Cash deposits - how does your bank do it?

Options
2»

Comments

• wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lloyds go to self serve machine enter the sort code and account number and you’re done
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Grabs39 wrote: »
    When I worked in a bank (quit nearly 6 years ago) it was very normal for customers to come in with a sort code and account number on the back of an envelope and pay cash into that account. Never a significant amount (relatively speaking) if memory serves, bormally a couple of hundred quid.

Was more bank branches back then. Insignificant amounts add up.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    I think with Bank of Scotland you'd have to use your card and pay the money into your own account, then do a transfer.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Options
    I've worked in various client service roles - including 2 for different banks - and regularly been faced with 'but other companies allow me to do it this way'.

Its almost always either a lie or irrelevant.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 February 2019 at 1:37PM
    Options
    Nationwide told me that current accounts require a debit card and pin, but I was able to over my mortgage without any form of id as they don't issue a card for those.
    but even a year later I'm being faced with customers who insist that "my other bank lets me pay in with just a sort code and account number".

Do they refuse to tell you who their other bank is and how long ago they did it?

It's also possible that the computer system allows it, but the staff aren't supposed to do it and sometimes they just do it for an easy life or they weren't properly trained.

Or it's a lie that the person tells because they are embarrassed that you won't do something that they have asked you to do.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Halifax, Lloyds, and Bank Of Scotland you can pay in via the IDM with just the sort code and account number but you can't any more if using the counter as they require you to enter the card and if you are not a customer of that bank you are asked to pay it into your account and transfer it over or use the IDM machine.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Barclays community account for sports and social clubs etc:
    Letter last year to Treasurer stating the cash will henceforth only be accepted accompanied by a pre-printed paying in slip from our account paying in book as provided by Barclays.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Smile Current Account - cash over Post Office counter with card, cheque in paying in envelope with paying in slip

Nationwide FlexAccount - cash over counter with card

I recently tried to pay £26 cash into my 13 year old son's Nationwide FlexOne account without his card but they wouldn't do it, even though I'm his mum and the counter staff know us. It had had to go into my account, and then they transferred it across.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure