Flexible working hours

Options

Comments

• Cainster
    Cainster Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    How? We have a meeting with our manager in 2 weeks. What will fight our corner?
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Cainster wrote: »
    I am one of approx 20 people who did not apply for it as we just want to work a fair rota so a fair distribution of early and late shifts on Fridays. The selfish people ( as described by the union) applied for early shifts on Fridays ( even though they want to work Saturdays as overtime). The people who are now left to do all the later shifts are now very upset, not sleeping, poor health etc because we will never get a choice of earlier shifts or booking half days etc. You have to swap to an early shift if you want a half day, but there is no flexibility to swap now. It!!!8217;s causing a lot of friction on the department.
    People aren't sleeping because they have to work to the ungodly hour of 6pm!!!

Get a grip
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Cainster
    Options
    It!!!8217;s not about that. We cannot book early finishes to go away at weekends, special occasions, etc. It!!!8217;s not about getting a grip. You don!!!8217;t know anything about me, about my job, and that I don!!!8217;t want to work late every Friday. I have a family and a sick parent so MAY need to finish early but that option has been taken away. I just want fair working hours
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I am one of approx 20 people who did not apply for it as we just want to work a fair rota so a fair distribution of early and late shifts on Fridays. The selfish people ( as described by the union) applied for early shifts on Fridays ( even though they want to work Saturdays as overtime). The people who are now left to do all the later shifts are now very upset, not sleeping, poor health etc because we will never get a choice of earlier shifts or booking half days etc. You have to swap to an early shift if you want a half day, but there is no flexibility to swap now. It!!!8217;s causing a lot of friction on the department.
    Oh for goodness sake. Is this for real or for the playground? If 20 of you didn't apply for it at all, it is not unfair and it isn't the fault of those who did. And I'm absolutely stunned by any "union" that calls people selfish for exercising the legal rights that unions fought for. That comment alone makes me question if this is for real. And don't make me laugh- if all the people who can't have their own way because they didn't even ask are now sick as a result of not finishing early on a Friday, then every industrial country in the world would be crippled by the sickness rates of workers forced to work a couple of hours on a Friday. The changes in flexible working were one of the most advertised and talked about changes in employment law, on every news programme, and promoted to union members. If you didn't apply then that is your own responsibility.
  • Cainster
    Options
    If I want to finish at say 12 I can!!!8217;t because they need cover at the end of the day. It!!!8217;s not just about those 2 hours, it!!!8217;s about the flexibility taken away.
  • sangie595
    Options
    It!!!8217;s not about that. We cannot book early finishes to go away at weekends, special occasions, etc. It!!!8217;s not about getting a grip. You don!!!8217;t know anything about me, about my job, and that I don!!!8217;t want to work late every Friday. I have a family and a sick parent so MAY need to finish early but that option has been taken away. I just want fair working hours
    It wasn't taken away. You didn't apply for flexible working. You could have. You didn't. Just because you aren't getting the answer you want isn't any reason to rant at people here. This is work, and it doesn't have to be fair.
  • Cainster
    Options
    So my contract is now incorrect. Do all contracts have to changed?
  • sangie595
    Options
    So my contract is now incorrect. Do all contracts have to changed?
    No they don't. I'll lay bets that if you actually check your statement of main particulars (it's not the contract) you'll find clauses that allow for changes to hours - if there are fixed hours anyway, as you seem to suggest that they weren't even before. But small changes to shifts are commonplace. If there's a change, then you've already been working them, which in law means you accepted the change. If not they just have to tell you that you have some changes to your hours, and you can accept them or you'll get your notice.

I think that the problem you are failing to appreciate here is that the employer only cars that the job is done. Not by who or when. Their business needs are met. End of story. But it will be significantly harder for them to now refuse the flexible working they've agreed as those changes actually do constitute a contractual change - and the employer now had to advisor what they agreed.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So you are whining because you didn't apply for flexible working and now wish you had?
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do the people have to request their early shifts each week, or have they just permanently moved on to earlies?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure