PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    2 shops so far this month. my bargain cheese yellow stickered from the coop (3x75p instead of £3) and my weekly lidles shop which came in at £41.99.
    my weekly shop was more than I intended but I bought stuff to fill freezer space the iceberg took up before defrosting and 2 smallish chickens that I roasted yesterday and then stripped and froze before making stock in the pressure cooker.
    what confused me tho was that I froze all the bargain cheese and then bought a big block on my normal shop, what an idiot! oh well freezer cheese will keep me in supply of cooking cheese for a few months.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    purpleybat wrote: »
    it's something I keep meaning to pick up and try but I only pass H&B at the end of the month when I have no spare cash
    Not a fan personally, but for your information they sell it in Asda.
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Not a fan personally, but for your information they sell it in Asda.

thankyou. we don't have one here but I have a pal that shops at one so I might be able to add it to his shopping list. the bonus being he may forget to charge me for it :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well purpleybat, having reminded me I had some, I added it to my dinner, which was a savoury bulgar wheat and it was lovely. Maybe I need to experiment more.
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OH is very ill and as he is a painkiller fiend I had to stock up today. As some may know from my debt free diary I am having mental health difficulties at the moment and will try anything to get better, so was doing some research and heard that nutrition and vitamin deficiencies can play a big part so shopped around 5 different stores to get the best price on the four supplements that can play the biggest helping hand.

As a result the budget is severely deflated but we may be ok this month.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    So today was a nsd. We had sausage casserole for dinner, all from stores/ freezer. Tomorrow will be mince and mash - the children have never had it before, but they've had cottage pie...! I found some minted peas in the freezer, so I'll serve it with that I expect, to use them up. I'm really on a mission with my freezers!

There will be no need to go shopping tomorrow, as I have everything I need for tomorrow and weds, so just need some willpower! I may even be really organised and make the pizza base for weds tomorrow, so then I'll have to use it.

I have loads of strawberries to use. We'll eat as many as we can tomorrow, then I'll freeze the rest, ready for either putting into porridge or making into jam when I have enough sugar.

Still on £2.83/£100

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening all
    Florence_J wrote: »
    OH is very ill and as he is a painkiller fiend I had to stock up today. As some may know from my debt free diary I am having mental health difficulties at the moment and will try anything to get better, so was doing some research and heard that nutrition and vitamin deficiencies can play a big part so shopped around 5 different stores to get the best price on the four supplements that can play the biggest helping hand.

Sorry to hear your DH is soo poorly and hope he soon recovers.

You don't say which supplements you have decided to try, but am wondering if you could get the necessary nutrition and vitamins through your diet ? You can google them and get lists of foods that are highest in different things. I do take Vit D on dull days, as living here we often get days and days without any sunshine.

Had our 2nd NSD today :j

Hope you all have a super Tuesday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 July 2017 at 12:00AM
    Options

Really sorry to hear about your troubles. What pain killers does your OH take, Ibuprofen & Paracetamol are only about 30p in Tesco and are the same as brand names. As for yourself, like Lynne said, you don't mention what your supplementing. I took a look at your DFD first message and if its depression & anxiety, vitamin c is really good. I don't have any issues personally, but I mega dose vitamin c daily. I recently found 20 1000mg effervescent tablets in poundland. I take 3 a day, 3000mg. I would not say to you to take them on my say so, but would highly recommend you research mega dosing vitamins and make your own mind up. Vitamin c is water soluble, so the body will get rid of anything it cannot use, though all vitamins are not like that. Also dairy can have a really bad effect on people. The protein contained in dairy, Casein, is addictive and has been linked to depression, anger, agression, to name but a few. There are lots of reliable sources on Google/YouTube. Good luck. https://mentalhealthfood.net/the-uncommon-power-of-the-common-vitamin-c/
  • Budgetbabe
    Budgetbabe Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Sorry for being MIA....and only checking in so far into the month.....the little one is taking up a lot more of my time and attention than anticipated:rotfl:

Budget for July to be £250. Again.

So far I have done an online order and one visit to the shop - total £111.67, which is slightly more than I had hoped to spend by this point....
    Need to focus on making sure I stick to plan for the rest of the month, and that means getting organised and planning a lot more!

Hope that everyone is well, and has a wonderful day :D

BB x
    September GC £250 / £58.13
  • GroovySciFiChick
    Options
    It's so hot that today I noticed my coconut oil had melted in its jar, I guess that will be on next month's shopping list.
    Hi Florence, coconut oil has a melting point of 24C so at or above that temp it will become liquid, once the temp drops below it will re-solidify, and can be used as normal, can still be used in its liquid state. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure