really wasn't it

I've no idea, sorry. I don't store mine just make them on the day. I do sometimes prep them the night before and put them in the fridge, but the actual blitzing I do when I'm ready to drink them.

Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 March 2017 at 2:01PM
    Options
    Nuke/burger, win. Also cheese/ketchup. I was intending to shove them under the grill to brown, but it cooked up brown enough for me, so I didn't bother. If I'd just handed it over to somebody and said "eat that" they'd never suspect it wasn't fried/baked/grilled going on colour alone.

That was really nice. I've never bought burger buns before ... never really fancied the thought of those little seeds on the top - and always figured that regular bread rolls would do. No idea what made me buy these this week (except the 30% off sticker sucking me in). I won't buy burger buns in the future as they're "a gimmick" and I can get better value from just buying regular bread rolls.

I'll probably have another one in a bit.

Probably 1 tablespoon of fat at most. It didn't shrink much.

EDIT: I did have another one :) This time without the cheese because, as we all know, it's so HARD to open the fridge door, get the cheese out, cut a slice off, put the cheese back in the fridge and shut the door! So I just had the burger bun/burger/squirt of ketchup.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed your burgers PN and they didn't shrink too much:)

Karcher - sorry I'm not a big smoothie fan (unless it's fruity milkshake or a smoothie cocktail LOL) so can't help re storage.

I've taken a bit of beef out for tomorrow - it's silverside so it will be getting done in the slow cooker. It should be big enough to give me 1 or 2 meals or a meal and a sandwich so not too hard to use up:D
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good news about the burgers PN :D

Well I've just had my first HM smoothie and it was delicious and not too sweet :D

A banana, an apple and about 150mls of unsweetened almond milk, a new one on me and just trying it as it's only 13 calories per 100ml. Absolutely fine in my milk shake/smoothie but tried it in coffee and I think that would be an acquired taste.

2/10...go me :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last night I had my first takeaway of the year, sweet and sour Hong Kong style chicken with veggie rice. Had a lamb sandwich for breakfast and just had two slices of toast with butter for lunch. Dinner is imagine will be the other half of the takeaway.

With regards to smoothie making I blitz 160g of frozen fruit with 300ml of milk or apple juice using my hand blender every so often, not sure if that counts, I drink half and store half, have left for three days with no issues, not sure on the nutrition side I just like the taste.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Slice lengthways... add toppings, bake.

No point toasting it first, that runs the risk of it getting dried out and/or too brown/black.

It's part-bake and requires 10-12 minutes.
    Toppings require 10-12 minutes.
    It makes sense, therefore, to kill two birds with one 10-12 minutes stone :)

Thanks PN, it will be on my lunch list sometime next week having topped up the baguette store yesterday

Nice to hear your frozen burgers turned out OK, the ones I had, cheapo from Morrison's were like cardboard, and the size of a thin digestive. However when I go posh in Waitrose their ones are excellent, but not yet ventured into M & S burger territory, may do one day, if the M & S salmon fish cakes are any guide they should be superb

Had a hot breakfast for a change, yesterday's remaindered beans on toast, just hit the spot nicely

Lunch was penultimate stale bap from last Sunday buy, spread with phake philly and my HM celery & spud soup. This will also feature tomorrow, use up the last of both of them

Dinner is M & S pie, with M & S potato rosti cakes and not sure what else, will have freezer rummage and see if any of the frozen veg takes my fancy

I keep fancying some cake, but don't have any and CBA to make one. Yonks ago I made one of the ones microwaved in a mug sort. Maybe it was me but I was not impressed and it went like a rock, and stuck in the mug so a real PIA, but may just repeat the event, and hope it is better this time

That is all
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a huge smoothie fan! For a long time, I struggled to get enough fruit and veg in, and always felt plagued with coughs and colds.
    Nowadays I do about 4/5 smoothies a week and swear by them for aiding my overall health. Plus, if you cram lots in, they are pretty filling.
    I just tend to add in whatever I've got. At the moment I squeeze the juice of 2 oranges in, a whole banana, a handful of strawberries, and something else. That something else could be a pear, a mango, a handful of blackberries, maybe a peach. Whatever I've got.
    I've always drunk mine there and then, but I'm sure they'd be fine stored for a bit. But personally I wouldn't actually blend mine until I wanted to drink it.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 March 2017 at 6:53PM
    Options
    Ripen at Home Plums .... eventually do.

Just ate one, didn't expect it to be soft, but it was.

They're still a mucky slurpy eat though.

Here's a quick/small photo of my earlier burger, just to show it browned:

https://s10.postimg.org/cp5bhptw9/My_Burger.jpg
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Wow that really does look 'properly' cooked, PN.

I needed to go to B&M today so I braved the Asda next door. I saw a member of staff go past with the wire shelves full of reduced bakery stuff, there were loads of pastries so I thought I'd get some for a naughty breakfast tomorrow. But by the time I got to them one family was just finishing sweeping them all up, all two or three shelves full. I was so tempted to say something!

I think today's going to be a grazing evening, I just CBA. I got a tear and share bread that I think I'll do, an then nibble on fruit.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure