Return requested for not as described but labelled correctly...

Options
I sold a pair of pretty thonged sandals a week ago - size 6/EU 39.

Buyer says they don`t fit her and they are not fit for purpose. She thinks they are a more of a size 5 or even 4. I said the label was correct and accurate.

She has now opened a returns case.

I would be happy to accept a return if they were not as described...dirty/ wrong size etc but this isn't the case. I am a private seller and don`t have other sandals to offer her. I would lose out having to pay for her postage label too

I have made a formal complaint against her as I am cross that she can request a return for no good reason. I have pointed out that manufacturers vary and a dress that fits her friend might not necessarily fit her but I think this is to no avail....

By the way the sandals cost £3! I am wasting a lot of time and energy but I feel it is worth protecting my listings against false information.

Comments

• ssparks2003
    Options
    What's the cost of the postage likely to be? For £3 why not just refund and forget as it's a lot of effort to argue.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the sandals aren't a size 6 she has a valid point. For £3 just refund and tell her to keep them. Not worth the fuss. Next time put a note in your listing cautioning that you have shown the size given by the manufacturer but cannot vouch for its accuracy.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    If the sandals aren't a size 6 she has a valid point. For £3 just refund and tell her to keep them. Not worth the fuss. Next time put a note in your listing cautioning that you have shown the size given by the manufacturer but cannot vouch for its accuracy.
    Personally I think it is worth the fuss, another buyer that knows Ebay is a soft touch for an easy refund. She even probably knows she will get a refund and keep them.

Making it difficult for buyers like this puts them on Ebays radar, too many and like Amazon do they can get banned.
  • goodfella66
    Options
    As above. Unless it really was only worth a couple of quid, I always accept, or tell the buyer to open a returns case. You'll be surprised how many buyers don't bother and you never here from them again.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above. Unless it really was only worth a couple of quid, I always accept, or tell the buyer to open a returns case. You'll be surprised how many buyers don't bother and you never here from them again.

I now take a hard line with returns. As long as I'm completely sure that my description was accurate I prefer to get a case opened and a returns label sent . Like you the item actually rarely comes back, and my label just gets cancelled - that's assuming they even bother to open the case and few do.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Many cheap shoes made in the far east and not for a well known brand come up a lot smaller than the actual size on the shoe. But if the shoe says 6 then what are you suppose to do?

I know it is going to cost more to get them back, but I would insist on them opening a return. Many buyers don't and even if they do, they often don't bother to return. But there is really little than you can do than refund. Whether you insist on getting the item back first is up to you.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Many cheap shoes made in the far east and not for a well known brand come up a lot smaller than the actual size on the shoe. But if the shoe says 6 then what are you suppose to do?

As ebay suggests, include a measurement (not hard to measure the length of the sole of a shoe). Should avoid the need for hugely emotional over-reaction over £3!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pun wrote: »
    As ebay suggests, include a measurement (not hard to measure the length of the sole of a shoe). Should avoid the need for hugely emotional over-reaction over £3!

I have never ever mentioned the length of a shoe! How do you account for different thicknesses of material or the fancy edges that some ladies sandals have? Or what about the slight uplift if there is any thickness or heel?

Some of my shoes are rounded at toe and some are more shaped, it depends on the make. So shoes that fit me comfortably wouldn't have the same measurement at all.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 December 2017 at 11:02AM
    Options
    Pun wrote: »

I dont think the money is the issue here, it`s the fact that the buyer thinks the shoe is inaccurate. I think it is similar buying a dress in size 14- one from M & S would be different to that in Top Shop for example.

I am not being over emotional but I get either 2 NPB weekly or some who say as in this case that this is not as described(?) or not fit for purpose.

It is so nice to get feedback that is positive and that is appreciated.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Update

Spoke to Ebay Dublin who have closed down the original case and invited the buyer to send the shoes back to me for a refund at her own expense. That is a welcome relief. They felt it was buyer remorse too. All sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure