Advice re new-to-me car

Options
Hello
Sadly my dad died a while ago and on the day a small inheritance came my old car decided to develop an electrical issue which will not be cost effective to resolve.
Big a bit of a hippy I thought I'd like a hybrid (not being totally committed to cycling on all my journeys!). I thought this would be straightforward but i feel exhausted by the process.
Test drive, fine. Sales pitch - turns out that the car may well be stolen from me if I don't take out HP at 8%, as this is searchable by car thieves and HP puts them off stealing it, and of course the insurance doesn't cover it for the full amount I would pay (doesn't this suggest its overpriced?!) I don't want HP at 8% to presumably line the salesmans pocket. Do I really have to risk the insurance not covering the full amount I would pay? Any advice or wise words?
Thank you

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lunchmunch wrote: »
    Sales pitch - turns out that the car may well be stolen from me if I don't take out HP at 8%, as this is searchable by car thieves and HP puts them off stealing it

Salesmen do come up with some interesting patter, don't they?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do the deal with finance to please the dealer and get a bigger discount, then a month later pay the finance company off. Job done!
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Twaddle. As above, plus if you really want to avoid a finance shortfall (if you do get finance), research gap insurance - you'll find it half the price online. But why pay 8% for finance unless you can get more investing your money elsewhere
  • New_World_Man
    Options
    Of course the 8% may just be flat rate and not APR, which would mean a significant difference.
  • Mike967angus
    Options
    Why take the finance if you don't need to? Unless they give you enough of their commission to make it worth your while then pay it up.
    My guess is the cars cheap and the finance is where their profit is.
    Gap insurance is cheaper to do yourself if your worried.
  • sheslookinhot
    Options
    If the insurance doesn't cover the value it is overpriced.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you buy a new car and the minute it is driven out of the showroom it loses a large chunk of money, could be into the thousands

so if you write the car off on the way home you may well have a shortfall in what you paid the dealer and what the insurance valuation pays out this is what Gap insurance is for dont take the dealer offering as it will be three or four times the cost of independently sourced gap insurance

the talk of you must take the finance is not true but to get to the price you are being quoted the salesman may well be including dealer and manufactures contributions that are only available if you take the te finance

ask for the best cash price and look for gap insurance on the net and if the price quoted is to high then walk away
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the insurance doesn't cover the value it is overpriced.

I dont believe that the OP said it wouldn't cover the value, I believe they said it wouldn't cover what they paid.

Of course insurance won't cover what they paid - if you write your car off after 5 years, the insurance aren't going to pay out what you paid for the car - only what the car was valued at when it was stolen/written off/whatever.

However if the salesman was describing what gap insurance would be used for, then he's talking out his !!!! as that situation only arises when paid for via finance (ie finance agreement for a £30k car with £36k total repayable over 60 months....you'd have a balance owing of just under £29k after a year but your car might only be worth £22k).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tell them your best cash offer, you are ready to buy that day and you are not interested in finance. You also have other cars you are on your way to look at.

Depending on the age/value of the car, look up online GAP insurance. Don't ever take out anything offered by the dealer as it is probably the very same policy but at three times the price.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lunchmunch wrote: »
    Hello
    Sadly my dad died a while ago and on the day a small inheritance came my old car decided to develop an electrical issue which will not be cost effective to resolve.
    Big a bit of a hippy I thought I'd like a hybrid (not being totally committed to cycling on all my journeys!). I thought this would be straightforward but i feel exhausted by the process.
    Test drive, fine. Sales pitch - turns out that the car may well be stolen from me if I don't take out HP at 8%, as this is searchable by car thieves and HP puts them off stealing it, and of course the insurance doesn't cover it for the full amount I would pay (doesn't this suggest its overpriced?!) I don't want HP at 8% to presumably line the salesmans pocket. Do I really have to risk the insurance not covering the full amount I would pay? Any advice or wise words?
    Thank you

You really must to go to a different dealer, if they are spinning guff like that who knows what else they are telling you that's also complete bunkum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure