Financial Fasting and other goings on

Options

Comments

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    It makes you think, doesn't it kangoora. It put some things in perspective for me and I feel I've come away with a couple of good lessons.
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    A fairly quiet weekend for me. I bought a mattress in the boxing day sales as mine was causing me pain in my hips and lower back. It was a huge palaver getting it in the house and up the stairs, but on Saturday I finally put it on my bed. Took over an hour of sweat and grunting, but I managed to get the new mattress on and the old mattress and topper off and out of my bedroom. It's rock hard this new mattress but I'm definitely feeling that it's better for my back and hips.

I met a friend for lunch and it was her turn to pay, so no money spent there. Then yesterday I had a quiet day at home doing various bits of research online and pottering about with housework etc.

My only let down was that I didn't update my bullet journal for this week! I can't do that tonight as I'm training a new radio presenter, but should be able to sort that tomorrow.

I also need to book the council to come and collect my 2 mattresses (and 1 other item yet to be decided) as they're in the spare room and getting in the way.

I hope everyone had a lovely weekend.

MTxx
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    I'm struggling a bit with my bullet journal at the moment - when I keep on top of it I know it works for me, but it's the ongoing maintenance to get it to that stage that's not quite firing for me at the moment. I wonder whether I need to have a set routine that I always spend Monday lunchtime dealing with it as that gets it sorted right at the start of the week.

Good call by the sound of it on the new mattress too - we replaced our bed base and mattress last year and it makes such a difference doesn't it!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    From the information I've seen from other bullet journal people is that they do set aside specific time to update their planners. Some do it each night as they update their day logs, to set up for the next day and weekly planners, like myself, set aside an hour or two one evening in the week to get their following week set up. So I'm still trying to work around that. Having a holiday seems to reboot all of my organised plans and I need to get them back up to scratch again. The complete tiredness of jetlag doesn't help!

It really does make a massive difference having a fresh new mattress.
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    I had the best night's sleep I think I've had in years last night! It seemed to take me a while to get used to the harder mattress, but I've woken up feeling no aches or strains (and dog tired as I was in a deep sleep when my alarm went off).

I'm also thinking that I often go from one extreme (spending as much as I can) to the other (not buying anything at all). So I just alternate between the two. To break that cycle I'm going to try to go for more mindful spending. Looking around my house, there are many things that are a bit bedraggled. My bed covers, my towels, things like that. So, I'm going to let up on the fasting and just be more aware that I only buy things I genuinely need. As it would be very rare that I need to buy something the moment I see I need it, I'll also shop around for some good deals.

Other than that, the mindless spending seems to be under control a lot more now. I also need to look at food wastage as I'm getting worse at buying prices of food rather than what I actually want. So that always works out to be a false economy.

Right, I'm off for a little nap. They tend to frown on such behaviour at work, but they also tell me it's all about priorities, and my priority is to not be tired! :)

MTxx
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Happy napping! :D

I wonder if in your world the spending thing is a bit like the theory of why diets don't work. The theory as I recall it is: If you diet, you're either on a diet (in which case the body is thinking "ooh poor me!" and feeling deprived) or you're "off the diet" - cue "Yahoo! I can eat ALL the food!" thoughts - feast or famine, but never a sensible mid-road path. The theory goes that when we ditch that feast or famine route we re-learn to listen to our bodies, listen to when we're actually full up, and eat the stuff that we want, that satisfies us rather than poor substitutes that we're eating because we're "being good" and that don't satisfy us so we end up eating more of. Seems to me that your mindful spending idea could well work, particularly if it's used in conjunction with :money:'s money mantra?

On the food thing why not write a list of meals you love and then work out how they can be made in as budget-friendly a way as possible?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Wow! That Cambodian trip sounds very unusual and different . Cool break . Good idea getting a new mattress . I made that one of my priorities when I moved home last year . Got topper and mattress protectors in homesense . Seems like you have more or less caught up on the jet lag :rotfl:
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    EH I think you're so right. I'm like that with most aspects of my life. I often tell people I don't have a very wide grey area, so maybe I need to adopt this in all aspects of my life. Thank you.
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    Hello AC. Cambodia was one of my most unusual holidays. It was nice to have my eyes opened so widely.

Doesn't it make a difference with the new mattress. It's been great reading your diary after a break too because you sound so different, in such a great way.

I have caught up on the jet lag, thank goodness. That's not a nice feeling.
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    I've found some lovely bedding and towels, online and in sale, so I'll be ordering them. This time I'll only purchase what I need now rather than my usual "they're such a great price, get some spares"!!!

I have also bought tickets for The Shape Of Water on Monday as a friend of mine and I like to do an "Oscars" showing. I've seen 3 Billboards (I really enjoyed that) and so I'd just like to watch The Post and Darkest Hour now. Although I'm watching Monday's film in central London, the tickets are only £7.95 each and we won't stop for food or drink so not an expensive evening.

I didn't bring out the girls yesterday!!! What was I thinking? Maybe I'll make up for it tomorrow.

MTxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport