Losing control, time to take charge.

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Caspeia wrote: »
    Its in my name but she's realible enough to give me the money each month. It started out as paying it as she used to help out with childcare so we paid it as a thanks as she saved us a lot of money. When I went on maternity she started paying us the money for it and we just haven't moved it into her name yet. I need to get this changed over at some point but its difficult to find time to go to the shop to do it as we need both of us there and our schedules clash!

In your name, a bit risky but if your happy with it then its ok.
  • Caspeia
    Caspeia Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    I downloaded yolt and just spent the last few hours rearranging my transactions into the correct sections. Holy crap I am gobsmacked the results.
    My main worrying catergories are: cash taken out, eating out and groceries

Cash:
    Jan: £550
    Feb: £550
    March: £461.50
    April: £535.60
    May: £150

Total cash taken out: £2247.10 I have no clue what this was spent on! My guess is food as we normally eat the majority of our meals out

Eating out (these are only places we paid for with card):

Jan: £225.80
    Feb: £256.70
    March: £155.51
    April: £254.43
    May: £76.68

Total: £969.12

Groceries (any supermarkets):

Jan: £537.28
    Feb: £125.09
    March: £189.67
    April: £353.86
    May: £386.46

Total: £1592.36

What an absolute waste of money
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Blimey, that is a lot.
    At least you are aware of it now.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Caspeia
    Options
    I think I know what my problem is. A lot of the shop payments/cash withdrawals are between £10 and £20. It doesn't feel like much money at the time but I can be doing that multiple times in a day.
    When I have tried to go and do a food shop I cant make myself spend over £40. It just seems like too much money to spend at once but in reality I'm spending way more, its just mentally its more managable amounts.
    I think I need to do a good food shop, that has everything I actually need in it. The month of may was a significant drop in my spends and I'm trying to work out why. I lost 11lbs in weight this month and I didnt buy any chocolate, crisps & fizzy juice. I also bought the hellofresh box which meant I didnt have to go out to the shops to get food. its tempting to get it again for a while just until I'm back into the habit of cooking our meals instead of always buying them. not sure yet though
  • Caspeia
    Options
    I've been trying to work out some local activities we can do when its the summer holidays as the 3 year old will be off nursery. I technically go back to work on the 26th of July but I've taken holidays until the 23rd August so I'll be off until schools go back (I'm in Scotland so holidays are earlier)

The husband works 2 jobs and is out of the house almost everyday at one of his jobs and at least 4 days a week is out the house from 7.30am to 8pm. I need to play some sort of day outs to keep me sane.

I'm trying to find some local things to do that isn't too expensive.

So far I have got for July:
    1. Cinema day. I will take them to one of the kids showings which is already a reduced price. I've had a look and its £3.25 per person, baby is free so only £6.50 for us. However I'm a member of the odeon club so get 25p off the tickets which brings it down to £6 and then I have enough points in my account to get one free ticket so for a trip to the cinema we will only be £3! I'll bring some snacks in with us so we don't buy anything there. Afterwards we will go to a local park which is quite good and free and we can have a picnic there for lunch.

2. Science centre. This costs £7.95 for an adult entrance (£6.95 for a student entry which I am as I'm studying chemistry part-time. I've emailed them to ask if presenting my NUS card is enough for ID) Under 4s are free so we'll only have to pay £7.95 (or £6.95) for the three of us. It takes a couple of hours to go round and we'll bring our lunch with us as well. There's one day in July that they have a 'ask the expert day, music mayhem' thing on which is included in entry price so we'll go then.

3. Local animal park. On groupon there's a deal for an adult ticket £4 (normally £9), no deals on child tickets but they are £6. Baby is free. £10 for that day. We'll bring our lunch with us this day as well.

So 3 days planned so far, total cost £20.95
    (£19.95 if I get the student discount)

My budget is £60, I need to also take into consideration how much fuel I'll use which I have budget of £15 for, I do still have petrol in the car aswell.

I want to have at least 6 days over the month planned. I have a couple of ideas for the other ones but not completely sure if I want to do them yet. I have £40 left in the budget.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    You are very organised :)
    Only two weeks til nursery/school break up.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Caspeia
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    You are very organised :)
    Only two weeks til nursery/school break up.

I'm hoping being organised will stop me overspending. I'm hoping to find enough low priced activities that we keep busy. I wanted to take them to the zoo but with the train cost and ticket prices it would be a total of £45.15 for the day! Its just not worth spending that much money on a day out
  • Caspeia
    Options
    Got the fee increase letter from my daughters nursery and I've managed to work out her childcare costs for after the summer holidays. She goes to a non-profit nursery so its a lot cheaper than a private nursery. She will also start getting her preschool funding starting in August. 4 days until 4pm and then 5th day is a half day. £53.78 for the week.
    Baby is looking at around £160 a week for the same hours (well half an hour longer so I have time to pick him up), can't wait until he turns 2 and can go to her nursery. It will be £90 for his hours, the year after he will get his funding (apparently 2020 is also the year Scotland gets the three 30hrs!) and 3 year old will be at school. Oh I can't wait until 2020 :rotfl:
    I just want to hear back from my interview already, they said it would probably be Friday but I'm so impatient!
    I want to avoid going back to my current work if I can manage it, shifts just don't work out.

Does anyone know if I hand my notice in (presuming I get the job) so I say my last day of work is the last day of the holiday, do I need to pay back any holidays I've taken? Its the entitlement of holidays I've accured when on maternity leave. I still have 76hrs of holidays to take after my four week holidays which I can use to take me up to the end of the holiday year.

So 'back to work' July 26th and then use holidays until August 31st, hand my notice in start of August, last day of work being the 31st The new holiday year starts on the 1st of September. Is that allowed?
  • Caspeia
    Options
    I can't wait until the start of July so I can start making some headway on our debts.

I've signed up the 3 year old for swimming lessons and dance classes. She's been on the swimming lessons waiting list for a while so I'm glad she finally has a place, learning to swim is very important to me. Swimming lessons are in a town 14 miles away, there is nothing in my town anymore so its very frustrating. These run throughout the summer holidays so our first class is next week, luckily I've still got around a 1/4 of a tank left so that will do me for next month.

Dance classes are a 5 minute walk from the house so no costs to actually get there, but she has a uniform to wear for both classes. The first class her uniform will be £42.50 :eek: the second class they are changing the uniform and they haven't finalised what exactly they are doing, although she said it will probably be black leotard and black shorts. I forgot to ask about shoes, as its jazz and tap combined class so not sure if they use tap shoes at that age or if they just do more technique based stuff so potentially 2 types of shoes :eek: They are going to email me the prices and requirements when they have processed all the paperwork for everyone signing up, I'm thinking its going to be around £100 in uniform costs :eek:
    When I have the email I'm going to see if I can source things cheaper than they are selling them for at the shop. I've already got my eye on a ballet leotard which someone is selling for £3 (new cost £18), I've messaged them so hopefully they reply.
    The dance school hasn't changed their preschool ballet uniform ever, this year they were still wearing the same uniform I wore as a 3 year old so I think its a safe bet buying this leotard.
    I can now see why my mum got annoyed when I didn't look after my dance wear, even the socks are £2 a pair!

Baby is still on the waiting list for parent and child swimming.

I think I need to make a 'childrens clubs' pot as well
  • Caspeia
    Options
    Ballet uniform new from shop:
    Leotard £18
    Shoes £12.50
    Socks: £2

Total cost: £32.50 (can't count as put £42.50 before, oops!)

Secondhand leotard £3, found some shoes & socks on an ebay shop (not buying these until after summer). Shoes are £5.89 and socks are £1.80. Total cost: £10.69

£21.81 saving! Hopefully I can do the same with her other uniform but can't really look in to it until I've got the confirmed list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure