PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying A Home Or Private Renting? Which Is The Best Option?

Options

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Please go home today. It doesn't matter if you lose a night's accommodation cost, you're not gaining anything by staying.

All anybody here wants is for you to be safe. There is a train from Liverpool to London once an hour. Go to the station and get on one. If you have to wait a while buy yourself a coffee, or a sandwich and a cake to eat on the train.

That's all you need to do today. Please let us know when you get back home.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 May 2017 at 4:00PM
    Options
    given she also tells everyone the long version of the story would not surprise me that this is contributing to the CMHT saying she does not need their support.

My CMHT seem to think I am not ill enough to need their support.
    It's true that I am not on medication but that does not mean I don't need emotional support.

When I was with my CMHT Social workerbefore the CMHT discharged me in April 2014. I was seeing her every 2 weeks which I found very helpful as she was giving me emotional support. The psychiatrist I only saw once every 6 months which was always a different one so I never got to know the psychiatrist.

But the CMHT discharged me in 2014 and the then psychiatrist said I am not ill enough to need their services.

And my CMHT have been saying that ever since despite repeated referrals back to them from my GP. So the CMHT won't take me back again.

But I still want to go home to my HA flat despite this.

I like my flat despite my CMHT's refusal to take me back. And I like the area I am in. I am near the shops, it's a nice area and the HA is not too bad and the neghbors are nice.

I think the HA understand me better know as most of the staff know I have MH problems. And I have gotten used to my HA and the comfortable home I have made for myself there in my flat.

I am not going to be hounded out of what is my home by the CMHT's refusal to take me back.

And even if I did move to Liverpool there is no guarantee that the CMHT up here will give me a keyworker or support either.

They may say the same thing as my CMHT in Essex.
    So I could move up here and have the same problem.

And I am not going to save money in a private rented flat up here.

As I have found out, a 1 or 2 bedroom flat in Liverpool and the surrounding areas's are about £450 or £500 per calendar month.
    And that's only £150 or £100 less than what I am paying now with my HA at £603 per calendar month.

So now I am not going to save much money in rent if I move up here.

I still have to pay rent myself. Whether I pay £603 a month or £450 a month I am still paying it.

And as we both know my inheritace is not going to last me forever so I will have to go back on HB and full benefits one day.

Be it in 10 years time or 15 but that day will come when I will have to go back on HB.

But at least if I stay with my HA when I do I will still have a secure home but with a private landlord I might not have.

If I don't have any problems where I am living then why do I want to go through the hassle of moving. And removal vans the stress of it and high removal van costs?

And the hassle of transferring my utility bills and energy suppliers? When I don't have any problems where I am living?

As well giving up a secure flat to a flat which is not secure where I could be evicted at any time?

If I go into private rented and end up having to move every 2 years or so. That would cost me a deposit each time and that would eat up my inheritace more quickly. As well as removals and storage costs.

I have had quotes from several removal companies and it will cost me about £3000 to both move my furniture and my stuff from Essex to Liverpool including the overnight storage.

Because of the long distance move.

And that's another 3k gone from my inheritance as well as the 2k deposit I might have to put down for a private flat.

If this idea of the trip had been discussed here first at least a decent plan could have been formulated before getting on the train, carrying £1600 in cash!

Yes I have wasted my time and my money coming here.

I did not have to stay up here for 3 weeks.

I could have just booked for 4 days,gone to the letting agents in that time then gone home again.

Or I could have just phoned the letting agents up from London and they could have told me if they had flats or not and what I needed to know.

Even if I did go round to the letting agents today they may say they have not got anything.
    They have not always got flats they are not so easy to get just like that.

So even if I had have gone to the letting agents it is unlikely I would get a flat within a few days. It can take weeks or even months to get a flat.

So even if I were to stay here another week and go to the letting agents I won't get a flat right away.

As I said it could take several months to get a flat and I cannot stay here in Liverpool that long.

And I might not have got one anyway as I still would have to find a landlord or letting agent who would accept me.

And that's not so easy.

Although I am not on HB I am stil on DLA and ESA and cannot work.
    And some landlord and letting agents would consider that to be on DSS even though I am not on HB.

And some private landlords only want working tenants and a lot want references and guarantors.

So it is not so easy to get a private flat.
    Many accounts offer better interest with penalties such as loss of 90 days interest for early withdrawal. You are very unlikely to need instant access to the majority of this money. Parking at least 80% of this money in an account with restricted access would be wise. As you no longer intend to buy a property in the immediate future there is no reason not to do this.

Well I have as I said before £55k in one Savings Account which is an ordinary account.

£5000 in one Currant Account with my bank which my direct debits come out of for my bills.

£3,600 in my other currant account and another saving account which my benefits get paid into by the DWP. that just has my benefits money in there.

And the rest of my money is in another account with a different Bank which is also just a regular saving account. That has 44k in it.
    So I have about 108k but it is split up in different accounts.

Some of it with one bank and some of it is with another.

So you are saying that I could split my savings up further by opening more accounts with different banks and putting smaller amounts in those?
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »
    So you are saying that I could split my savings up further by opening more accounts with different banks and putting smaller amounts in those?

No.

They are advising you to put the majority of your money in a high interest account. You cannot access this money whenever you want to but you shouldn't need to touch any of this money in the next few years anyway.
  • System
    edited 20 May 2017 at 4:04PM
    Options
    Slithery wrote: »
    No.

They are advising you to put the majority of your money in a high interest account. You cannot access this money whenever you want to but you shouldn't need to touch any of this money in the next few years anyway.

But I want an account where I CAN access the money whenever I want not one where I can't.

My bank does have such accounts such as the Loyalty Saver.

You have to have been with my bank for so many years to get this account. But as I have been with them for 15 years they told me I do qualify.

With a Loyalty Saver you can only invest up to 50k. So I could put in say 40k. But you can draw out the money or make withdrawals any time you want. The same as you can with a regular saver but it pays a higher interest at 0.75%.

Then there is the Instant Access ISA that banks have which pays also pays a higher interest.

And you can have unlimited withdrawals with that as well. But you can only invest up to 15k. Or is it 20k now?

But it is instant access like my other savings accounts but I also would get a bit higher interest on both the Loyalty Saver and the Instant Access ISA.

But you can only have 1 ISA account.

So you cannot have different ISA's with different banks.

For example if I had an ISA with 1 bank I cannot open another ISA Account with another bank.

1 ISA account only.

The second bank I am with also have their own loyalty Savers if you have been with them for so many years.

But because I have only been with them a few months I do not qualify.

But maybe after I have been there for a year or so I might qualify for a loyalty saver or the equivalent with my second bank.

I would only put my money in a high interest account if I had instant access to it.

I do not want to lock it away or put it in an account that I cannot access.

Because if ever I did need to draw out the money say if I did want to buy a place or rent or for something else, I would not be able to get to it. And I don't want that.

Although I do not need to draw out all of that money I feel reassured and safe to know.
    That if ever I need to draw out I can get to it easy.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes that's why I am not keen on the idea of going into private rented.
    Because I know I would not have a secure tenancy. And could find myself homeless or moving around from flat to flat if the landlord threw me out.

And I don't want that to happen.

Plus there is the added fees (for now EA fees) when moving to a new rented place and whether a landlord would rent to you.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

Well I have as I said before £55k in one Nationwide Savings Account which is an ordinary account.

£5000 in one Currant Account with Nationwide which my direct debits come out of for my bills.

£3,600 in my other currant account and another saving account which my benefits get paid into by the DWP. that just has my benefits money in there.

And the rest of my money is in my Halifax Bank account which is just a regular saving account. That has 44k in it.
    So I have about 108k but it is split up in different accounts.

You've got 99k in instant access accounts earning little interest. Most higher interest accounts have limited access and only accept smaller amounts. Its up to you how hard you are willing to work to maximise the interest but I suspect you can find better rates than you are getting.
    Restricting the access may also help you view the money as long term savings rather than available money.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    But I want an account where I CAN access the money whenever I want not one where i can't.

Although I do not need to draw out all of that money I feel reassured and safe to know.
    That if ever I need to draw out I can get to it easy.
    From the rest of this post you seen to be doing ok with your savings but don't limit yourself to instant access accounts. Many have better rates for minor restrictions or penalties. If you do need the money it is available.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Since the thread was primarily about buy or rent privately.

I have come to conclusion that neither would be a good idea.

private renting is far too risky for potential disruptions and the many reason covered already.

buying is too risky because you won't be able to manage and maintain a property.

with the HA you one point of contact for when things need doing you may get frustrated wit hte way they do things but all you have to do is call.

if this was you own place you would be dealing with trades people having to negotiate prices for work to be done manage checking the work yourself this list of potential issues goes on that's if you don't get ripped of buying the place because you have told them how much money you have.

The main issue is you don't have the right people around you looking out for you to stop you doing stupid things like you have done with this trip.

buying a property without that support would not be a very sensible step.

You NEED to keep your life simple.

It does not come much simpler than a HA flat at reasonable cost that someone else has to maintain for you.
  • System
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Plus there is the added fees (for now EA fees) when moving to a new rented place and whether a landlord would rent to you.

Yes exactly.
    Every time I move I would have to pay another deposit to the landlord. And you don't always get your deposit back.
    You've got 99k in instant access accounts earning little interest. Most higher interest accounts have limited access and only accept smaller amounts. Its up to you how hard you are willing to work to maximise the interest but I suspect you can find better rates than you are getting.
    Restricting the access may also help you view the money as long term savings rather than available money.

108k, but that amount of money is not going to run out over night.
    Even though it is in an instant access account I am not going to draw all of it out and spend it.

I get £214 a week in benefits I have not added it as to how much that is per calendar month. Just divided by 4 so it's £854 every 4 weeks.

But per calendar month it would work out a bit more.

But I use my £854 a month benefits to pay my rent. But that only leaves me with £240 a month. Which covers some but not all of my bills.

So I still have to draw some money out of my savings to cover the rest of my bills and food.

But I won't spend 108k in one year. NO WAY.

Unless I do something silly such as stay at the savoy or go on round the world cruises which I won't.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Go home. Sort out all this stuff from home, where you are safe and sound.

I'd offer my advice on several other of your points, but only once you have gone home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure