Bt smart hub 2 will it make a difference?

Options
I am not that tech savvy so am looking for some advice.
We have BT Superfast Fibre 1, and get around 50mb download and 13mb upload. We live in a 2 bedroomed flat only built in 2011 so walls are plasterboard and not brick. The problem we have is wifi devices in the main bedroom which is only about 20 feet from the living room keep disconnecting or running really slow.

I was wondering if it would make any difference upgrading from the Bt smart hub to the smart hub 2. I have a good deal on my package from Bt so dont want to upgrade the package, I just want reliable wifi through the flat. Alternatively would one of those wifi extenders help and if so what is the best bet?

Comments

• Croft12
    Croft12 Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Simon7685 wrote: »
    I am not that tech savvy so am looking for some advice.
    We have BT Superfast Fibre 1, and get around 50mb download and 13mb upload. We live in a 2 bedroomed flat only built in 2011 so walls are plasterboard and not brick. The problem we have is wifi devices in the main bedroom which is only about 20 feet from the living room keep disconnecting or running really slow.

I was wondering if it would make any difference upgrading from the Bt smart hub to the smart hub 2. I have a good deal on my package from Bt so dont want to upgrade the package, I just want reliable wifi through the flat. Alternatively would one of those wifi extenders help and if so what is the best bet?

There's no real difference in the hubs themselves. You can get a disc for wifi but its an extra monthly cost (£5-10 package dependant) If your wifi is bad you'd be better with an extender. For a new build 20' is poor. Perhaps try changing the wifi channels to see if you have congestion from neighbours. failing that you'd be better buying a cheap powerline as a one off cost its less than the yearly cost of a wifi disc. (a tp link powerline wifi starter kit is about £37)

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above and from actual use 2 is not much better than 1 .
    Though both have good wifi .
    Suggests something wrong with your wifi setup .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Croft12 wrote: »
    Perhaps try changing the wifi channels to see if you have congestion from neighbours.
    [/B]

To do this, go to 192.168.1.254 then Wireless then Change settings (need admin password on back of Smart Hub) and then Rescan.
  • Simon7685
    Simon7685 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am going to go with the Wifi extender as advised but when I can I will try and change the channels to see what happens but I guess using the extender can't do anything but improve things.
    I have been looking at what is available at Argos/Ebay/Amazon and am thinking of the BT 11AC dual band N1200 which is £39.99 at Amazon. Will this do the trick?
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Simon7685 wrote: »
    I have been looking at what is available at Argos/Ebay/Amazon and am thinking of the BT 11AC dual band N1200 which is £39.99 at Amazon. Will this do the trick?
    I would go with a TP-Link RE200 as it gets excellent reviews, £24.99 at Amazon.

I use the earlier version (N300) in a holiday flat to repeat from a neighbour's wifi and it works really well.

Scrounger
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Have you checked if your bedroom device is working on the 5Ghz band rather than the 2.4 band?

My smart TV was operating on the 2.4 band and was stuttering and breaking up, but a switch to the 5Ghz band solved the problem immediately.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure